Searching for a small narrowboat (under 32ft)

larrysanders

Featured Posts

I've been looking for a small narrowboat for quite a while now but there aren't many on the market at the moment.  I previously owned a Springer Waterbug and loved it but now I'm looking for one upto around 30 feet.  Maximum length of my mooring is 32ft.  Anyone  seen anything on the market.?   I've looked at a Midway 235, any other suggestions upto 20k... ? Any help much appreciated.  

You're on a hiding to nothing here, I very much doubt any new boats of that sort of length are being built nowadays so they are sort of withering on the vine.  Also, there are inherent problems overplating a short boat, so as these craft get to that stage there's less chance of them getting a new lease of life compared to a 50 footer.  

I think Alan makes a good point re grp, you do see Highbridge 32's on the market from time to time and I've always thought these are a very practical option for a single person, also more likely to have been cared for than an elderly steel boat.  

Trouble is you could wear out a lot of shoe leather finding a decent boat, TBH in this situation might be better to let the boat find you, if you know what I mean.  I wouldn't waste time travelling hundreds of miles to look at tired boats.  

OTOH if you come across something like an old Hancock & Lane "Marlin" I'd definitely have a look, these are cracking little boats and worth preserving. 

34 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

You're on a hiding to nothing here, I very much doubt any new boats of that sort of length are being built nowadays.

Why would you doubt that? Indeed they are, for example Aintree Boats' 'Beetle' range which I think includes a 27' and a 30' model as well as larger sizes, and ABC's 'Minimax' which comes in sizes of 28' upwards. Midland Canal centre built, until very recently, their 'Little Gem' range, the shortest of which was 31' from memory, but I believe that the builders have just retired.

That said, I suggest that you look for a 30' Springer. The ones which I've seen make good use of space, especially those which have no front well deck.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And "The Little Boat Company" but they may be too new to fit the OPs budget.

Good point, Tony - I had not noticed the O.P.'s limited budget until now. Ah well, back to the 30' Springer, then.

Apollo Duck currently have 15 narrowboats of 32' and under for sale, a number of which fall within the O.P.'s price range.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

Why would you doubt that? Indeed they are, for example Aintree Boats' 'Beetle' range which I think includes a 27' and a 30' model as well as larger sizes, and ABC's 'Minimax' which comes in sizes of 28' upwards. Midland Canal centre built, until very recently, their 'Little Gem' range, the shortest of which was 31' from memory, but I believe that the builders have just retired.............................................................

Yes, I stand corrected, but I can't think these boats are being sold in great numbers.  

As far as the "Little Boat Company" is concerned I would strongly advise steering clear.  If anyone wants to know why I'll communicate by by PM.  

• 2 weeks later...

...which is perhaps a blessing in disguise, as it's also out of your size range - you told us that the maximum length which your mooring would accommodate was 32 feet. It is a nice-looking boat, mind, but would look less nice once you had cut three feet off one end.

On 3/7/2017 at 08:36, Neil2 said:

Also, there are inherent problems overplating a short boat, so as these craft get to that stage there's less chance of them getting a new lease of life compared to a 50 footer.  

Why is there a problem with over plating a short boat?

17 minutes ago, larrysanders said:

Thanks for all these replies.   I'm looking at this Liverpool 35 which is currently on Ebay.  Lovely boat but a little out of my price range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/narrow-boat-/201855867708?hash=item2eff8c1b3c:g:zC4AAOSwWxNYywih

theres a brand new 30ft come up at Oundle Marina Village  at £19,950 with a 20hp honda outboard if that helps

30 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Why is there a problem with over plating a short boat?

I've always understood it's to do with the disproportionate effect on average density (compared to a large boat).  Which means overplating is likely to pull a short boat down in the water to a greater extent.  I don't know the physics but it always seems to really kick in with anything 30 foot and under, depending on the extent of of the plating.

Some years ago I looked at a 30 footer that had been overplated.  The water level in the weed hatch was barely 1/2" from the top.  

Just now, Neil Smith said:

Why am I getting all the replies to this post in my private email, I have not even sent a post about it.

Neil

You followed it on March 8th.  Button is at top of page.  Presume you can hit again to unfollow.

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I've always understood it's to do with the disproportionate effect on average density (compared to a large boat).  Which means overplating is likely to pull a short boat down in the water to a greater extent.  I don't know the physics but it always seems to really kick in with anything 30 foot and under, depending on the extent of of the plating.

Some years ago I looked at a 30 footer that had been overplated.  The water level in the weed hatch was barely 1/2" from the top.  

Surely all that means is you have to remove a corresponding amount of ballast to reduce the draft again. Admittedly that is easier in some boats than others, depending on if/how the floors are fixed down and how much of the floor is covered with fitted furniture.

Just now, David Mack said:

Surely all that means is you have to remove a corresponding amount of ballast to reduce the draft again. Admittedly that is easier in some boats than others, depending on if/how the floors are fixed down and how much of the floor is covered with fitted furniture.

With a short boat most of the floor is going to be covered with fixtures, very unlikely to have been designed with ballast removal in mind.

But in any case, you have less to play with, the shorter the boat.   At the extreme end is the Springer Waterbug which even with 3mm plating had no ballast at all so not much you can do to mitigate the effect of overplating.  This, I suspect, is why you rarely see them these days.  

Outboard powered boats like the Waterbug can have a very shallow depth (but also no problems with weedhatch too close to the waterline). But any inboard engined narrowboat will need ballast to get the prop deep enough in the water, so potentially has ballast which can be removed (accepting the difficulties of doing so).