what fridge

Featured Posts

Get a mains fridge.  Consider what temperature you want it to work at.  very few fridges will work if the inside of your boat falls below 10C and may, even be damaged.  If you switch it off when away then this won't be a problem.  Modern fridges are very efficient and the energy use dos not vary a lot between the good and the very good.  You need at least a small icebox for the evening gin and tonic.  There are some very good 12V fridges but they cost a bomb.

If you go for mains - as I did - not all fridges are rated SN/ST which indicates a wider range of temperatures the fridge is designed to work over.  

I just googled it as I could not remember but a 'normal' fridge is 16~32c with a Sn going down to 10c and st going upto 38c.  But with modern coolant gasses it may be that most now cover the wider range.

Beko make some fridges that work in cold houses, garages and boats.  There are other threads on this subject.  One company, making 12V fridges, has manuals claiming that they work at minus ten but this is a misprint as I confirmed by email.

Edited by mross

36 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

If it got to minus 10c on my boat, the last thing I would worry about would be if the fridge was working.

phil

One wonders at the point of a fridge 'cooling' its contents to 6C above ambient ;)

It's only a concern if you want to leave the fridge on, maybe with some spoilable food in - The temperature drops below plus 10 at night but goes above plus four in the day - (the ideal temp) and the fridge fails...........................................

When it's constantly 4 or below you can store food outside.  My house fridge/freezer failed when I left the heating off over winter.  I used to leave fridge on when I went to sea to avoid it going mouldy or smelly.

All fridges are rated according to the maximum and minimum ambient temperatures they will continue to function efficiently in. Many Beko appliances can run at lower temperatures than the climate class shown, so be sure to check your specific model. The three climate classes are: 
SN (Sub Normal) +10°C - +32°C 
N (Normal) +16°C - +32°C 
(Sub Tropical) +18°C - +38°C

Edited by mross

3 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I've nailed my colours to the mast many times on this one, 12v every time. I've tried to get everything on 12v because any problem with invertor loses your 240v fridge this appears to be more so with combi units

Phil

Me too.  I'd get a Waeco.  

I'm saying no more until I'm convinced this topic isn't a wind up.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, dreadnought said:

hi,i`m at the stage of my nb fitout that i`m looking to buy a fridge,can any one on the forum recommend a good fridge for a nb, many thanks 

Depends GREATLY on lifestyle and boat spec. If the boat is to be a liveaboard in a marina plugged in with very few if any days out ont cut then its a no brainer, go for a mains fridge there are far more choices/colours/sizes and they are HUMUNGOUSLY cheaper than 12 volt jobbies. If you are cruising mainly with a low spec fitout and small or no inverter then 12 volt or gas ( I like gas ) but hard to do gas properly these days. If you have a mid/high spec boat like mine is then its harder to say. I have had mains and still prefer it as modern good quality inverters are now very efficient and last years before they go pop and that boats inverter was on 24/7 365. This boat has 12volt which is what was on when I bought it but if it goes pop I will deffo buy mains simply down to not wanting to pay 500 quid for a 150 quid fridge and this inverter is awesome. There are of course many other variations.

23 minutes ago, mross said:

LG and Samsung do very well in the Which? reviews.        

Yet Samsung go wrong so very often. At least the American style fridge-freezers do.

When ours became terminal I asked the refrigeration engineer what to buy as a replacement and he said "Anything but Samsung". Nevertheless Currys were doing a deal on a Samsung which had a 2 year guarantee plus a 10 year compressor guarantee so we bought another Samsung anyway. 

1 hour ago, dreadnought said:

apparently if one drops on you out of a tree,it can cause memory loss,

See, it proves that you learn more on here than by going to university (oblique reference to current posts on the Brexit thread :P)

If you want a fridge freezer (and we do), the Liebherr do some good models - very economical, but they are quite tall. e.g. CTP2121  is 1200mm high, but it's a big fridge and a decent sized freezer as well. We don't like stopping for shopping when we cruise!

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased a fridge from Inlander Low Voltage, this one - https://www.inlanderlowvoltage.com/product/12v-lec-55cm-white-under-counter-fridge--12

It's absolutely brilliant. Loads of space, good sized freezer compartment (16L) - and is a proper freezer, that will freeze down to -18c. You have about 16L of freezer space. Cost £550 - I did loads of research and there wasn't really one that came close to the fridge size for the money. Obviously time will tell if it continues to perform but so far, so good.