Shoreline Electrical Points (Hook ups)

KMK21

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, KMK21 said:

Crikey don't even start them off is my feeling ! They know nothing about our cruising/mooring etc . Only joined here last week I am off !

Don't go. They are a well meaning bunch, and may end up prolonging the life of your batteries 

7 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Why would they be goosed in a year please?

Because your solar will give you virtually no useful output for three months of the year. When you are iced in and cannot cruise and have zero solar how are you going to charge the batteries without a charger?

If you get advice you don't like sit and think a minute, please.  We do know nothing about your cruising because you have not told us.  I'm worried that your expensive batteries will not last a year.  It's no skin off my nose, I was only trying to help!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Crikey don't even start them off is my feeling ! They know nothing about our cruising/mooring etc . Only joined here last week I am off !

So tell us. Then, if I'm wrong, I'll apologise. 

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

May be back this time next year asking why expensive batteries no longer stay charged for more than a few hours.

Sadly so. But a flounce obviously felt good. 

Chaps - no I am not gone. I am however a bit horrified about how you all make assumptions about things you know nothing about?

I asked a specific question in the General Forum about a shore line and potential connections. That was it.

I think we are battery covered thank you my hubby is a diesel engineer for 30+ years, original question was about LECKY 240 - Would a RCD be present in the marina ?. The Shoreline - but lets leave that then 

Thanks for your input  

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Sadly so. But a flounce obviously felt good. 

Really ? :-)

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Chaps - no I am not gone. I am however a bit horrified about how you all make assumptions about things you know nothing about?

I asked a specific question in the General Forum about a shore line and potential connections. That was it.

I think we are battery covered thank you my hubby is a diesel engineer for 30+ years, original question was about LECKY 240 - Would a RCD be present in the marina ?. The Shoreline - but lets leave that then 

Thanks for your input  

Please don't be so blinkered , there is so many people trying to help you, lets face it, you have gone from a lead through the window of similar to a proper AC system, it was then suggested you also fit a good charger, the ideal time to do it. When you said you don't need it people are trying to explain why you do.  The choice at the end of the day is yours. Hubby may be a first class diesel fitter but he is not an electrician why you are asking someone else to do it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, KMK21 said:

Hi

Please dont run off. This is a VERY friendly forum BUT we all allow ourselves to have a personality. Mine is a pee taking type ( especialy over bogs ) but to understand it takes time. The forum is RENOWNED for its battery threads and we all have some considerable knowledge on the subject, some of us through many years of liveaboard use and some of us through proffesional knowledge etc. I am no battery expert but IF you dont have a good charging system your batteries will be goosed in a few short months. Solar panels are great but dont do it all. Take a peek at the running battery threads to see what I mean. Then chill out we are friendly realy :D

55 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Thanks for your input  

It's unfortunate that you didn't join a few weeks ago, if so you'd know that there have been several threads recently on battery problems from people who think they've done all they should have done but nevertheless their batteries are goosed after a short time That is all the posters on this thread have been alluding to. Please try not to take it as some sort of personal insult. It isn't!

Anyway, regarding your original question, chances are the bollard does have an RCD. However there is also the Boat Safety Scheme to consider. This requires that a shore power connection to a boat does pass through a consumer unit which preferably includes an RCD, in the boat. If you choose to wire an immersion heater direct to the shore bollard without passing through a consumer unit, be aware that you are doing something that is not acceptable to the BSS. IMO it's not particularly dangerous but there is always the, admittedly improbable, issue that if you invalidate your BSS (or your RCD certification) and then something bad happens, you will be right in the poo. My advice is that if you are going to bring mains power onto the boat, do it properly. It is not hard to do it correctly.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It's unfortunate that you didn't join a few weeks ago, if so you'd know that there have been several threads recently on battery problems from people who think they've done all they should have done but nevertheless their batteries are goosed after a short time That is all the posters on this thread have been alluding to. Please try not to take it as some sort of personal insult. It isn't!

Anyway, regarding your original question, chances are the bollard does have an RCD. However there is also the Boat Safety Scheme to consider. This requires that a shore power connection to a boat does pass through a consumer unit which preferably includes an RCD, in the boat. If you choose to wire an immersion heater direct to the shore bollard without passing through a consumer unit, be aware that you are doing something that is not acceptable to the BSS. IMO it's not particularly dangerous but there is always the, admittedly improbable, issue that if you invalidate your BSS (or your RCD certification) and then something bad happens, you will be right in the poo. My advice is that if you are going to bring mains power onto the boat, do it properly. It is not hard to do it correctly.

Thank you......... at last a constructive post and input that is relative to my initial question ! So, we have already asked the Marina to get us a quote for this connect to shore to do it properly.. By the way OUR BATTERIES ARE FINE !

3 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Thank you......... at last a constructive post and input that is relative to my initial question ! So, we have already asked the Marina to get us a quote for this connect to shore to do it properly.. By the way OUR BATTERIES ARE FINE !

If your getting someone to install a shoreline connection to your boat then I would get them to put a battery charger on as well, you don't need anything big (something like 15amp)  as your on shore power but it is worth doing for just the winter months (even if your not using the boat).   The cost of the charger (around £130-200) will be negligible by the amount of extended lifespan that your batteries would gain (and I presume you have some expensive ones from your comments above).

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If your getting someone to install a shoreline connection to your boat then I would get them to put a battery charger on as well, you don't need anything big (something like 15amp)  as your on shore power but it is worth doing for just the winter months (even if your not using the boat).   The cost of the charger (around £130-200) will be negligible by the amount of extended lifespan that your batteries would gain (and I presume you have some expensive ones from your comments above).

THE BATTERIES ARE FINE! 

:)  no batteries are fine unless you charge them to 100% on a daily basis,  apart from lithium as they different breed all together.

How do you know that they aren't? :rolleyes:

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

:)  no batteries are fine unless you charge them to 100% on a daily basis,  apart from lithium as they different breed all together.

Shhh, OP knows best.