Shoreline Electrical Points (Hook ups)

KMK21

Featured Posts

Hi Folks

Can someone tell us if the fixed shoreline point that you plug your boat in to a shoreline within the marina has an RCD built in it? I would assume they do being near water? I ask as our boat doesn't have 240v on it at present but the calorifier I installed a while back does have a 1kw immersion heater built in that I could if I wanted put a shoreline plug on to and on the rare occasion we may want to stop overnight in the marina and not have to run the engine to have hot water I could attach it to the marine point that we pay for even though we have never used it - as no 240v on board. I am asking as I don't know whether to purchase a shoreline with an rcd unit on the end of it or  a standard one without. We would prefer not to get fried !!!!!

The IET code of practice for electrical installations in marinas and the BS for electrical installations both call for a RCD at the connection point. However, I do not know when your marina was built and it may pre-date these rules.

Any RCD should be fairly obvious so why not have a look? It will also have a test button.

N

31 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The IET code of practice for electrical installations in marinas and the BS for electrical installations both call for a RCD at the connection point. However, I do not know when your marina was built and it may pre-date these rules.

Any RCD should be fairly obvious so why not have a look? It will also have a test button.

N

OK thanks for that. We only just arrived at this new marina. Yesterday was our first day there after the boat was moved on Tuesday.  Hubby looked at the point which looked very modern but the RCD question did not pass our mind at the time as we had not thought about the potential to hook up for some water. As I say we don't have 240 volt ! Thanks again

34 minutes ago, mross said:

How do you intend to make the connection at the other end, ie, to the immersion heater?

Hi, When my hubby fitted the new calorifier he intentionally attached a cable to the immersion thinking in the future we may be able to put a blue waterproof shoreline plug onto the end of it and plug it directly into our mobile generator if we wanted to. Now we are on a mooring with a fixed electrical point (that we have to pay for whether we use it or not) it makes sense to consider using it for hot water rather than running the engine and annoying people if we we either want to stay overnight in the marina of get some hot water before cruising. 

Understood.  But it is not best practise to run mains cables through the boat or through a window IN THE LONG TERM.  Ideally you would have a fixed installation with you own RCD.  Others will be along to give their opinion/advice.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mross said:

Understood.  But it is not best practise to run mains cables through the boat or through a window IN THE LONG TERM.  Ideally you would have a fixed installation with you own RCD.  Others will be along to give their opinion/advice.

OK got you 100% - windows were not considered (we are not that silly :-) ) and given we were thinking about a 1 hour "pop" to warm up the water we were just asking as 240v novices :-) . Have now spoken to Marina and am having them quote/fit appropriate fitting to attach said to shore. Thanks for input 

to save disrupting the interior you can have a waterproof blue plug on the roof near the bathroom and then run cable to the immersion heater.  But long term you really need a mains consumer unit with circuit breakers and RCD.

28 minutes ago, mross said:

to save disrupting the interior you can have a waterproof blue plug on the roof near the bathroom and then run cable to the immersion heater.  But long term you really need a mains consumer unit with circuit breakers and RCD.

Our immersion is in the back wardrobe right at the stern so pretty easy and hopefully not too much disruption. Have asked for a quote - thanks guys

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Also plan for a good marine battery charger at some time.

Hi Mross

Maybe....... but we have solar that works really well for us and also recently invested in 450 ah of REAL deep cycle traction batteries, proper monitoring system and charge controller so think we are ok there. ;-) Water is our only "thang" at the moment as it is not on demand :-)

2 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Hi Mross

Maybe....... but we have solar that works really well for us and also recently invested in 450 ah of REAL deep cycle traction batteries, proper monitoring system and charge controller so think we are ok there. ;-) Water is our only "thang" at the moment as it is not on demand :-)

Don't start this lot off on equalization charges and hydrometer readings...... Please

6 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

Hi Mross

It would be on demand with a Morco gas instantaneous hot water heater.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, KMK21 said:

What is ?

Your charging system. With no marine charger (and presumably no generator) your batteries will be a cause for tears by this time next year. 

2 minutes ago, mross said:

You batteries will be goosed after the first winter.  Or, do you have a generator?

Why would they be goosed in a year please? We don't sit in Marina all year around, and we are domestic users. We have solar that keeps them topped up and as of yet we have never seem them drop below 85% - what do you know that we don't ?. And yes we do have a Generator - don't use it 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Your charging system. With no marine charger (and presumably no generator) your batteries will be a cause for tears by this time next year. 

1 minute ago, KMK21 said:

Why would they be goosed in a year please? We don't sit in Marina all year around, and we are domestic users. We have solar that keeps them topped up and as of yet we have never seem them drop below 85% - what do you know that we don't ?. And yes we do have a Generator - don't use it 

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Don't start this lot off on equalization charges and hydrometer readings...... Please

Crikey don't even start them off is my feeling ! They know nothing about our cruising/mooring etc . Only joined here last week I am off !

• Greenie 1