Towergate recommend chaining up your boat!

mross

Featured Posts

Well let's be fair, it just says "when mooring in populated areas, consider using chains to tie up your boat". Nothing unreasonable about that and folk do it, for example in central Birmingham, to prevent nuisance castings off at night. It's one pretty long pound and seems unlikely that there would be significant level changes in a hurry. Doing it half way up a lock flight would be a bad idea though!

I often use a discrete and loose chain if mooring on a river in a place where letting boats loose is a known problem. If we are on pins then I drop a mud weight over the side though don't really know how effective this would be.

.................Dave

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

I often use a discrete and loose chain if mooring on a river in a place where letting boats loose is a known problem. If we are on pins then I drop a mud weight over the side though don't really know how effective this would be.

.................Dave

Another method is too hammer two pins in at right angle to each other and padlock them to the chain, you then can't remove one pin due to the other stopping it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Another method is too hammer two pins in at right angle to each other and padlock them to the chain, you then can't remove one pin due to the other stopping it.

That's a neat idea, I will try that. I feel the main thing is to be a bit discrete, big obvious chains and padlocks are sort of putting two fingers up to the let-loosers who might then do something worse. There was a spate of letting loose on the river in Bath a couple of years back (including one very scary near miss with a boat heading toward a weir in the night) and once chains were routinely use the perpetrators starting turning up with bolt croppers.

......................Dave

10 hours ago, mross said:

Towergate recommend securing your boat against theft by chaining it up!  Will they pay out if canal floods?  Or if people can't move it in the event of a nearby fire?

https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/boat-insurance/narrowboat-security

I think they ought to change their name to "Watergate"

:)