Electric Engines

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Detling said:

Out of interest re diesel future, the current hype is mainly about Nox, if you stopped all diesel transport for a week the (national)  NOx level may fall by 25%  as gas burning produces it. So all these gas fired power stations to provide base load, and all that central heating in houses, oh dear they produce 50% of the UK's Nox , Particulates are mainly from oil burning or coal, so a poorly maintained banger leaving a smoke screen is by far the worst, whatever the fuel.

how does burning natural gas (a hydrocarbon) produce anything other than CO (minimal or none), CO2 and H2O?

.............. just checked on Google - I never knew that!  :blush:

Edited by Murflynn

22 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

When I was a going to school on a school bus some lad grabbed the pole and swung out with the bus still doing a good 10 mph in order to hit the ground running.

Pillar box.

I ended up in a rubbish bin like that

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It would seen that the chancellor has hinted at tax rises on diesel vehicles later this year mmmmmm wonder why he is going to do that? perhaps its because they are killing people 

I would be more inclined to believe that it's because he's the chancellor and his job is to get money into the treasury. Increasing tax on the vehicles doesn't make sense if the aim is to reduce emissions as the level of pollutant is directly related to the amount of fuel burnt. The logical answer is to increase the tax on the fuel but this would upset the real polluters who use the most fuel such as corporations that make generous political donations.

2 minutes ago, stegra said:

I would be more inclined to believe that it's because he's the chancellor and his job is to get money into the treasury. Increasing tax on the vehicles doesn't make sense if the aim is to reduce emissions as the level of pollutant is directly related to the amount of fuel burnt. The logical answer is to increase the tax on the fuel but this would upset the real polluters who use the most fuel such as corporations that make generous political donations.

No its because the Government has been taken to court twice and has to reduce diesel emissions by law and come up with a plan that meets the courts approval 

Just ban the most polluting diesels from towns, whilst it may infringe your 'right' to drive a cat into town, it is at the expense of children that have a right to air that is not reducing the life expectancy of many.  We quite happily ban passive smoking in buildings, so why not ban the very worst diesel cars in towns?

In answer to 'and how do I get to town? you can either get a petrol car or use the bus.

On 09/03/2017 at 13:50, Chewbacka said:

Just ban the most polluting diesels from towns, whilst it may infringe your 'right' to drive a cat into town, it is at the expense of children that have a right to air that is not reducing the life expectancy of many.  We quite happily ban passive smoking in buildings, so why not ban the very worst diesel cars in towns?

In answer to 'and how do I get to town? you can either get a petrol car or use the bus.

I'd be interested to hear how I'm supposed to take all my tools, descaling equipment and stocks of parts with me on the bus when I go into towns to mend boilers. Or even in a petrol car!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd be interested to hear how I'm supposed to take all my tools, descaling equipment and stocks of parts with me on the bus when I go into towns to mend boilers. Or even in a petrol car!

I did say most polluting, not all.  so if your van is not that bad then for now no problem.  

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Got stopped years ago by one of those highway agency census/questionnaire  takers, transit, chipper, 3 blokes, climbing kit, chainsaws, plus all the various bits and pieces of daily work life and one of the questions was

"Could you use public transport to complete your journey?"

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can just imagine the reaction if you got on a bus wearing all the protective gear and carrying a chainsaw!!

On the way back home we would just as likely  to be thrown off the bus for simply smelling :)

3 hours ago, I Spartacus said:

I live in the low emission zone, old smokers are not allowed otherwise £250 fine a day, has helped a lot since it has started not much smog now. in London

So cars are not effected and 4X4 or pickups have to be 15 years old before they are effected.

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

No its because the Government has been taken to court twice and has to reduce diesel emissions by law and come up with a plan that meets the courts  approval 

This wouldn't be the Court Case brought by Client Earth for the Government failing to meet the requirement of EU Directives would it? If so, 2 years down the road are they going to be bovvered?? don't forget we're 'taking back control' so they can change the law and stuff those poor saps dying from pollution:unsure:

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

This wouldn't be the Court Case brought by Client Earth for the Government failing to meet the requirement of EU Directives would it? If so, 2 years down the road are they going to be bovvered?? don't forget we're 'taking back control' so they can change the law and stuff those poor saps dying from pollution:unsure:

Yep well said. We soon will not have any poxy " EU " directives to follow they will be for " EU " members lubbly jubbly....................

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Even when we are no longer bound by EU directives, I think the genie is out of the bottle on this one and public opinion will expect things done to improve air quality.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Even when we are no longer bound by EU directives, I think the genie is out of the bottle on this one and public opinion will expect things done to improve air quality.

To be honest, until we have a viable opposition, public opinion counts for nothing. If they don't like what the Government are doing (or in this case, not doing) what are they going to do? Vote them out at the next election? then what? For those who celebrate the demise of the Labour Party, this will become the 'Brave New World', frankly a Government that can do just what it wants. There have been complaints about Government inaction over City air pollution from traffic for a number of years, even when threatened by the EU nothing has happened, once out of the EU I expect even less to happen about it.

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

To be honest, until we have a viable opposition, public opinion counts for nothing. If they don't like what the Government are doing (or in this case, not doing) what are they going to do? Vote them out at the next election? then what? For those who celebrate the demise of the Labour Party, this will become the 'Brave New World', frankly a Government that can do just what it wants. There have been complaints about Government inaction over City air pollution from traffic for a number of years, even when threatened by the EU nothing has happened, once out of the EU I expect even less to happen about it.

I dont know about this normally I would agree, but I think in this case the inertia has been overcome, and the roll has started. By the time we leave the EU diesels will be either banned from cities, or the toll will be to expensive to be viable for most