Check Current BSC

mark99

Featured Posts

Copies of Certificates: Copies of lost certificates can only be supplied to registered owners/keepers of the boat in question and there can be a fee payable. We check personal details with the registering navigation authority. If your examiner has not provided you with a copy, please ask him for a copy. Certificate details are not available on the BSS website for members of the public. Only navigation authority staff, BSS examiners and the BSS office staff have access to the information. Some navigation authorities are now providing an online information service for their registered boating customers.

So I suggest you contact CaRT or EA.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/contact-us/

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Log on to online licensing https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat

Your BSC details should be there, mine are.

I tried the link but can't find my BSS details. Too many pages and menus - none of which help. Any ideas where to look please?

I needed to check on this because I'm just about to renew my insurance and Euromarine want to see a copy.

I told them it is all done on line, and the fact I had a direct reference number, meant I had a current cert. But no! They waffled on about access restrictions and date protection.

As an aside and a general comment, Are Euromarine competitive nowadays??

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

I needed to check on this because I'm just about to renew my insurance and Euromarine want to see a copy.

Are they suggesting that if you do not have a BSSC then your insurance is invalid (or they will not issue you with insurance) ?

This relates to something I posted some time ago and it was Pooh-Pooh'd as being totally wrong, and I was told that once the BSSC was issued it remained in force for 4 years.

I suggested that if you made a modification to your boat that was not in compliance with the BSS (lets say something as simple as you decided to keep 2 gas bottles in your locker without enlarging the drain hole, or ensuring it was of sufficient size to meet the requirements) then your BSS was invalidated and would be cancelled, in accordance with the BSS T&Cs

The owner’s on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority. The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made....

Without a BSSC, your insurance would be invalid and you would have no 'cover'.

I would always advise any buyers to check that the boat is STILL BSS compliant, as if they buy it, insure it and something happens it may turn out that the seller had done 'some work' before selling it which meant it did not comply, and hence the new owner (allbeit in all innocence) now has no cover.

2 hours ago, Horace42 said:

I tried the link but can't find my BSS details. Too many pages and menus - none of which help. Any ideas where to look please?

With this link, even with two boats it is just to clicks to see the details for either.

"My Boats"

(select correct boat)

"View/Edit"

Every detail of interest including BSS is shown.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would always advise any buyers to check that the boat is STILL BSS compliant, as if they buy it, insure it and something happens it may turn out that the seller had done 'some work' before selling it which meant it did not comply, and hence the new owner (allbeit in all innocence) now has no cover.

Insurers may have a case to reject a claim if they could prove a known non complaint defect caused a loss. 

But its not correct to say there would be no cover.

I have only owned two boats. The first had a new BSS at the point I bought it. No problems there.

The second already had a BSS certificate with year to go to renewal. I arranged a pre purchase survey.  The surveyor is also  BSS examiner so he commented on the current state of BSS compliance. I did not renew the BSS immediately because the surveyor could not get the heater working . (The heater  defect turned out to be due to dud batteries).There were some other defects and the cost of the survey was well justified.

Best to have a survey when buying a boat. It could identify a significant and potentially dangerous fault.

On 05/03/2017 at 14:19, mross said:

On CaRT's website you go to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat

then login to online licensing

click on your boat's name

and then view/edit

scroll down for BSS details

Thanks. That worked!

On 05/03/2017 at 15:07, Alan de Enfield said:

Are they suggesting that if you do not have a BSSC then your insurance is invalid (or they will not issue you with insurance) ?

This relates to something I posted some time ago and it was Pooh-Pooh'd as being totally wrong, and I was told that once the BSSC was issued it remained in force for 4 years.

I suggested that if you made a modification to your boat that was not in compliance with the BSS (lets say something as simple as you decided to keep 2 gas bottles in your locker without enlarging the drain hole, or ensuring it was of sufficient size to meet the requirements) then your BSS was invalidated and would be cancelled, in accordance with the BSS T&Cs

The owner’s on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority. The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made....

Without a BSSC, your insurance would be invalid and you would have no 'cover'.

Thanks for the feedback. Euromarine ask for sight of the BSS cert for fully comp cover it seems. Without it, they only cover Third party.

But they can't access a copy of my BSS cert online. Which defeats the facility  set up by CRT that automatically checks for current BSS and insurance. But having said that, I guess there is some point to the restricted access to prevent obtaining personal data not for public consumption. In fact hardly available to me considering the hoops I had to jump through to get at a copy myself. Thanks for the help here.

A cynical comment here. A password protects your site from improper access - well in fact I often have trouble (it's my age) getting in following precise instructions.

Even so, the BBS is an 'MOT' that shows the boat has been constructed to an acceptable standard that has to be met, and maintained, to the same (or updated) standard thereafter.

26 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

the BBS is an 'MOT' that shows the boat has been constructed to an acceptable standard 

No ...........the BSS  doesn't certify anything about the standard of the boat construction. 

The BSS involves  inspection  of  fuel and gas systems including air supply for gas appliances, mains electrics  , fire extinguishers, fire blanket , prevention of pollution (from engine oil)  .....and that's about it. 

• Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, MartynG said:

No ...........the BSS  doesn't certify anything about the standard of the boat construction. 

The BSS involves  inspection  of  fuel and gas systems including air supply for gas appliances, mains electrics  , fire extinguishers, fire blanket , prevention of pollution (from engine oil)  .....and that's about it. 

My surveyor checks the structure anyway as a matter of professional competence and pride.

• 4 years later...
6 minutes ago, Sigard said:

I’m looking to buy a boat, the seller tells me it has a BSC but has mislaid it, is there any way I can check if the BSC is still current?

You could try asking the BSS  and see if they will tell you.

You cannot access the database directly, only the Navigation authority and the owner can do that.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

32 minutes ago, Sigard said:

Why is it such a secret! After all I can check if a car is licensed (taxed) and MOTed why not a boat? I can now understand why there are so many dodgy looking boats about!

Is the boat registered, if so by default it must have a BSS when the licence was issued

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Is the boat registered, if so by default it must have a BSS when the licence was issued

But the BSS could run out the day after it was licensed, it only needs a valid BSS at the time of licensing.

Just now, Rob-M said:

But the BSS could run out the day after it was licensed, it only needs a valid BSS at the time of licensing.

That is why I said when it was issued. A car may have an MOT but it may not comply a day after its issued

49 minutes ago, Sigard said:

Why is it such a secret! After all I can check if a car is licensed (taxed) and MOTed why not a boat? I can now understand why there are so many dodgy looking boats about!

The Government runs the DVLA, C&RT (who cannot organise a drink in a brewing establishment) organise Boat licensing, and BSSC documentation.

You can check is a boat is licenced, but unless you own it you cannot check it has a BSSC and insurance.

If the owner who has 'lost' ** the BSSC certificate logs onto his licence account with C&RT (assuming it is a CART registered boat) then he can see / screen print the fact it has a BSSC

I take it that you are aware that having a BSS is not an indication of the condition of the boat, it is simply a check to make sure it will not kill any passers-by either on boats or on the tow-path and will not pollute the canal with fuel or oil.

From the BSS :

About the BSS Examination and its limitations

Please note: the BSS Examination findings, and examination report, relate only to the facts observed at the time of the BSS Examination. It is not evidence of compliance with the navigation authorities’ requirements at any other time.

The owner’s on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority.  The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made; or if a hire boat or other type of non-private boat is examined against the ‘private boat’ category of BSS checks.

A BSS examination and examination report relates only to the relevant version of the BSS Examination Checking Procedures published on boatsafetyscheme.org. Depending upon the nature of the specific check, the examination may be confined to items that can be seen, reached or touched.

A BSS examination is not a full condition survey, nor is it an indication that the vessel is fit for purpose.  For example, it does not cover the condition of the hull or deck, the integrity of through-hull fittings or the stability of the boat and it isn’t the same as having your boat serviced and doesn’t check its general mechanical condition.

Prospective boat purchasers are strongly advised to satisfy themselves about all aspects of a vessel’s condition by commissioning a pre-purchase survey before committing themselves to becoming new owners. Some surveyors are also authorised BSS Examiners and may be willing to carry out a BSS examination whilst surveying the craft if contracted so to do.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks  Alan de Enfield she has no interest in  logging on, she told me it has one, and if I asked her to log on she would think I’m calling her a liar!

it does have a licence, and the fact there’s a new CO alarm (the packet is still on board) I’ve got to except it does have one, but it’s a shame I can’t check.

At this point I would like to add that on my previous boat I never had any insurance, but had no issues getting a licence every year.  

Negotiate the £150 off that a BSS test will cost you if she won't provide any proof. A printout, or a screen shot of the details on the CaRT screen would be enough. All you know at the moment is that it has between the last license purchase and four years to run.