Messages in jest.

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

You can't concern yourself about others' short comings Laurie, you just carry on mate. We love you as you are.

What he said. You're a good man Laurie :)

8 hours ago, Murflynn said:

The question is, can two speak perfectly understood English to one another if they are from different cultural backgrounds?

Could I have a meaningful intelligent discussion with Trump, no.  But there are some posters here who can't spell or punctuate and yet their posts are perfectly clear.

Someone, like Trump, who only knows about 200 words can not be capable of much thought.  He seems to be purely reactive, in the moment.

Personally I rejoice in the differences in English imposed by location. What a boring place it would be if we all used the style the BBC adopted in the 1950s.

I have no difficulty in having meaningful discussions with people from different cultural backgrounds and ethnic or religious persuasions, especially the pretty ones! :)

6 hours ago, Ange said:

What he said. You're a good man Laurie :)

Gosh

:)

:blush:

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably, by this, you do mean 'a teacher of English' rather than an 'English teacher'.

Or, are you just being 'nationalistic' ?

Brill

If it helps, my English teacher told me in short that if didn't like English he was not prepared to teach me. We where taught about proposed convoluted double and secondary meanings of lines in an anthology, asked to write a piece on if Hamlet was mad or not, and read of mice and men.

I failed my GCSE getting a D and E all other results including subjects taken a year early where A's or B's.

Having resat at the start of my A-levels to get the C grading that would allow me to study Maths Physics and Design Tech before going on to study Engineering. I taught myself when to use there/their/they're and spell words like beautiful in my early to mid 20's using online information and my father proof reading my university work and job applications for me.

Daniel

I can ask Richard to look at additional emoticons but this will not be for a few weeks yet.

Thanks

On 04/03/2017 at 13:57, Laurie.Booth said:

Over the past, I have posted replies in jest. 

Some people have taken these replies as a serious comment, which is understandable.

For an example

OP "How do I get finance for my boat?"

Me " Rob a bank"

Is there any way the forum could produce/suggest an Emoticon that could be placed after the message to show it is a joke reply?

I get this too with my occasional ludicrous/outrageous comment which was obviously written with tongue firmly in cheek. Someone always takes me seriously! :banghead:

Edit to add: 

Laurie, robbing a bank is not a good way of raising boat finance. For a start its illegal and people doing it are likely to get prosecuted and put in prison. I'm amazed you didn't know this when you advised it.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I get this too with my occasional ludicrous/outrageous comment which was obviously written with tongue firmly in cheek. Someone always takes me seriously! :banghead:

Edit to add: 

Laurie, robbing a bank is not a good way of raising boat finance. For a start its illegal and people doing it are likely to get prosecuted and put in prison. I'm amazed you didn't know this when you advised it.

Excellent

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Laurie, you need to take a clearer look at the world around you. Banks are for robbing people and not for you to rob.

23 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Laurie, you need to take a clearer look at the world around you. Banks are for robbing people and not for you to rob.

Ooh! Cynic of the day award, and so early in the morning!

On 07/03/2017 at 07:00, system 4-50 said:

Puts me in mind of that other bit of old folk wisdom about banks. If you owe the bank a thousand pounds and can't pay, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a million pounds and can't pay, the bank has a problem. Very true except nowadays that values need multiplying by ten or 100!

On 05/03/2017 at 08:45, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably, by this, you do mean 'a teacher of English' rather than an 'English teacher'.

Or, are you just being 'nationalistic' ?

My Dad was an English teacher. He taught chemistry.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I get this too with my occasional ludicrous/outrageous comment which was obviously written with tongue firmly in cheek. Someone always takes me seriously! 

That's part of the fun, though. :P