Should I use extra liquid adhesive when grouting?

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, ALAN DENMAN said:

Thanks! I have some ordinary PVA glue already, could I just use this?

Can't see why not unless an expert pops up and gives a good reason. 

4 minutes ago, wonderdust said:

I would not use pva anywhere near an area that is likely get wet. Also depending on what the grout is made of it can have an adverse affect on it.

http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/threads/pva-in-grout.52112/

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/pva-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-it-as-a-tiling-primer.33645/

thanx for the links, will definitely not use PVA after reading...

I have flexible grout already and think i'll add the proper tile flex-mix additive to it to make double sure ..

Well there you go! I said others might be along who knew better :)

Interestingly, when I bought several thousand tiles, adhesive and grout from one of the tile centres about 5 years ago they threw in several bottles of Unibond Tile Primer which was/is thin PVA and told me to use it liberally on all unprimed plasterboard and chipboard flooring. I did so and to date not a single tile has moved. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Interestingly, when I bought several thousand tiles, adhesive and grout from one of the tile centres about 5 years ago they threw in several bottles of Unibond Tile Primer which was/is thin PVA and told me to use it liberally on all unprimed plasterboard and chipboard flooring. I did so and to date not a single tile has moved. 

I think that is standard practice in the trade

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

:)

10 minutes ago, mross said:

it was never meant to go in the grout!  It was meant to help the tile adhesive!

Not according to those links posted above. I'm not a tiler so I have no opinion one way or the other. It's difficult when one set of 'experts' say to use it and another set say that's rubbish.

I only have one experience of extensive tiling and that was when I did two loos, a kitchen, a corridor, a fire escape area and the floors in all those places 5 years ago whilst following the advice to liberally use PVA as a primer, and it's all as good as the day they went up.

Maybe I was lucky? Maybe the naysayers are wrong? I have no way of knowing. 

This isn't related to grout but when using PVA prior to tiling, it's supposed to still be tacky when the adhesive is applied. If the PVA has dried then of course the adhesive won't bond correctly, it's effectively going on to a sheet of plastic. I don't believe the PVA is coming 'alive' again from the moisture in the adhesive; cured PVA is almost as aquaphobic as silicone. I tend to brush on a dilute PVA mix one or two metres at a time and apply the adhesive straight away. This is almost invariably on to new plaster so it's absorbed quickly. Over less porous substrates I'll use a stronger mix and wait until it's tacky.

As for grouting, if joint movement is a real concern, perhaps latex could be used in the mix instead of water, as is done with floor levelling compound. Personally, I prefer to neatly silicone the joints in this situation; not that it's a regular occurrence.

2 hours ago, stegra said:

As for grouting, if joint movement is a real concern, perhaps latex could be used in the mix instead of water, as is done with floor levelling compound. Personally, I prefer to neatly silicone the joints in this situation; not that it's a regular occurrence.

I was given a tip by a builder friend to always use silicon as the grout in the corners of tiled stud walls. A friend was helping me out and didn't know this and he grouted one corner. It's the only corner that has cracked. 

On our first shareboat,  the shower room tiles were stuck on and grouted with silicon. In the 10 years we were on that boat the tiles remained very firmly in place.

The second shareboat used normal tile adhesive and grouting, and we had problems with water ingress to the bulkhead and tiles falling off.