New theme

RichM

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Maybe I'm hoping for too much?

You might be, if I am honest. At this stage at least.

11 minutes ago, RichM said:

To add to Dan's post above; The next minor software update will allow us to set "Condensed view" as default which we may do.

Indeed. I think I would do that, once its available. Pending public outcry....

Daniel

18 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Indeed. I think I would do that, once its available. Pending public outcry...

Just as long as you can still select a version showing the line of text, and have it "stick" for every time you visit the page. As I said above it is the presence of that line of text that shows what direction the conversation is heading so you can decide whether or not to visit the page.

I'd like to say the new skin is a MASSIVE improvement on the bloody mess Invision foisted upon us with the upgrade. Many thanks to RichM for the obvious effort put into implimenting this new interface.

In the light of experience, next time there is an upgrade can we have some advanced notice that a ground-up interface revision is coming please? In retrospect a thread here warning us of the magnitude of the change would have been most welcome, especially with some links to other forums where it had already been implemented so we could see what was coming.

I suggest a lot of the objection to the new interface here was due to the sheer complexity of the new interface, dumped on us with NO notice or advance warning of how different it would be. Along with apparently NO instructions published with the new iteration explaining the differences or showing us how to to use it. 

Edit to add:

The enormity of the cock-up can probably be assessed by a drop (or not) in the posting rate. My perception is that traffic here has dropped off a cliff since the upgrade. Are there any visitor stats visible to us Ordinary Members?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

I'm seeing an oddity with the new skin.

Where the content of the post is fairly short, and doesn't reach the bottom of the member information on the left, the blue-grey bar with the controls in it floats up to the bottom of the post, and goes right through the member info;

CWDF.thumb.png.8a1243425598cb2c33c82c15aab4e7b1.png

On 09/03/2017 at 11:43, mayalld said:

I'm seeing an oddity with the new skin.

Where the content of the post is fairly short, and doesn't reach the bottom of the member information on the left, the blue-grey bar with the controls in it floats up to the bottom of the post, and goes right through the member info;

CWDF.thumb.png.8a1243425598cb2c33c82c15aab4e7b1.png

That's partly because we still have the ridiculously large avatars next to every post making the user info take up more precious screen estate than their post, often. Just as in your screenshot.

I was able to remove the giant user avatars using AdBlock previously, but with this new theme Rich has done for us, AdBlock annoyingly seems unable to kill them off.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So far (I have only dabbled a little)  I like it.    Thanks to all concerned for their hard work on our behalf.

Ok so where is it then? How do I get to look at it or change to whatever it is.

Thankyou

Mr Brontosaurus

Edited by mrsmelly

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok so where is it then? How do I get to look at it or change to whatever it is.

Thankyou

Mr Brontosaurus

Can't claim to be an authority on this but I went to read the announcement at the top of the old page and followed a link in there.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

At the very bottom of the page is a menu called theme, click on that and select the new theme

Ahh

Thankyou..I have just looked and found it but I cant click on it is sort of pale coloured does that mean I am already on it lol?

53 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh

Thankyou..I have just looked and found it but I cant click on it is sort of pale coloured does that mean I am already on it lol?

There is a down arrow next to it click on that and it should say CWDF default and shift (or at least mine does) click on the one not highlighted and see what happens 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

There is a down arrow next to it click on that and it should say CWDF default and shift (or at least mine does) click on the one not highlighted and see what happens 

Yeah done it thanks then the whole bloomin site went awol till just now.................

35 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Has anyone noticed that the new theme does no play so nice in iPad, you easily end up with the page scrolling horizontally.

Is it not possible to do something about the forum logo size on the default theme?

Which iPad are you using? I have a 1st gen iPad mini at home but I've not tested that but will give it a test when I get home. As for the logo, I will resize it shortly after the Shift (new) theme becomes default. 

Most of my time for CWDF is consumed by server maintenance and general admin, design is not so much my area of expertise.

13 minutes ago, RichM said:

Which iPad are you using? I have a 1st gen iPad mini at home but I've not tested it that but will give it a test when I get home. As for the logo, I will resize it shortly after the Shift (new) theme becomes default. 

Most of my time for CWDF is consumed by server maintenance and general admin, design is not so much my area of expertise.

Runs ok on my iPad Air, in both orientations, but I can't see how to change the colour.

ETA found it, other end of the page from the Theme menu.

One gripe, while I'm on. Using Return to start a new para loses the automatic capital for the first letter, just a niggle but hard to get used to.

Edited by BruceinSanity
Additional content

2 hours ago, RichM said:

Which iPad are you using? I have a 1st gen iPad mini at home but I've not tested that but will give it a test when I get home. As for the logo, I will resize it shortly after the Shift (new) theme becomes default. 

iPad mini 4

That is an Apple thing, I don't think you can blame the website.  My wife's iFad has a touch keyboard that does not show you whether it will type in upper or lower case.  Its habit of capitalising the first word is a real PITA when you are entering usernames or passwords!

Edited by mross