New theme

RichM

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We've been reviewing feedback recently from our members in regards to the the new forum software. We promised to make continual improvements where possible based on user feedback and we understand that one of the common gripes is regarding the current theme. There are some things that are not quite so easy to change which we have to bear in mind, but we still have options.

One of the options is to add alternative themes. The idea here is to give users choice, meaning that they will be able to continue using the current theme should they wish. We're not going to please everyone and I think most will agree that's a given, though we can hopefully alleviate this by providing choice. 

I wanted to share with you one of the possible themes we may implement. It's not finalised yet and it's pending Daniel's sign-off but I wanted your opinions on the attached theme. This one has many benefits, including:

- Higher contrast
- Less clutter (particularly at the top where the header is)
- The ability for users to easily choose between several different colours according to their taste
- Responsive

Please ignore duplication of the gallery images.

Proposed theme:

newtheme.png

Optional colour scheme (one of many):

newtheme2.png

Optional colour scheme (one of many):

newtheme3.png

Colour palette for users to choose from:

colourpalette.png

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Looks good. Not sure that there is any benefit in having optional colour schemes.

Too much choice in my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback.

Users can just leave it as is if they don't want to change the colour. There is no requirement to pick a colour unless they want to change it if that makes sense and changing it is just a case of clicking literally two buttons.

Cheers

Rich

51 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There's "quote", "edit", "options" buttons at the bottom of each post, so that is slightly different. Or is that just cos Rich has mod powers?

Yeah that's correct. Members will only see the edit options for their own posts which is probably a good thing. :)

16 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I see there is now a theme menu at the bottom of the screen with a few options. Is this just being tested at the moment...?

It shouldn't be visible to members as it's in testing though I see it is visible for some reason! Feel free to have a play around in the meantime.

RichM

It is now selectable for all members. Sorry, skimmed the content and assumed that what you where talking about.

Following a short review process, the proposal is it becomes the default, although the current/standard theme will remain for those who prefer it.

Daniel

We've also enabled reputation to be displayed within member profiles and to compliment this there is a new Leaderboard which you may access by clicking "Leaderboard" on the main menu. It's intended to reward our frequent contributors or rather, those who receive a lot of positive feedback in the form of greenies for the posts they submit. Though it's only a bit of fun. :)

Are you still working on a variation of the theme in which the mobile version has the wasteful icon of the poster removed from before the title of each unread post - which places a lot of unwanted white space between each item ?

Can you screen shot that for me Allan? Just so we are working on the same thing?

Should be able to press and hold a pair of buttons, or the like, to take a screencapture on your phone of choice and then post an image of it.

Thanks

Much better. I shall keep the present blue and white colours though. I always find them easier on the eye, having one red eye and one green eye like. Eye eye, well done, thank you Richard.

12 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Can you screen shot that for me Allan? Just so we are working on the same thing?

Should be able to press and hold a pair of buttons, or the like, to take a screencapture on your phone of choice and then post an image of it.

Thanks

Ok how about this two? If I can work out how to attach them properly. The icon is round on the original skin and is now square but it still wastes a lot of space especially on the landscape version.

Portrait version ...

Screenshot_2017-03-08-22-25-58.thumb.png.2ca68e0ff38f827e140dbdf70ee17543.png

Landscape version ...

Screenshot_2017-03-08-22-33-54.png.75cc86ff407f61a19c96e7dad6046bbd.png

As said in the other thread Allan, its there in the default theme and the new one, you just have to select 'condensed view' which will then become how it is always shown for you.

Screenshot_2017-03-08-22-41-32.png

Let me know if you have any other issues.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel but I was hoping to be able to eliminate the icon and associated white space, whilst retaining sight of the single line of text which is what shows me the direction that the conversation has taken and therefore enables me to decide whether or not to look at the thread. The Condensed view takes that away.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much?