Marine Radio

embis

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thats how I understand it.But the word either was missing, and suggested you needed a ship radio license as well as an operators license, which clearly isn't the case.

Maybe I am not understanding your post but you DO need your 'operators licence' AND you DO need your radio licensing (either as a 'fixed set' or as a 'mobile set')

Two-stages;

1) Do the course and pass the test, apply for your certificate of competence from the RYA

2) Apply to OFCOM for a Radio Licence (either fixed or portable)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe I am not understanding your post but you DO need your 'operators licence' AND you DO need your radio licensing (either as a 'fixed set' or as a 'mobile set')

Two-stages;

1) Do the course and pass the test, apply for your certificate of competence from the RYA

2) Apply to OFCOM for a Radio Licence (either fixed or portable)

I agree, which is why I was referring to your 1st reply to the OP. The point I was trying to make, badly it appears, is that it was being suggested that you must have a ships radio license (as opposed to a portable).

Perhaps its me that doesn't understand, just ignore me.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. Your last post suggested you needed both a operators license and a ships radio licence. I didn't read the link you posted.

You do need to have both to be legal.  

The only difference is that a Ships Licence can be a portable one that is not tied to a specific vessel or a fixed one that is tied to a specific vessel. For a fixed set licence you will get am international callsign that should then stay with the vesel of the rest of its life.  Also if the set has DSC you can get a "propper" MMSI number for a fixed set, again that would be tied to the specific vessel.  If you do have a portable set that has DSC, I think the MMSI number that you get is UK specific, and is not to be used outside UK waters.  The fixed set call sign and MMSI can be used internationally.

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I agree, which is why I was referring to your 1st reply to the OP. The point I was trying to make, badly it appears, is that it was being suggested that you must have a ships radio license (as opposed to a portable).

Perhaps its me that doesn't understand, just ignore me.

A portable license is still a ships radio licence, it is just that it is not tied to a specific vessel.

Edited by john6767

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You do need to have both to be legal.  

The only difference is that a Ships Licence can be a portable one that is not tied to a specific vessel or a fixed one that is tied to a specific vessel. For a fixed set licence you will get am international callsign that should then stay with the vesel of the rest of its life.  Also if the set has DSC you can get a "propper" MMSI number for a fixed set, again that would be tied to the specific vessel.  If you do have a portable set that has DSC, I think the MMSI number that you get is UK specific, and is not to be used outside UK waters.  The fixed set call sign and MMSI can be used internationally.

A portable license is still a ships radio licence, it is just that it is not tied to a specific vessel.

Ah, ok ,maybe thats where I am going wrong. Appologies to all offended.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, ok ,maybe thats where I am going wrong. Appologies to all offended.

If you go on the OFCOM web site and apply for one all will because clear.  If I remember correctly there is nothing about the actual set in the application, so you can apply for the licence even if you have not bought a set yet.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

If you go on the OFCOM web site and apply for one all will because clear.  If I remember correctly there is nothing about the actual set in the application, so you can apply for the licence even if you have not bought a set yet.

Yep, just a few clicks of the mouse and I could print out my licence..