Post numbers

MtB

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it just me or have they gone for everyone?

Another 'improvement' presumably?

I mentioned this several days ago - only reply was from Dan saying you could always quote a post as opposed to quoting the number.  But it is very disorienting not knowing where you are in a topic. PLEASE COULD WE HAVE POST NUMBERS BACK.

And greenies too (by whatever name) - there was a poll I believe which gave large majority in favour of reinstating totals. But no result. :(

9 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I mentioned this several days ago - only reply was from Dan saying you could always quote a post as opposed to quoting the number.  But it is very disorienting not knowing where you are in a topic. PLEASE COULD WE HAVE POST NUMBERS BACK.

And greenies too (by whatever name) - there was a poll I believe which gave large majority in favour of reinstating totals. But no result. :(

I said you could put the posts URL in your reply, which creates a link to it an a preview, and that I would look into if it were possible to reinstate the post numbers. 

I have also said that the reason reputation or 'greenes' where hidden from view temporarily was due to the call to decrease the amount of member information at the side of each post, and again stated we would look into reintroducing this in a way which was a compromise between 'clutter' and 'infomation' on the pages.

These things take time and both RichM and I have a full time job alongside a host of other commitments.

Daniel

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it just me or have they gone for everyone?

Another 'improvement' presumably?

It is an improvement for those who could never see the numbers in the first place, namely anyone on a mobile. I can't tell you how many times I read "See post 128" and just left the thread because I had no simple way of knowing which post that was. 

It's much quicker and more straightforward for everyone now to paste a link directly to the post in question like this: 

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It is an improvement for those who could never see the numbers in the first place, namely anyone on a mobile. I can't tell you how many times I read "See post 128" and just left the thread because I had no simple way of knowing which post that was. 

It's much quicker and more straightforward for everyone now to paste a link directly to the post in question like this: 

Surely that is an argument for adding (very useful) post numbers to the mobile skin, not deleting them from the desktop skin.

It's not as though space is at a premium is it? Given the extravagant wasting of screen space in many other ways in the new software.

In addition, few people trouble to use quotes at all when replying from a mobile. You are quite unusual.

(Edit to extract my typed answer from the body of my quote of your post!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

10 hours ago, DHutch said:

I said you could put the posts URL in your reply, which creates a link to it an a preview, and that I would look into if it were possible to reinstate the post numbers. 

I have also said that the reason reputation or 'greenes' where hidden from view temporarily was due to the call to decrease the amount of member information at the side of each post, and again stated we would look into reintroducing this in a way which was a compromise between 'clutter' and 'infomation' on the pages.

These things take time and both RichM and I have a full time job alongside a host of other commitments.

Daniel

Yes, I appreciate that.  But there does seem to be a bit of redundancy in the poster info - the dots under the member status. I don't know exactly what they mean, but they seem to relate to 'long-standing member', etc. and are therefore repeating info.

Come to that, the 'new member', long-standing member' etc. is also repeating info, as they only reflect the number of posts, which is also given.  There you are, I've freed up two lines for you!  Room for the greenies now!

Cant fault that at all.

However as 'mross' has said, there is only a certain amount you can easily turn on and off in the admin control panel, and not all settings are easy to find, after that you are typically on 3rd party modifications you can add onto the base software, of which there are a fair range but you again need to know what you are looking for to find it sometimes. 

Richard is currently looking into options for 3rd party 'skins' we can add to the site to adjust the appearance to amongst other things reduce the amount of space and add a little more contrast between each post/thread.

Daniel

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks for posting that Dan.

Nothing more disappointing than concluding the admin are in denial, but your have now dispelled that impression.

As always in good relationship management, honest communication of what is happening is the key.