iCloud and laptop

swift1894

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, swift1894 said:

Thanks but it doesn't seem to work with Windows VISTA . Seems like Vista is obsolete. 

Vista was the nastiest mistake that MS ever released, unfortunately.

It's now 10 years old and while that may not feel like a very long time to some of us, in computing terms it's like Victorian engineering is to CERN. 

Another way would be to get the camera connection kit for the ipad, they do two methods, a SD card and a USB.   You would basically copy the photos on to the SD card (or back on to the camera via USB) and then on to the ipad (and then it will sync with iCloud)..

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202037

I think also plugging the iPad into the Vista machine would show the iPad photos in explorer, you may be able to just copy and paste them onto the iPad?   Edit to add, just tried this and it's not working for me.

Edited by Robbo

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

Vista was the nastiest mistake that MS ever released, unfortunately.

It's now 10 years old and while that may not feel like a very long time to some of us, in computing terms it's like Victorian engineering is to CERN. 

No, Vista did have a few strengths amongst its many problems, so surely Windows 8 was the bigger mistake?.

All this cloud stuff is bad news for us boaters who have limited internet and pay per GByte. My wife has loads of photos in the cloud and when working on them has to be really careful to make sure that the software is working with the local version rather than constantly up and downloading. Its quite difficult to control the way that a lot of software does big downloads.

.................Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

No, Vista did have a few strengths amongst its many problems, so surely Windows 8 was the bigger mistake?.

All this cloud stuff is bad news for us boaters who have limited internet and pay per GByte. My wife has loads of photos in the cloud and when working on them has to be really careful to make sure that the software is working with the local version rather than constantly up and downloading. Its quite difficult to control the way that a lot of software does big downloads.

.................Dave

That is why I run Windows 7 professional on a brand new 2017 laptop keeping everything on the hard drive where I can get at it.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is why I run Windows 7 professional on a brand new 2017 laptop keeping everything on the hard drive where I can get at it.

Cloud based storage benefits people with multiple devices, whether this is dropbox, icloud, amazon, google, etc.   It's also not just in the cloud but on multiple devices so if off-line, etc it's still accessible where you can get at it.   Having your stuff, especially if important on one machine and/or one location isn't good if it's important to you.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am pretty much resistant to change as far as Windows is concerned and was still mostly using XP till last year, but I do think 10 is much nicer than 7 and the "metered connection" option does stop most of the automatic updates from getting through. I do keep essential stuff on the cloud as a backup just in case we sink. I used to give backup usb hard disks to the children as a backup but they kept losing them. I use Google drive as its free and if I run out of space I just create another eMail account!!!!!

..................Dave

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

Another way would be to get the camera connection kit for the ipad, they do two methods, a SD card and a USB.   You would basically copy the photos on to the SD card (or back on to the camera via USB) and then on to the ipad (and then it will sync with iCloud)..

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202037

I think also plugging the iPad into the Vista machine would show the iPad photos in explorer, you may be able to just copy and paste them onto the iPad?   Edit to add, just tried this and it's not working for me.

Thanks. What housing does the SD card plug into to connect up to the iPad??? ........I know nothing!!!!

1 hour ago, swift1894 said:

Thanks. What housing does the SD card plug into to connect up to the iPad??? ........I know nothing!!!!

It's basically just a dongle that plugs into the bottom of the iPad.  The `USB version is like athe USB port on the computer where you would plug a USB cable into the camera

5 hours ago, Robbo said:

It's basically just a dongle that plugs into the bottom of the iPad.  The `USB version is like athe USB port on the computer where you would plug a USB cable into the camera

Like this?

eBay item number:

8 hours ago, swift1894 said:

Like this?

eBay item number:

No. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=leef ibridge&linkCode=ur2&tag=9to50cc-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&linkId=COPLZUQEON2LXKOS

But that was just the first link I found, there are many available from U.K. sources. 

Edited by WotEver
Correct the link

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

These would also be a good method, but it's not what I was thinking of.

Soooo........ do I have to upload all the pics on my laptop onto the SD card (via the slot on the side of the laptop), then plug the card into this lightning cable?

looks like that what I need to do looking at the pics in this EBay item, but I'm just checking.  :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightning-to-SD-Card-Camera-Reader-Photo-8-Pin-Adapter-for-iPad-Mini-Air-iPhone-/162381920074?hash=item25ceb7774a:g:KKMAAOSw2xRYZLo5

1 hour ago, swift1894 said:

Soooo........ do I have to upload all the pics on my laptop onto the SD card (via the slot on the side of the laptop), then plug the card into this lightning cable?

looks like that what I need to do looking at the pics in this EBay item, but I'm just checking.  :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightning-to-SD-Card-Camera-Reader-Photo-8-Pin-Adapter-for-iPad-Mini-Air-iPhone-/162381920074?hash=item25ceb7774a:g:KKMAAOSw2xRYZLo5

Yeah, that's the idea :)

Easier for the future is you take the SD card out of the camera and put the images straight onto your iPad.