Frouds Bridge Marina or ABC?

Featured Posts

Hello folks. I'm in Theale on the K&A heading west. Engine conking out the last few days and needs looking at. Would anyone recommend either of ABC Boat Hire (which seem to do repairs) or Frouds Marina in the Aldermaston area?

Thanks!

You will get to ABC first and they seemed to look after a member with engine problems a year or so ago. Being a hire fleet they should have their own engineers and not just bought in help but the downside is that your job may have to wait upon turn rounds and hire fleet problems.

Any more details of the problem in case I can help YOU sort it?

5 hours ago, billS said:

Contact Marcus Marine - he works in that area and comes highly recommended. You will find his details on the web.

Agree.  Has looked after our boat 12 years . Excellent work / reputation and knowledge . Suggest you phone him asap as he gets booked . Bunny 

Thanks very much for suggesting Marcus Marine. I'll give him a call today.

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Any more details of the problem in case I can help YOU sort it?

Well, it's been making a less than smooth sound for a couple of months. It felt underpowered at times and shook a bit, like something was loose. It first happened the day I filled up with diesel at a new place, so I wondered it was connected to this. At that point it would be rough for about 30 mins running under no load in neutral, then it would go back to running smoothly. Best hypothesis then was that there was water in the diesel tank. I drained the plug on the oil filter and it had only diesel in it, so that didn't confirm my hypothesis but I still didn't rule it out. I couldn't find anywhere that could get the (assumed) water out of the tank, but a couple of people advised topping up the diesel regularly and the water would work its way out eventually. It seemed to be much better until Monday. I was heading upstream on the Kennet from Reading towards Burghfield against particularly strong flows, using high revs, when the engine slowed right down and conked out altogether – like I was out of diesel. I managed to jump to the bank and get a rope around a sign saying 'Danger, strong current' while I checked the weed hatch (nothing) and tank (about 60% full). Thankfully the engine started up again and I managed to keep going, but it conked out several times during the day. I noticed that if I kept revs moderate it would keep going, but tended to conk when I put the engine under considerable load against the strong current. Best hypothesis (based on my very limited knowledge) is still that there's water in there, and that the faster draw of fuel when the engine is under greater load causes the contents of the tank to swirl more, throwing up the water to the surface. Engine still feels underpowered though, even when not shaking and spluttering, so I fear it's more serious and needs looking at.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What engine? I may be able to visit this afternoon or on Saturday, ring 01189874285. Do you have any tools aboard? I assume that you are by the Cunning Man or tied to a sign below the bridge.

What a generous offer once again by our Tony B :)

Indeed, he is a real gentleman. Always offers sound help and offered will visit if not too far away.

Have a greenie TonyB. 

Bluddy autocorrect changed TonyB to Tony Blair, good job I noticed it, he certainly doesn't deserve a greenie B)

• Greenie 1

Do you have an electric fuel pump with a filter in it?

That one's often overlooked, and, being relatively small, can go from being "OK" to "causing a real problem" in a fairly short time. 

That's one reason I asked about the engine. Assuming the OP is new to it the great variety of systems on boats can confuse.

He mentions a drain on the "oil" filter so it could be a Mitsubishi (Vetus, Throneycroft) with one of those pumps on it.

4 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Do you have an electric fuel pump with a filter in it?

That one's often overlooked, and, being relatively small, can go from being "OK" to "causing a real problem" in a fairly short time. 

It stopped me in my tracks a couple of times before I started to change it regularly. 

On 02/03/2017 at 09:05, Tony Brooks said:

So when you are drawing lots of fuel the engine dies but will start again if rested for a while. This is the classic symptom of a blocked breather on the fuel tank. Try it with the fuel filler off but protect the hole from the rain.

If that makes no difference then I would agree with Wotever, time to change the filters. This will involve bleeding the engine except some engines are self bleeding. Once the filter(s) are changed empty them, possibly cut them apart so you can see what they have caught to get early earning of bug/water problems. Note that  a good installation will have more than just the main filter on the engine. There should be at least one more filter like thing between tank and engine.

If this is an older British engine like a BMC, Lister or Perkins there is likely to be a strainer gauze under the domed cap on the fuel lift pump. This needs checking as well.

If there is still not improvement then you are looking at potential air leaks into the fuel lines or a blockage at the fuel tank outlet. If you have the skills and parts try rigging a small tank to feed the lift pump directly. That will rule out the tank, pipes and filters.

What engine? I may be able to visit this afternoon or on Saturday, ring 01189874285. Do you have any tools aboard? I assume that you are by the Cunning Man or tied to a sign below the bridge.

Hi Tony. Thanks for such a thorough reply here, and the offer of help. I made it Frouds Bridge Marina late yesterday after a long day of slow progress (still conking above 2k rpm), so have only just seen these messages. I called Marcus Marine but he can't fit in an initial quick look until next week some time. If the offer to visit still stands then that would be wonderful! I'm very keen to learn more about the things you mention. I have a basic set of tools here: adjustable spanner, pliers, screwdrivers.

It's a Barrus Shire. And you're absolutely right that I meant fuel filter by 'oil filter' above.

12 hours ago, AftApeth said:

Hi Tony. Thanks for such a thorough reply here, and the offer of help. I made it Frouds Bridge Marina late yesterday after a long day of slow progress (still conking above 2k rpm), so have only just seen these messages. I called Marcus Marine but he can't fit in an initial quick look until next week some time. If the offer to visit still stands then that would be wonderful! I'm very keen to learn more about the things you mention. I have a basic set of tools here: adjustable spanner, pliers, screwdrivers.

It's a Barrus Shire. And you're absolutely right that I meant fuel filter by 'oil filter' above.

Please phone so I know where abouts in Frouds Bridge Marina you are moored and so we can arrange a time. -118 9874285

Unfortunately you are now a long way from suppliers of filters unless the marina holds stock - don't hold your breath on that.

Please try to ring tonight before about 10.00pm

Edited to add - OK, so now phone between 8 and 9 tomorrow morning or email/PM the boat's location in the marina and you mobile number tonight - tony@tb-training.co.uk. If I do not hear from you by soon after 9 I will be taking my wife shopping and that means that all the outlets for filters will be closed by the time I can get to you and back to on of them. If you have non-Barrus filter numbers I suppose Halfords might be able to supply and they will be open on Staurday PM and on Sunday but I will not be free on Sunday until after lunch. Then it will be Monday morning.

I am not driving to Frouds on spec an just hope to find you. I want your location and phone number so I can contact you but do not put them on a public forum.

Edited by Tony Brooks

11 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please phone so I know where abouts in Frouds Bridge Marina you are moored and so we can arrange a time. -118 9874285

Unfortunately you are now a long way from suppliers of filters unless the marina holds stock - don't hold your breath on that.

Please try to ring tonight before about 10.00pm

Edited to add - OK, so now phone between 8 and 9 tomorrow morning or email/PM the boat's location in the marina and you mobile number tonight - tony@tb-training.co.uk. If I do not hear from you by soon after 9 I will be taking my wife shopping and that means that all the outlets for filters will be closed by the time I can get to you and back to on of them. If you have non-Barrus filter numbers I suppose Halfords might be able to supply and they will be open on Staurday PM and on Sunday but I will not be free on Sunday until after lunch. Then it will be Monday morning.

I am not driving to Frouds on spec an just hope to find you. I want your location and phone number so I can contact you but do not put them on a public forum.

Sorry to have missed you Tony. I thought I was checking this but I might not have had connection last night. Email just sent.

Many thanks again Tony for all of your help today. You're a real gent. It's extremely satisfying to piece together a few things that I had a very rough or partial understanding of and get a fuller picture of the fuel's route from tank to engine. I feel a lot more confident now to check and replace the filters and bleed out air in the process.

I set off a little way upstream from the marina this afternoon and everything is running smoothly. Plenty of revs and power on a couple of fast flowing stretches to Woolhampton.

The bonus news is that while I was still inspired from this morning's session, I thought I'd try the diesel boiler again. It spent quite a while with the fuel pump at the initial slow clicking speed, but didn't give up, so I left it on. Eventually, it made it to the double-tempo clicking and water and air pump kicked in too. I just tried it again (a few hours later) and it's getting to double tempo with all pumps running fairly quickly. So it seems to be working again just like it used to. Not sure how this is connected to tinkering around with the main fuel supply to the engine and poking around in the tank with a pump, but it seems to be – I tried the boiler only yesterday and it wasn't working (giving up after 30 second of slow clicking).

Cheers Tony!

Further feedback

I poured whatever liquid we sucked out of the tank into a plastic milk carton and have been letting it stand. The residual oil left in the Pela had stained it black but after 3 days there was no sign of water by looking through the carton and when I poured it into my oil drainer there was only a smidgeon of water and a little more black slime.

Definitely time to add a biocide but not much more to worry about for now.

If it were my boat I would be rigging up a larger pipe to a wet & dry vacuum cleaner and having a really good go at the bottom of the tank.