Waste outlet - skin fitting heights?

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just about to make a hole in the side of the boat. Looking at my other skin fittings, one is maybe less than 10" above the water line (well below the rubbing strake) one is above the rubbing strake.

I'm plumbing a washing machine - read something about the hose needing to be higher than the top of the drum but not sure if its relevant in this case as no domestic waste to draw back old water from or anything like that. I'm tempted to make the whole a bit above the rubbing strake which is nice and high from the water outside... anyone know what's best?

Boat Safety guidance/recommendation is a minimum of 10" above the water line for all skin fittings - particularly if going on Rivers which may have some waves or wash from 'big-boats'.

If you are looking at just having a 'floating flat' and never leaving the marina, then 'any height will do'

To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed down, it's a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline. Where openings are necessary below this level this risk can be reduced by ensuring that these openings are permanently and securely connected to ducts or pipes, which are watertight up to that level.

Self-draining cockpits may not be able to meet the 250mm (10ins) recommendation but, for privately owned boats, it's a good idea to stop water getting into other parts of the hull by incorporating non-return valves in the drains and/or having bulkheads or cills up to a height of 150mm (6ins).

A weed hatch, if not properly secured, can allow water into the bilges of a boat, which could ultimately cause it to sink. It's advisable for privately owned boats to have a secure and watertight weed hatch which reaches to at least 150mm (6ins) above the waterline, when the boat is loaded up as normal.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Ours don't meet that height requirement. Two are pretty much on the waterline.

20170226_111756.jpg

FB_IMG_1471097975796.jpg

On our sailing boat, they are often under water. I make sure the pipe is well connected with  two ss jubilee clips at the start of each season.

3 hours ago, Johny London said:

Thanks - I'm thinking to fit it above the rubbing strake which will be a lot better than 10" - just wondering if the washing machine minds what height the waste is - I guess it will pump out anyway?

Most washing machines have the waste at high level when it exits the machine, which ensures that it is carried high enough to prevent the drum from draining when it's not supposed to. It therefore has to pump to the height of the machine, anyway.