An Electricity Question

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

An electricity question for you this morning.

Our boat is due back in the water on Friday. We got the bill yesterday and as we have been billed on a monthly basis this year as we have only been out two months instead of three we have also been charged for electric.

Now I am querying the amount they have billed us as it is rather high for two months use, but that isn't the question I am asking.

They have added 20% VAT to the £1.20 per day they have charged us for electric. Can they do that?

30 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

An electricity question for you this morning.

Our boat is due back in the water on Friday. We got the bill yesterday and as we have been billed on a monthly basis this year as we have only been out two months instead of three we have also been charged for electric.

Now I am querying the amount they have billed us as it is rather high for two months use, but that isn't the question I am asking.

They have added 20% VAT to the £1.20 per day they have charged us for electric. Can they do that?

Yes if they are VAT registered.

Just now, nicknorman said:

I wouldn't have thought so. Vat on electricity is 5% (I think). So they can't charge 20% on the units. They could charge 20% on the standing charge or whatever means they have to recover the cost of installing and maintaining the infrastructure.

The charge is for the connection so it will be 20%.

One stormy day us and the whole world will be able to install a ''Lightening catcher'' which entices, catches, transforms and imprisons the electricity generated in thunder storms, all ready for use. A god send and free of charge. It will be absolutely forking wonderful.

Edited by bizzard

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

One stormy day us and the whole world will be able to install a ''Lightening catcher'' which entices, catches, transforms and imprisons the electricity generated in thunder storms, all ready for use. A god send and free of charge. It will be absolutely forking wonderful.

Maybe you could invent it.

"Mr bizzards lightnin in a bottle". Providing all your electrickery needs from Rangoon to Cameroon. Patent Pending.

Edited by rusty69

Working on it. It involves a huge net of chicken wire with one end tied to my chimney and the other end tied to the tree at the bottom of the garden. A great big cable from a Transit van battery down at the car breakers and as many vacuum flasks as I can get to trap the electric in the vacuums (Think small hadron collider) and a heap of sea searcher magnets to keep it all locked up in the flasks. When you need some electric just pour some out.

Edited by Bee
missed word

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

Working on it. It involves a huge net of chicken wire with one end tied to my chimney and the other end tied to the tree at the bottom of the garden. A great big cable from a Transit van battery down at the car breakers and as many vacuum flasks as I can get to trap the electric in the vacuums (Think small hadron collider) and a heap of sea searcher magnets to keep it all locked up in the flasks. When you need some electric just pour some out.

You may also need a Flux Capacitor.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Please could you advise where you will be conducting experiments as I'd prefer to be in another county.

Edited by Martin Megson

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just received a revised invoice and they have now removed the VAT charges from the electricity and reduced the amount of units we will be charged for the electric.

Result. Maybe you could put the refunded units into your new batteries when you get them!

20 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

Please could you advise where you will be conducting experiments as I'd prefer to be in another county.

Experiments will be conducted somewhere secret. Probably somewhere in the tropical equatorial region of the world where you can set your watch by electrical storms at the end of the day. Once perfected ''Catchers'' will be erected throughout the whole world. There will be NO ESCAPE!!

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Maybe you could invent it.

"Mr bizzards lightnin in a bottle". Providing all your electrickery needs from Rangoon to Cameroon. Patent Pending.

I tried that once with my device, ''The electric dark bulb'' a bulb that emitted darkness instead of light. Designed for night shift workers that wanted to sleep in the dark during the day with the curtains open.  It kept escaping from the bottle.

There was once a true story on the back of the Beezer comic of how a ball of ball lightening entered the back door of an old ladies house and exited through the front door and hit and rang a fire alarm in the street and raised the alarm that it had set her house on fire. This was in the days when folk left the doors open and covered up mirrors during a storm.  What an opportunity she had of catching it. If only she'd known.

1 minute ago, Neil Smith said:

Just paid my leccy bill £25 for last quarter.

Neil

We use bugger all electric on our mooring which was the basis of the first argument. We put one £14 card on the post last year and there was still credit on it when we were pulled out of the water!