Artwork

Pete Tuffrey

Featured Posts

Ok I'm on a different machine now and I can see all of Pete's paintings.

I have to say I find ALL of them deeply pleasing to gaze at. I think its actually Pete's draughtsmanship that makes his work so pleasing. The boats look dead right, with perfect perspective. Few artists succeed in getting narrow boats looking dead right in my personal opinion.

I'm very impresssed, Pete.

• Greenie 1

On 03/03/2017 at 21:51, mark99 said:

I would hazard a guess most people interested in buying your work wont go near facebook.

I would hazard a guess you could hardly be more wrong!

I bet members of the Guild of Waterways Artists gain far more trade, (including commissions), than they ever would by promoting themselves on CWDF.

EDIT:

Sorry, I see this has already now been widely discussed, but I still stand by the above!

Edited by alan_fincher

34 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I would hazard a guess you could hardly be more wrong!

I bet members of the Guild of Waterways Artists gain far more trade, (including commissions), than they ever would by promoting themselves on CWDF.

EDIT:

Sorry, I see this has already now been widely discussed, but I still stand by the above!

Who said CWDF = not me.

I would trawl a website but cba with facebook.

ETA

Quick google gives a ream of web page waterway artist links. If you limit yourself to F/book then you rely upon someone pressing that single link. Or a "happy to use f/book" person.

Edited by mark99

26 minutes ago, mark99 said:

If you limit yourself to F/book then you rely upon someone pressing that single link. Or a "happy to use f/book" person.

Who said anything about limiting yourself to Facebook?  Certainly not me.

I was challenging your statement that

I would hazard a guess most people interested in buying your work wont go near facebook.

which, as you have seen, Pete himself has stated to be a completely wrong guess.

I now own a lovely original painting of "Sickle" by Penny Taylor-Beardow, another excellent "Guild" artist.  I'm not sure where I saw it first, (although I'm in it, I didn't know about it until Penny first put it on the Internet), but it and similar work has regularly been on Facebook, and as a result I also now own further prints of Penny's work.

It is perfectly possible to use Facebook without giving out large amounts of info about yourself.  It is a choice you make about how much you ever say, and how you set your privavcy settings.  (Quite unlike here, where the entire world can see what you say, with no control whatsover of who does).

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Who said anything about limiting yourself to Facebook?  Certainly not me.

which, as you have seen, Pete himself has stated to be a completely wrong guess.

I now own a lovely original painting of "Sickle" by Penny Taylor-Beardow, another excellent "Guild" artist.  I'm not sure where I saw it first, (although I'm in it, I didn't know about it until Penny first put it on the Internet), but it and similar work has regularly been on Facebook, and as a result I also now own further prints of Penny's work.

It is perfectly possible to use Facebook without giving out large amounts of info about yourself.  It is a choice you make about how much you ever say, and how you set your privavcy settings.  (Quite unlike here, where the entire world can see what you say, with no control whatsover of who does).

WHAT???????????

Are you saying all the rubbish I write can be seen by more than the ten of us who still post here?????

:help::help::o:o:o

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

WHAT???????????

Are you saying all the rubbish I write can be seen by more than the ten of us who still post here?????

Don't panic, I believe it is now quoted as the principle reason why almost nobody anywhere now views this site! :wacko:

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have to say I find ALL of them deeply pleasing to gaze at.............Few artists succeed in getting narrow boats looking dead right in my personal opinion.

I have also found most waterways artists have difficulty capturing narrow boat perspective.

This Alan Firth commission hung on our dining room wall for 20 years, and although not completely without fault always pleased me. To my eye Mr Firth lost perspective with the butty (which can hardly be seen).

This painting has been left propped against a chest of drawers in my spare bedroom since moving north in 2008, and I often think of selling it :captain: 

Alan Firth painting - 1989.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

WHAT???????????

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Don't panic, I believe it is now quoted as the principle reason why almost nobody anywhere now views this site! :wacko:

The living aboard section certainly seems to have become a bit of a wasteland, no-one seems to have posted since last Thursday or is there something wrong with my computer?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is as much boating discussion on Facebook as there is here

I find two problems with Facebook:

1 - I really do not want to use it, but I am told that this is where 'it is all happening' nowadays.

2 - I can never find the things that interest me unless I know a specific 'address', or take a wild guess.

Clearly I have spent very little time on Facebook and I have not got a clue how to use it :captain: 

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

"Who said anything about limiting yourself to Facebook?  Certainly not me.

which, as you have seen, Pete himself has stated to be a completely wrong guess".

How do you measure / compare then?

I do accept I was probably wrong but how do you not know by having a website you won't get * 10 customers?

Edited by mark99

On 4 March 2017 at 21:14, tonyt40 said:

My wife is an artist and does some canal / boat pictures. 

This was a commission of our boat for the previous owner. 

wind-rose.jpg

Nice, is that water colour? I can't paint with those at all, one mistake and it's over... And I make allot of mistakes lol

10 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I have also found most waterways artists have difficulty capturing narrow boat perspective.

This Alan Firth commission hung on our dining room wall for 20 years, and although not completely without fault always pleased me. To my eye Mr Firth lost perspective with the butty (which can hardly be seen).

This painting has been left propped against a chest of drawers in my spare bedroom since moving north in 2008, and I often think of selling it :captain: 

Alan Firth painting - 1989.jpg

Alan Firth was a great painter, that's a lovely piece 

50 minutes ago, Pete Tuffrey said:

Alan Firth was a great painter, that's a lovely piece 

We commissioned this painting in the late 1980's and I think it was the first time he had been asked to paint a 'British Waterways' livery, his usual preference being Barlows type liveries that most enthusiasts consider to be a little more conventional :captain:

On 05/03/2017 at 21:38, Pete Tuffrey said:

Nice, is that water colour? I can't paint with those at all, one mistake and it's over... And I make allot of mistakes lol

Yes it is. She does more oils these days and is concentrating on seascapes at the minute.

https://artonthewater.co.uk/2017/02/09/im-exhibiting/

Edited by tonyt40