Use your brain!

Davids

Featured Posts

This is a request to everyone to use a bit of common sense when mooring. On Friday morning a restaurant

in front of my mooring caught fire. The fire quickly spread to the adjoining shops and flats above. Fire fighters

informed us that we may have to move our boats off the mooring. We are moored at 90 degrees to the canal and

need the full width to exit. Despite the No Mooring signs there were, and still are, three boats moored up directly opposite us,

making it virtually impossible to get our boats out. Had the fire spread any further we would have lost our boats and all the possessions

on board. The offending boat owners were aware they were moored in a No Mooring zone but deemed the zone to be

unnecessary. This could have been disastrous.

Use your brains folks! Regulation signs are there for a reason. By not following their instructions you could be putting someones life at risk

The fire itself was huge and took 72 fire fighters and 10 fire trucks over 10 hours to extinguish. The photos do not show the true

extent of how serious this was.

15.jpg

18 - Copy.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

24.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

Fire.jpg

Unfortunately the situation in London (too many boats and not enough moorings) combined with the selfish attitudes of some people who consider themselves to be more important than others leads to such problems.

'Boaters' tend to be aware of their impact of their actions, whilst 'people who live on a boat because they want to be in London and cannot afford a house' tend to be less aware and probably wouldn't even realise you were longer then the space they had left.

Have you posted this on the London Boaters Facebook page ?

1 minute ago, junior said:

Where does it say it was London?

There are several clue. The poster is located in London, the pictures show horrible close together concrete lousy designed housing etc etc..........

As an aside, CRT have other moorings from which it's nigh on impossible to exit without shuffling other boats around.  They knowingly do this.  I know this because I found myself in this position last year before i changed my mooring site.

3 hours ago, Davids said:

Use your brains folks! Regulation signs are there for a reason. By not following their instructions you could be putting someones life at risk

The fire itself was huge and took 72 fire fighters and 10 fire trucks over 10 hours to extinguish. The photos do not show the true

extent of how serious this was.

I think your post would have more impact if you'd  shown photo's from the canal side and of the problem caused by the moored boats. You obviously had time to move the boats or they were safe in order to take the photo's shown, the canal side would of looked better though and people may recognise the moorings and discuss the situation and problem.

Were you on your permanent mooring? if so talk to the owner about the situation with the boats opposite and highlight this incident.

Upload some photo's from the canal so we can get a true reflection of the situation and the problem the moored boats cause..

Edited by Northernboater

David's,

I think this Thread would of had bit more response if some canal photo's were shown, as your photo's show nothing, just smoke and fireman and not really any damage consistent with a major fire.

Please show some  photo's showing your predicament and problem, if you actually had one.

Where were you, what moorings? and as I asked before were you on your permanent moorings or just continuous cruising?

Edited by Northernboater

On 27 February 2017 at 09:31, frangar said:

I'd have united them and pushed them down the cut.....they could have been rescued at a later date. 

In times like the above there's no time to ask polite questions. 

Easy enough if the boats are tied up but lately I've seen plenty of boats chained and padlocked to the Armco railings. You can almost guarantee that in an emergency you will find the most awkwardly moored boat is going to be chained up and unattended.

However I do agree, if my boat was at risk of fire and blocked in there isn't much going to stop me shifting the offending boat and worrying about it once my boat is safe.

• 4 years later...

But are the pontoons in Edinburgh not angled in such a way that you don't come out at right angles? I am probably wrong though as it is a wee while since I was in at Edinburgh quay. Any boats moored opposite the pontoons are visiting boats moored on bollards and I don't think they will be chained. Perhaps a strong knife rather than bolt cutters 😀