Start from where i left off?

Canal321

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You must be misremembering.  Clicking on a thread title has always taken you to the first post. Clicking on the dot (or star if you've contributed) then and now takes you to the first unread post (if you are logged in). Of course if someone else uses your logged-in computer it takes you to the point they got to, but that is also  unchanged  and is a matter between me and Mrs Mac.  Grrrrrr.....

I disagree, I've always just clicked on the thread and it somehow used to know where you had previously read to. I've never had to click a dot, in fact I don't even remember dots being there.

Trying to get my fat fingers to now touch a dot that is the size of a pin head without touching something else at the same time is very difficult. 

Edited by junior
Fat fingers

Same here, on a tablet on the desktop version I just used to click on a thread and it would take me down to any new posts which was great as I didn't have to read it all again trying to find out where I was (hard work when threads get over 2 pages). I guess I'll have to get used to clicking blue dots from now on, tbh I didn't even realise that the blue dots did anything on the old site...

14 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You must be misremembering.  Clicking on a thread title has always taken you to the first post. Clicking on the dot (or star if you've contributed) then and now takes you to the first unread post (if you are logged in). Of course if someone else uses your logged-in computer it takes you to the point they got to, but that is also  unchanged  and is a matter between me and Mrs Mac.  Grrrrrr.....

If he was/is using the mobile version then the functionality has changed. On the old system when on mobile layout you could just hit the thread title and it took you to the first new post. Now you have to hit the button just like the desktop version. This is probably a retrograde step for mobile users as the button is very tiny. 

13 hours ago, junior said:

I disagree, I've always just clicked on the thread and it somehow used to know where you had previously read to. I've never had to click a dot, in fact I don't even remember dots being there.

Trying to get my fat fingers to now touch a dot that is the size of a pin head without touching something else at the same time is very difficult. 

Ah, right. I don't have a smartphone, just two dumbphones. Not quite as luddite as Athy, though, who doesn't  even have one of them!

On 27/02/2017 at 07:09, BruceinSanity said:

As with the old site, if you click on the (now smaller) blue dot next to the title, it will take you to the first unread post.

On 27/02/2017 at 12:26, WotEver said:

Just like the old site when not on mobile skin, you press the little ball to the left of the subject title. It's always been thus on the desktop view but it's new functionality for the mobile view so it's caught a lot of users out.

This.

You can indeed also set it to take you to the last unread item when searching for new content as well, but the blue ball (or star if you have posted in the thread) works regardless.

As said, the change is the before there was a difference in behaviour between mobile view and full view, where on desktop view the title took you to the start each time and the dot took you to where you where last, and in the mobile view you could only go to where you last left off. Not they both have the dot/star and both behave the same.

Daniel

Great to hear.

The new version of the software is different, not perfect, and takes some getting used to. But overall it works largely as before, contains some good new features, and remaining on the old version now it no longer supported was not an option.

Daniel