Start from where i left off?

Canal321

Featured Posts

OK then here goes. Hi I'm currently using the mobile version of the new site on a 5 inch (mobile phone) screen on Google chrome in the portrait position.

So I go on a forum , say 'general boating' and click on a topic I like the look of, after reading the current reply's (say 15) I exit and come back a few hours later. Now when I click back on the same topic (which now has 30 reply's) it starts me again from the beginning, so I have to start searching through for the place I was (which is marked by a small blue line) and if I miss the line I end up lost and having to start again which is annoying.

On the old site, when I returned to a thread it would start me off where I left off. I would then scroll up a post or two to refresh my memory then carry on, EASY!

Is there something I need to do so It remembers where I was, like the site of old did. I've read some of the other topics in this forum but the screen shots of the site are different to the mobile site that I'm on. I can't even find settings...

Thanks for helping. Hopefully my problem can be helped!!

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A quick and dirty solution is to register with thunderboat and spend your time there instead.

Far slicker and easier user interface. 

(I now see all of the best emoticons are missing from this 'improved' (lol) version of forum software.)

Nah mate, too Blue for me, plus I would have to get used to a whole new set of names, on here I can almost tell who knows their stuff and who's chatting bubbles. ;)

2 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

Nah mate, too Blue for me, plus I would have to get used to a whole new set of names, on here I can almost tell who knows their stuff and who's chatting bubbles. ;)

Totally agree, but some people from here seem to like it.

I went there once but most of the content seems to be obsessed either with here, or with me.

7 hours ago, Canal321 said:

OK then here goes. Hi I'm currently using the mobile version of the new site on a 5 inch (mobile phone) screen on Google chrome in the portrait position.

So I go on a forum , say 'general boating' and click on a topic I like the look of, after reading the current reply's (say 15) I exit and come back a few hours later. Now when I click back on the same topic (which now has 30 reply's) it starts me again from the beginning, so I have to start searching through for the place I was (which is marked by a small blue line) and if I miss the line I end up lost and having to start again which is annoying.

On the old site, when I returned to a thread it would start me off where I left off. I would then scroll up a post or two to refresh my memory then carry on, EASY!

Is there something I need to do so It remembers where I was, like the site of old did. I've read some of the other topics in this forum but the screen shots of the site are different to the mobile site that I'm on. I can't even find settings...

Thanks for helping. Hopefully my problem can be helped!!

As with the old site, if you click on the (now smaller) blue dot next to the title, it will take you to the first unread post, usually but not always.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A quick and dirty solution is to register with thunderboat and spend your time there instead.

Far slicker and easier user interface. 

(I now see all of the best emoticons are missing from this 'improved' (lol) version of forum software.)

You need to change the Categories drop down from overview to Emoticons to se the rest of them. Now that's a change I don't understand.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

You need to change the Categories drop down from overview to Emoticons to se the rest of them. Now that's a change I don't understand.

Ok thanks for your reply, but where might I find the Categories drop down please? I just can't see it on any of the many confusing screens I get when I click on various stuff on any given screen.

click on the emoticon little face when you are entering the text.

in the top right of the box showing the emoticons there is Categories.

click on categories and it give you a choice of overview or emoticons.

click on emoticons and they all appear.  God only knows why all that is necessary or what 'overview' means.   Some IT nerd being clever I suppose.

I asked the same question and Mr Ross helped me.  :captain:

you really must spend more time on CWDF instead of :boat: if you want to keep up, Mike.  :icecream::construction::clapping:

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

click on the emoticon little face when you are entering the text.

in the top right of the box showing the emoticons there is Categories.

click on categories and it give you a choice of overview or emoticons.

click on emoticons and they all appear.  God only knows why all that is necessary or what 'overview' means.   Some IT nerd being clever I suppose.

I asked the same question and Mr Ross helped me.  :captain:

you really must spend more time on CWDF instead of :boat: if you want to keep up, Mike.  :icecream::construction::clapping:

Thank you. I only saw your reply by chance, this new format really is a bloody chaotic mess. :help:

I wonder how other forums are getting on with it after their forced upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you. I only saw your reply by chance, this new format really is a bloody chaotic mess. :help:

If replying directly to a quote, you should get a notification (I don't think this was a reply to a quote though)

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If replying directly to a quote, you should get a notification (I don't think this was a reply to a quote though)

Exactly. 

It wasn't a reply, so I didn't get a notification. Nor does this board appear in my custom VNC (for reasons I CBA to waste yet more time investigating).

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was also a luddite a few days ago.  now I seem to be managing.  :unsure:

3 hours ago, junior said:

I'm also having the same problem as the OP and almost at the end of my tether.

The old skin was much better and when you clicked on a thread it would automatically take you to where you last were up to. Now it takes you to the beginning of the thread again.

Just like the old site when not on mobile skin, you press the little ball to the left of the subject title. It's always been thus on the desktop view but it's new functionality for the mobile view so it's caught a lot of users out. 

1 hour ago, mross said:

There was quite a fuss on here in 2014 when the previous update took place.  We and CWDF survived that.

Can't have been that much fuss as I've been a member since about 2012 i think and I'd used the forum in exactly the samevway from the day i joined up until last week.

20 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

The old version had bigger balls with more white space round them.

Ooh sounds painful .......................

On another note I am getting to grips with the new format now :D

22 hours ago, junior said:

The old skin was much better and when you clicked on a thread it would automatically take you to where you last were up to. Now it takes you to the beginning of the thread again.

Strange. I find if I'm logged in, either on my laptop or on my phone, clicking on the blue blob takes me to the last post in the topic. If I'm not logged in, again either on my laptop or my phone, clicking on the thread title takes me to the last post.

I have to say, I really like the "new" forum, and find it very easy to use.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 09:47, junior said:

You must be misremembering.  Clicking on a thread title has always taken you to the first post. Clicking on the dot (or star if you've contributed) then and now takes you to the first unread post (if you are logged in). Of course if someone else uses your logged-in computer it takes you to the point they got to, but that is also  unchanged  and is a matter between me and Mrs Mac.  Grrrrrr.....

4 minutes ago, mross said:

Actually, both are possible - it depends how you set your stream.  

Clicking Unread Items

The top of the page is not the same as the first post, although I didn't know you could choose what the dot does - first unread comment must be a default - same result as of old.

8 minutes ago, mross said:

Exactly!  You can choose which one you want.  Or did you mean something else?  Anyway, have a play around.  ;)

I was actually replying to Junior, who appeared to be saying that when he clicked on a topic it now took him to the first post.? But it always has. Or is this now controllable too?

Edited to say I assumed he meant the topic title.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

4 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I was actually replying to Junior, who appeared to be saying that when he clicked on a topic it now took him to the first post.? But it always has. Or is this now controllable too?

Sorry I thought you were having a dig!  My mistake.