Desktop version...

Sammas09

Featured Posts

Hi there, 

Was wondering if there is any way to get this new forum software to default to the desktop version on my tablet? I'm on Google Chrome and have an 8 inch screen and prefer the desktop version over the mobile version it seems to have defaulted to. The old site used to always go to the desktop version without changing any of the settings... 

It is available in my Android tablet, it is a chrome setting not a site specific setting. Using it changes how the browser reports itself to the web site and depending on the sites CSS will depend on the effect it has, for canalworld it has changed the menu theming for me meaning I get the full menus.

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, as said this is a browser setting as opposed to an OS or device setting. Safari as built into Apple devices will always report itself as a mobile device, others may have the option. 

On my iPad I get the equivalent view of having Request Desktop turned on that I have to use on Android. If I get chance later I'll do some test against one of my web sites where I can view the server logs and see how each browser presents itself.

Just now, Rob-M said:

On my iPad I get the equivalent view of having Request Desktop turned on that I have to use on Android. If I get chance later I'll do some test against one of my web sites where I can view the server logs and see how each browser presents itself.

I guess it may depend on the iPad. Do you have the 12" screen or the 9"?

I get the first screen with the three bar square on my PC running in either IE or Firefox, with a 22" screen. So why is my PC is being identified as a mobile. I can get the mising menus in a drop down by clicking on the three bar square

Edited by David Schweizer

42 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It is available in my Android tablet, it is a chrome setting not a site specific setting. Using it changes how the browser reports itself to the web site and depending on the sites CSS will depend on the effect it has, for canalworld it has changed the menu theming for me meaning I get the full menus.

Oh, I see what you mean.  There's a box to tick in the browser settings menu.  But it's too small to read on my Wileyfox 5,5".

This could help others though.

Edited by mross

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I get the first screen with the three bar square on my PC running in either IE or Firefox, with a 22" screen. So why is my PC is being identified as a mobile. I can get the mising menus in a drop down by clicking on the three bar square

As people have said it is not so much about desktop or mobile, more about screen resolution.  What resolution are you running the screen on you PC at?

On my iPad mini, in landscape mode I get the "desktop" version, rotating to portrait it changes to the "mobile" version, rather proving it is resolution, particularly the screen width not the agent string that the browser is sending that controls what layout you get.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

As people have said it is not so much about desktop or mobile, more about screen resolution.  What resolution are you running the screen on you PC at?

On my iPad mini, in landscape mode I get the "desktop" version, rotating to portrait it changes to the "mobile" version, rather proving it is resolution, particularly the screen width not the agent string that the browser is sending that controls what layout you get.

No Idea, I know it was re-set years ago to accomodate the desktop photo, but not by me. How do I find out what my screen resolution is, and what should it be? Although it doesn't really matter now, as I have managed to configure Canalworld into a format that I am happy with.

Just now, David Schweizer said:

No Idea, I know it was re-set years ago to accomoadate the screensaver, but not by me. How do I find out what my screen resolution is, and what should it be? Although it doesn't really matter now, as I have managed to configure Canalworld into a format that I am happy with.

It is a long time since I have seen XP, but as usual Google is your friend

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

if you have a desktop with a 22 inch screen my guess is that you have an inappropriately low resolution set, which you hopefully can increase.

• Greenie 1

I think I may have found it in "display properties" - "settings"  there is a  slide adjuster which is set well towards "less"  and the screen resolution is quoted as " 1200 x 750 pixels" 

Is this too low, and what happens to everything else if I adjust it?

50 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

No Idea, I know it was re-set years ago to accomodate the screensaver, but not by me. How do I find out what my screen resolution is, and what should it be? Although it doesn't really matter now, as I have managed to configure Canalworld into a format that I am happy with.

Does this mean you are still using an old CRT monitor? (Cathode ray tube, not canal river trust.)

Screensavers are unnecessary on flatscreen LCD displays AIUI.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does this mean you are still using an old CRT monitor? (Cathode ray tube, not canal river trust.)

Screensavers are unnecessary on flatscreen LCD displays AIUI.

No it is a flat screen. Screensaver was the wrong description, I meant desktop (the one with all the clickable icons on it) I have edited my earlier post.

Quote" Resolution might be adjustable from the menu of the flatscreen."

As far as i can see, it can be re-set easily by moving the slider in "display properies - settings", but, before changing it, what I wanted to know is whether a resolution of 1200 x 750 pixels is too low, and whether increasing it will mess up the display on other sites.

Just now, David Schweizer said:

I appears that the scren resolution can be re-set easily by moving the slider in "display properies - settings", but, before changing it, what I wanted to know is whether a resolution of 1200 x 750 pixels is too low, and whether increasing it will mess up the display on other sites.

It shouldn't mess things up, you should get a crisper display if using the default for your screen. Depending on your eyesight it may become harder to read as things will be smaller due to more pixels in the same physical space.