Waterways tattoo

magictime

Featured Posts

This might be a new one for CWDF, but since it's waterways-related, I thought I'd share a pic of my newly-completed tattoo. The background was just added yesterday, which is why it looks darker than the heron.

Why do I have the feeling I'm lighting the blue touch paper here? Oh well...

DSC_2922.JPG

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It's a nice job, but why not just hang a picture on your wall? I mean at least then you could take it down when you get bored of looking at it in 10 or 20 years.

Well, I found my inner arm pretty boring to look at before I got the tattoo, so if I find it boring again in 10 years' time, I'll be no worse off and I'll have had 10 years of pleasure meanwhile.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, magictime said:

This might be a new one for CWDF, but since it's waterways-related, I thought I'd share a pic of my newly-completed tattoo. The background was just added yesterday, which is why it looks darker than the heron.

DSC_2922.JPG

Nice ink. I'm a big ink fan....sadly being a total wuss with needles means I don't have any....my other half more than makes up for it tho...she's always planning her next one. 

Personally I love the look. Much better than a painting on the wall. Always amazes me that people still judge those with visible ink or piercings...it's changing slowly tho....my best friend is a teacher in a middle school who has multiple tattoos & piercings...the kids think she's amazing. 

1 hour ago, magictime said:

DSC_2922.JPG

A Harnser

28 minutes ago, frangar said:

Personally I love the look. Much better than a painting on the wall. Always amazes me that people still judge those with visible ink or piercings...it's changing slowly tho....

I certainly wasn't making any judgements, I just don't understand the appeal of "body art". I personally prefer the beauty of the un-inked human form. If that's a judgement rather than just a preference then surely your approval is also a judgement?

By posting a picture of his new tattoo on the forum the OP seemed to be asking for feedback. My apologies if that was only limited to positive responses.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I certainly wasn't making any judgements, I just don't understand the appeal of "body art". I personally prefer the beauty of the un-inked human form. If that's a judgement rather than just a preference then surely your approval is also a judgement?

By posting a picture of his new tattoo on the forum the OP seemed to be asking for feedback. My apologies if that was only limited to positive responses.

Have never quite understood Tattoos,always thought that Clothing is 'Body Art'

Used to like the Transfer Tattoos that came with 'Pirate' Bubble Gum,merely temporary but good fun for children

Edited by cereal tiller

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My father-in-law said to me several years ago "It's not my world any more, Tony."  I'm rapidly approaching the same stage in my life. 

Believe it or not, I know the feeling! I've drifted out of touch with modern culture in various ways, but the increasing acceptance of tattoos and piercings has probably helped to give me the confidence to go for that look myself rather than worrying that it's a bit 'extreme'. Or maybe I've just got to an age where I feel like I know myself and my tastes and don't care so much what other people think. Or maybe I'm just having a classic mid-life crisis. Who knows.

18 minutes ago, Dave /Helen said:

I'm thinking about getting a tat of a old narrow boat going along the canal on my arm !!!

Go for it!

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I certainly didn't feel that you were 'judging' me blackrose. I spent long enough (20 years or so!) dithering about whether I wanted tattoos myself, so it's not as if I don't understand other people's sceptical attitudes about getting them.

Huh, few years ago I nearly had a tattoo of a girlfriends name. Glad I didn't, when she left she would have taken the body part that was tattooed because it had her name on it along with everything else. 

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm afraid I'm going to give a response a lot less positive.  I regard tattoos and piercings with revulsion and dismay, as a desecration of the body.   Beautiful bodies are made ugly and ugly bodies are not improved.   The same applies to primitive tribesmen as to modern faddists.

You're perfectly entitled to your feelings (of revulsion and dismay) and beliefs (about the sacredness of the human body), but I'm not sure why you think people who have tattoos must be "faddists". Why should an interest in getting tattooed be any more likely to be a "fad" than an interest in anything else? In fact, isn't it less likely to be a "fad" than other interests people might have that involve less of a long-term commitment?

7 minutes ago, magictime said:

You're perfectly entitled to your feelings (of revulsion and dismay) and beliefs (about the sacredness of the human body), but I'm not sure why you think people who have tattoos must be "faddists". Why should an interest in getting tattooed be any more likely to be a "fad" than an interest in anything else? In fact, isn't it less likely to be a "fad" than other interests people might have that involve less of a long-term commitment?

The fact that both tattooing and tattoo removal have seen huge increases in recent years would indicate that there is a fashion element in this. And like much fashion is regarded as ugly and ridiculous except by the wearers and their peers. 

What was almost confined to primitive tribesmen and sailors 100 years ago and was a permanent process is now mainstream and often temporary.

I've got a pair of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/tattoo-sleeves

Gives me the best of both worlds, as I can take them off when I no longer want to he inked look.

Mind you they do have a habit of sagging like Nora Batty's stockings :(

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The fact that both tattooing and tattoo removal have seen huge increases in recent years would indicate that there is a fashion element in this. And like much fashion is regarded as ugly and ridiculous except by the wearers and their peers. 

What was almost confined to primitive tribesmen and sailors 100 years ago and was a permanent process is now mainstream and often temporary.

Well, of course there's a fashion element in it. There's a fashion element in the mainstream popularity of wood flooring (which I suppose might also look ugly and ridiculous to older people who associate bare floorboards with poverty). There's a fashion element in the mainstream popularity of curry (which I suppose is still perceived by some people as weird foreign muck that gives you the runs). There's a fashion element in the mainstream popularity of rock music (a blooming racket with no proper tunes). So what? It doesn't follow that everyone who sits around in a wood-floored living room listening to Metallica while eating chicken tikka masala is a "faddist". Even if some of them later wonder what they ever saw in those things, as some people get tattoos and later want them removed.

2 hours ago, Caprifool said:

Whoops, quoted wrong post, sorry.

2 hours ago, magictime said:

There's a fashion element in the mainstream popularity of curry (which I suppose is still perceived by some people as weird foreign muck that gives you the runs).

That's exactly what it is; hence I limit myself to eating this weird foreign muck not more than twice a week. Otherwise, I eat proper British food: pizza, boeuf bourgignon, chow mien, that sort of thing. One has to uphold one's national traditions.

I would never wear a tattoo but I can't see why other people shouldn't do so. I do think that heavily tattooed people can look intimidating.

Nice piece of work, did you come out planning your next one straightaway they are quite addictive? I love my tattoos and piercings, which I had done before they became more mainstream. Some work good some not so, but you have to admire some of the artists out there.

2 hours ago, Caprifool said:

I've never understood the need to say "I don't like tattoos" when someone shares their new ink. If we went about expressing everything we don't like about each other, life would get pretty grim. 

The OP shared his tattoos and implicitly expected feedback, even some negative feedback - "I may be lighting the blue touch paper here"  was the phrase.

Of course if I meet someone with tattoos I don't come out with "I don't like tattoos."   However, anyone with any perception would detect my distaste.  I am not alone, as public-facing jobs often require tattoos to be covered.  Employers aren't doing this just because of their own opinions.

• Greenie 1

I quite fancy getting one. On the upper arm, where it is easy to cover with a shirt if I end up working somewhere again with a "no visible tattoos" policy.

I'm quite taken by the Severn and Canal Carrying Company logo- a stylised and interlocking S with two Cs. The other half is considering an "IW" Inland Waterways badge, as the "Idle Women" had.