Canalside Property Oxford

mark99

Featured Posts

Not so mad really, it's a really nice big house in one of the best areas of Oxford. I rented a bedsit in a house like that in nearby Frenchay Road for a while, and though that house was rather run down because my landlady was old and not really coping well any more, living alone amidst a lot of clutter in the front room, I could see it had been a grand house.

For comparison here's a house at the same price in Forest Hill, London SE23.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60995615.html

Not central London, but a nice part of the suburbs, although in my youth I wouldn't have expected ever to read the phrase "fabulous East Dulwich".

Six bedrooms but a similar size to the house in Oxford, probably has a bigger garden, but no canal frontage.

If you could find a house (of that size) with that much garden closer in to London, it would cost a lot more.

That is precisely what property prices are like round Oxford. Twas on the news last week that in Oxford the average house price is 17 times average income where as nationaly its about 7 times. One of my drinking buddies here has just moved out to this village from Oxford having sold his terrace house for 720 thousand.

Things have changed over the last few years and inner city houses are now much more expensive than places in the countryside.

My children are trying to find a house in central Bristol right now, even by buying together the best they can hope for is a small house in need of work in a dodgy area.

...............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Things have changed over the last few years and inner city houses are now much more expensive than places in the countryside.

My children are trying to find a house in central Bristol right now, even by buying together the best they can hope for is a small house in need of work in a dodgy area.

...............Dave

Yes we need a property price crash. I have a daughter who lives in Bristol she now has a nice house after moving there from London several years ago but prices in Bristol like elsewhere are stupid. Some places are still okish though as my nephew at 21 has just moved in to his first house with his girlfriend. They have paid 130k for a nice 3 bed semi with big garage and gardens in a village in Yorkshire

It's got the 3 'P's, .rail communications to London have improved with the opening of Oxford Parkway Station (Chiltern Line).

Had my first car 'pinched' in Oxford in 1969, found next day in a village on the outskirts........

1 minute ago, LEO said:

It's got the 3 'P's, .rail communications to London have improved with the opening of Oxford Parkway Station (Chiltern Line).

Had my first car 'pinched' in Oxford in 1969, found next day in a village on the outskirts........

Yes the proximity to London is the problem. The village I am in has a main line to Paddington station with free parking and its one hour to Paddington hence stupid house prices.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes we need a property price crash. I have a daughter who lives in Bristol she now has a nice house after moving there from London several years ago but prices in Bristol like elsewhere are stupid. Some places are still okish though as my nephew at 21 has just moved in to his first house with his girlfriend. They have paid 130k for a nice 3 bed semi with big garage and gardens in a village in Yorkshire

Your wishes could be granted. I spent ages in 1992/3 working out why house prices in Luton doubled and rapidly declined within the space of a few months........Luton has just been named a 'property hotspot'........ In the late 80's prices rose from say £15000 to £30000 in matter of weeks and then fell back to £10.000 also in a matter of weeks. 

51 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes the proximity to London is the problem. The village I am in has a main line to Paddington station with free parking and its one hour to Paddington hence stupid house prices.

The only problem with Heyford station is its lack of Sunday trains out of the main summer - as I discovered to my cost way back when (a) we moored opposite and (b) it was the early days of the Network Rail online app that managed to sell me a ticket for the next day without even hinting!

Oh, the other problem? Daughter and family no long live in Oxford!

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Not so mad really, it's a really nice big house in one of the best areas of Oxford. I rented a bedsit in a house like that in nearby Frenchay Road for a while, and though that house was rather run down because my landlady was old and not really coping well any more, living alone amidst a lot of clutter in the front room, I could see it had been a grand house.

For comparison here's a house at the same price in Forest Hill, London SE23.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60995615.html

Not central London, but a nice part of the suburbs, although in my youth I wouldn't have expected ever to read the phrase "fabulous East Dulwich".

Six bedrooms but a similar size to the house in Oxford, probably has a bigger garden, but no canal frontage.

If you could find a house (of that size) with that much garden closer in to London, it would cost a lot more.

I guess my parents' old house in Woodwarde Road would be worth a fortune now!

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I guess my parents' old house in Woodwarde Road would be worth a fortune now!

Likewise the house I was born and grew up in in Queens Road, Wimbledon. 

Yup, £1.45m according to Zoopla 

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

The only problem with Heyford station is its lack of Sunday trains out of the main summer - as I discovered to my cost way back when (a) we moored opposite and (b) it was the early days of the Network Rail online app that managed to sell me a ticket for the next day without even hinting!

Oh, the other problem? Daughter and family no long live in Oxford!

Yes still no trains on a sunday in the winter. Not many anytime during the day but they stop here to coincide with early commuters and coming home.

http://DSC_0022_zpsvdncryj0.jpg

Interestingly there are three places in Lancashire and of course Warrington was formerly in Lancashire.  I have lived and worked in both South Ribble and also The Ribble Valley. My son and family live in Lancaster and good close friends live in Warrington.  For all sorts of reasons they are good choices to live and work. I note that Yorkshire doesn't get all that much of a mention! 

"This Edwardian House, built in 1912..." I think there's an estate agent who didn't pay attention during their history lessons. Perhaps they also offer 20th century houses built in 2002.

I didn't notice any mention of mooring rights.