Featured Posts

As existing members will have noticed and as per the recent announcement, we have updated the forum software to the most current version. In non-techy terms, think of it as a new engine that powers the site. The old one had reached its end of life after being in service for 5 years across many of many widely used discussion forums on the internet, including Canal World.

You will notice that "View No Content" is missing. Why? The developers modified the search functionality to give you more choice over the content you choose to see and and as such, it has been replaced with "My Activity Streams" (screenshot on where to find this below) (PC/Laptop)

create new stream.png

You can set it to to show only new content or you can set it to only display content related to what your interested in, should you wish. The choice is yours but bear in mind it has a much broader scope. With this comes a little more complexity but it's relatively easy to learn. 

Ok that's great but I just want VNC back

You can configure it to replicate the functionality of VNC. One of our forum members kindly posted the following tip on how to replicate VNC using a PC/Laptop.

1. On the home page, go to "All Activity" 
2. Scroll down to to 'My Activity Streams'

3. Select 'Create New Stream'
4. Where it says 'Stream Title write VNC or whatever you prefer 
5. Under 'Show me' select 'Content items, Comments and Reviews'
6. Under 'Read Status' select 'Content I haven't read'
7. Under 'Following' select 'Everything'
8. Under 'Content Types' select 'Topics'
9. Under 'Ownership'select 'Everything'
10. Under 'Time Period' select 'Any time'
11. Then click on 'Save Changes'
12. Go back to 'My Activity Streams' and select the stream you have just created
13. To the right of your new streams title are three, greyed out icons. Click on the 'tick' to make this stream your default.

I'm still having problems with this

Should you have any issues in completing this and should you wish to have these changes applied by me, please PM me and I will set it for you. 

I know we're somewhat relaxed when it comes to keeping on-topic but on this occasion, please may I kindly request that this topic stays on topic as we will be linking directly to this topic from other areas on the site.

Cheers

RichM

I have managed to set up the stream but is there any way to make it the default?  Currently a read a post then have to click on my activity streams and then the view new content.   I find this a pain and feel it should be unnecessary.  While I am in questioning mode is there any way to keep threads showing in the view new content after I have visited them, like it used to be in the old system? 

Well I thought I was getting there, but now I'm not!

Help, please!

I have followed the 11 steps in the original post in this thread.

Problem is that the VNC then returns me one hit for every new post in a thread, not just a single hit for the thread, (so loads for the same opic).

Already discussed, IIRC, but can't now remember how to solve!

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well I thought I was getting there, but now I'm not!

Help, please!

I have followed the 11 steps in the original post in this thread.

Problem is that the VNC then returns me one hit for every new post in a thread, not just a single hit for the thread, (so loads for the same opic).

Already discussed, IIRC, but can't now remember how to solve!

Change the content type to Topics I think is the bit you are missing.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Change the content type to Topics I think is the bit you are missing.

Sadly no!

I have followed that, and confirm my personal VNC activity stream has content type set to "Topics".

This, I think worked for me before I created this activity stream, but using my VNC is (for instance) giving me umptten hits on the "Pressure relief vale" (or whatever it is called!) thread!.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Sadly no!

I have followed that, and confirm my personal VNC activity stream has content type set to "Topics".

This, I think worked for me before I created this activity stream, but using my VNC is (for instance) giving me umptten hits on the "Pressure relief vale" (or whatever it is called!) thread!.

Do you have Show Me set to Items Only...?

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Sadly no!

Me too, and mines set on topics. How can I forget Pressure relief valves.

Would it not have been possible (and still may be) to avoid this major problem of having to create VNC for the administrator(s) to make this the default for everyone, as it was in the old version?  I guess about 99% of members viewed the forums in this way, and had VNC bookmarked or even on their desktop or whatever is the front page of their device.  Then people could explore other tweaks once they had got used to the new look.  The DIY approach is clearly giving people problems.  You can have too many choices, and I for one would have been happier to meet something approximating to what I was used to when the new look came online.

• Greenie 2

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Has anybody got something that only shows a single entry in their VNC for each thread, rather than one for each new post?

Is so, what magic setting controls that, please?

Yes definitely. It is possible. I've posted images of my "VNC" setting earlier in the "new software" thread. Here it is again.IMG_0563.thumb.PNG.7bb68a328eb3435d4daebc20bd43e8a1.PNG

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes definitely. It is possible. I've posted images of my "VNC" setting earlier in the "new software" thread. Here it is again.IMG_0563.thumb.PNG.7bb68a328eb3435d4daebc20bd43e8a1.PNG

Not quite sure how that is VNC, if "Read Status is set to "everything".  I can't see any filter there at all,

I note that both the screenshots in the previous posts show the 'expanded/condensed' buttons set to 'condensed' which reduces the list to one-liners. (It tells me that when I hover over it.)   BUT when I try to convert to 'condensed', nothing happens!   I can't get out of the 'expanded' version.

Edited to say I managed it!   I clicked on 'expanded', followed by 'condensed' and now the buttons work as they should.  Now going to see if this change persists when I leave and come back.

YES!  The setting persists and I now have one-line entries.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
further progress

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Same as Nick here, the Show me and Content Type are the settings to check.

Screenshot_2017-02-24-22-24-22.thumb.png.fd58d6680b3f8e5cb6bb51814caff54f.png

Yep, that's what I have.

I am seeing every individual new post made to a thread, making it fairly useless.

There must be some other setting somewhere that differs from yours, but I can't find it.

I've given up at the moment, hoping somebody else knows the solution!

14 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yep, that's what I have.

I am seeing every individual new post made to a thread, making it fairly useless.

There must be some other setting somewhere that differs from yours, but I can't find it.

I've given up at the moment, hoping somebody else knows the solution!

If I change Show me to Content Items, Comments and Reviews I get multiple lines per topic as per this screenshot

Screenshot_2017-02-24-22-48-07.thumb.png.7ea9a5b6d8af9aba23118f3169816f54.png

Edited by Rob-M
Replaced screenshot

It is all in the existing thread on this, the key is for "Show me" to have "Items only" and "Content types" to have "Topics".  Then you should only get on item per thread.  On he comment about "Read status" as "Everything" they you don't have to have that it is you choice if you do not want to see thread that don't contain things you have not read or not, the old view Content would show you the ones you have already read so this gives similar, but the new version does give you more flexibility.

The one area that I still have an issue with is the "RESULTS AS" which keeps going back to "EXPANDED".

Could the Admin team just include a VNC option / line  in the default streams along with the existing  five, that shows 'new content' just like the old software did?

Despite numerous advise including screen dumps in the posts above, I cannot get it to work right, I either see multiply lines showing latest post of each topic, or I cannot see topics that I have looked at within the past hour.

• Greenie 1