Cleaning water tanks.

sailor0500

Featured Posts

And as I have posted before, some years ago Thames Water published a report concerning domestic water filters. When they tested the water quality from a number of homes they found that the water quality of those with filters tended to be far worse than those without because of lack of maintenance and bacteriological contamination. No filters for me and have you seen the state of those ceramic tube type filter things after they have been in use a while. Horrible slimy things.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We tried filters Offshore and found that you could actually get bacteria growing in them if the maintenance was not 100%

Yep. That was my understanding. So without good maintenance they could be a health hazard.That was why I only ever used a couple of teaspoons of bleach in my yachts flexible tanks. Never tasted any bleach and never any problems.

Edited by sailor0500

47 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I put bleach in the tank every so often and flush it through the system. Fine for washing, brushing teeth and washing up, but we use a separate 10li container refilled every couple of days for mashing tea. Just as long as it's not that horrible hard stuff from Higher Poynton!

How often do you sterilise the 10 l containers?

13 minutes ago, mross said:

Benzalkonium chloride 
2-Bromo-2-nitropropan-1,3-diol 
Citric acid
Trisodium citrate

I wrote that Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner was peroxide based, and I see now that I was referring to Elsil, which is their fresh water additive rather than tank cleaner. I can't find an active ingredients list for Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner, just that it doesn't contain chlorine. I'll continue to use Tank Cleaner, even with the ingredients list above, but I apologise for my misleading peroxide comment.

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I wrote that Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner was peroxide based, and I see now that I was referring to Elsil, which is their fresh water additive rather than tank cleaner. I can't find an active ingredients list for Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner, just that it doesn't contain chlorine. I'll continue to use Tank Cleaner, even with the ingredients list above, but I apologise for my misleading peroxide comment.

I'm confused, you've quoted my post, which lists the ingredients and then state that ETC doesn't contain chlorine!  :D

http://www.elsan.co.uk/detergent-regulations/elsan-fresh-water-tank-cleaner.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

When the physician John Snow realised that cholera was a water born disease it was because he noticed that none of the people who worked at the local brewery contracted it; they were given a daily beer allowance and didn't drink the water from the Broad Street pump.

water is bad for you, drink beer instead 

• Greenie 1