Scroll-a-rama

junior

Featured Posts

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I've been pulling my hair out this morning trying to find my way around the forum now and work out what button does what.

I've spent all morning trying to find the 'View New Content' button. Now I've found it, it is scroll-a-rama. Is there any way of reducing the information on the screen? All i want to see is the thread titles on the screen. Now there is too much informationand you have to scroll like made.

This is actually just one of many annoying things that are wrong with this new skin. I'd like to go on record as saying that i think it is bloody awful and needs simplifyingbig time. 

• Greenie 3

As said, there is a whole thread dedicated to changes that can be made to the search, a summary of which is below.

- However I think what you want is to toggle to the 'condensed view' which is an option at the top right of the page, see the attached screen shot.

Using the 'unread content' button

• Set the 'content type' drop down to 'topics' to show results and threads rather than posts.
  • Set results to display in 'condensed' mode if you do not want to see previews of each result.
  • Click on the dot or start at the left of the title to go directly to the first unread post rather than the top of the page.
  • Save your preferred search settings as an custom 'activity stream' to go back to wherever you want.
  • Make this the default 'unread content' search by clicking the tick to the right of the activity steam title.
  • This can then be 'bookmarked' on your broswer if you wish.

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel.

Condensed View.PNG

Well I'm sorry this has now become all to complicated and I just cannot be bothered. I no longer have a boat so having to work this hard to find anything on this site worth looking at has become too much of a pain. Other forums that I am on, and they are many and varied, are no where near as difficult as this one has become. I think that someone mentioned that people will be leaving in earlier postings, well they are right. I'm off to find something easier to take my interest  on the web. There are far too many pop ups and buttons here now

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Well I'm sorry this has now become all to complicated and I just cannot be bothered. I no longer have a boat so having to work this hard to find anything on this site worth looking at has become too much of a pain. Other forums that I am on, and they are many and varied, are no where near as difficult as this one has become. I think that someone mentioned that people will be leaving in earlier postings, well they are right. I'm off to find something easier to take my interest  on the web. There are far too many pop ups and buttons here now

you are so, so right.  Unfortunately there are no longer any emoticons available to clap or say 'cheers', and neither are there any to bang your head..  

I have never found a forum that is not simple to use intuitively, until these changes appeared on CWDF.

it's all very well for Dan to explain how to change the settings, but casual visitors aren't going to do that.  They will simply visit, once, find it's all too much bother and never return.

Who are all these changes supposed to help, anyway?  Are they just the hobby/brainchild of some IT nerds? 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

you are so, so right.  Unfortunately there are no longer any emoticons available to clap or say 'cheers', and neither are there any to bang your head..  

I have never found a forum that is not simple to use intuitively, until these changes appeared on CWDF.

it's all very well for Dan to explain how to change the settings, but casual visitors aren't going to do that.  They will simply visit, once, find it's all too much bother and never return.

Who are all these changes supposed to help, anyway?  Are they just the hobby/brainchild of some IT nerds? 

:clapping::cheers::banghead:

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

:clapping::cheers:

The trouble is, the skill set needed to write good tight coding has almost no overlap with the skill set needed to understand humans and very few folk have both. This is why software authors can't write decent user manuals.

Software bloat such as we see with the new version of the forum software is another consequence, just look at the way Word, for example, is more complex with every new version. I well understand the reasons for the upgrade from the old version and it's not Dan or Rich's fault that we have what we have now.

I think I can claim to be a pretty sophisticated IT user but I'm certainly not finding this version very intuitive and I do worry it will put off newcomers.

Or maybe I've just turned into a boring old fart...

:ninja:

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

OK guys, where did you find those emoticons?  I don't see them in the options provided on this site.

• On my puter, when you hit the quote button there is a set of options at the top (see below)

Screenshot from 2017-02-25 16:54:37.png

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

They've spelt it wrong, Should be Ran-goon.

for your information it is neither.  It is Yangon.  British colonialists thought the local Myanmaris (we called them Burmese) couldn't pronounce the R in their capital's name.  Probably because there is no R in their language.

4 minutes ago, mross said:

Same when you quote

yes but ..............   I only find 21 emoticons, not including clapping and cheering. ................... or headbanging.  :angry:

Edited by Murflynn

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

for your information it is neither.  It is Yangon.  British colonialists thought the local Myanmaris (we called them Burmese) couldn't pronounce the R in their capital's name.  Probably because there is no R in their language.

yes but ..............   I only find 21 emoticons, not including clapping and cheering.

look top right on emoticons and click on the drop down list marked categories

1 minute ago, mross said:

2 minutes ago, mross said:

AHHHH   !!!!       :)

what's that all about then?  

why would anyone want an 'overview' of available emoticons?      

maybe to discourage the use of the most apt emoticons ??  :judge:     :cheers:     :banghead:  :clapping:  :banned:

as I said, there is nothing intuitive about this new site layout.

I thought the *****boat site was unpleasant in appearance but now CWDF has surpassed it. I can't find my way around. The buttons that do things are unobvious and enigmatic. Despite me being on a laptop the density of information per screen seems to get less and less, loads of white space. I'm not sure that I can be bothered anymore.