Wasted space

RLWP

Featured Posts

Obviously the announcement band with not typically be there, ditto the warning that the search is still indexing.

I will look if we can adjust the CWDF logo down so the band of blue above and below it is a lot smaller and we will then have to take it from there.

Daniel

7 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Obviously the announcement band with not typically be there, ditto the warning that the search is still indexing.

I will look if we can adjust the CWDF logo down so the band of blue above and below it is a lot smaller and we will then have to take it from there.

Daniel

A lot of space is wasted in the members information at the top of every post.

Plus seeing Richards 27,000 post count is intimidating :)

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

A lot of space is wasted in the members information at the top of every post.

Plus seeing Richards 27,000 post count is intimidating :)

We don't need that, or the 'Total Reputation' bit either

Richard

I agree that when posts are short, the size of the member information becomes significant. We will look at what can be done to reduced this.

The fact that carriage return created a new double spaced paragraph, as it does by default in new versions of MS Word, also takes up a lot of space particularly if you are used to putting in a lot of carriage returns.

Daniel

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

CAn we do something about the amount of screen taken up with 'stuff'?

Oh damn - how do you post a picture?

new-format.jpg

OK, got it

The top half of the screen is doing nothing

Richard

I have since made it so the announcement is only displayed on the main/index page as to help address the issue you mentioned.

Rich

On the topic of wasted space, on iPad and PC where you get what might be more of the full layout as opposed to iPhone where is is more compact, the logo at the top of the page is taking up too much vertical space.  Right now the image 108 pixels high, and with a bit of experimentation it needs be a max of 60 pixels high for it to not take up any additional vertical screen space.  We could have a redesigned image, but just scaling down the existing one to 60 high would be a very simple thing to do initially, and you can see from the image that is looks fine, and gives you that space back.

Dan, hopefully this could be someting that the site crew could do

Untitled.thumb.jpg.1cb46142cc90eeb5d30274714d49bff1.jpg

13 hours ago, RichM said:

I have since made it so the announcement is only displayed on the main/index page as to help address the issue you mentioned.

Rich

Good call. Now the initial wave of people seeing the new site has passed.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

On the topic of wasted space, .... the logo at the top of the page is taking up too much vertical space.  

Dan, hopefully this could be something that the site crew could do

I think its important for the sites identity to have a large clear logo.

However I also agree that at the moment it takes up too much vertical height, and that we can likely remove some of the blank space top and bottom, and maybe go 10% smaller on size as well.

Daniel

Personally I think the avatar and information under it should comprise of name, picture, member status and number of greenies.

If anyone wants more information they can click on the avatar to find it

It is illogical to have a button to award greenie,  but not be able to see how many someone has got.

Edited by cuthound
Stupidity