New software

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Despite trawaling through pages of advice, I have failed to find those instructions, could you please direct me, or as the new software does not number posts, it wouild be really helpful if you could perhaps paste it in for me ( and I suspect, a lot of other people).

Thanks in advance.

David,

Here is my go at a simple set up instructions.

. Start at the forum home page
. On the Browse tab, My Activity Streams, and Create New Stream
. On Create New Stream page
     Strean Title - give it a title you want like "View New Content"
     Show me - Content items Only
     Clicking Unread Items - Take me to the first unread comment
     Content Types - Topics
     The others can stay at the default unless you want to change them
     Save Changes
. this will show the stream results, next to the stream name the right most of the 3 icons is a tick, click that to make that stream the default
. Your named stream will now appear instead of Unread content, to the right next to Mark site read
. For RESULTS AS you can choose CONDENSED if you want to

That should be it.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Despite trawaling through pages of advice, I have failed to find those instructions, could you please direct me, or as the new software does not number posts, it wouild be really helpful if you could perhaps paste it in for me ( and I suspect, a lot of other people).

Thanks in advance.

With the Browse tab selected, click on My Activity Streams and select Create New Stream

IMG_0564.thumb.PNG.16173be33d966b5615fa05d35cd47d22.PNG

• Greenie 1

Here are some step by step instructions for those who prefer this format.  Also attached so that you can print them.  This saves going back and forth between screens or between phone and computer.

On the home page go to 'MyActivity Streams'

Select 'Create New Stream'

Where it says 'Stream Title write VNC or whatever you prefer - I added my initials so that I know this 'stream' is something I created and can edit

Under 'Show me' select 'Content items, Comments and Reviews'

Under 'Read Status' select 'Content I haven't read'

Under 'Following' select 'Everything'

Under 'Content Types' select 'Topics'

Under 'Ownership'select 'Everything'

Under 'Time Period' select 'Any time'

Then click on 'Save Changes'

Go back to 'My Activity Streams' and select the stream you have just created

To the right of your new streams title are three, greyed out icons.  Click on the 'tick' to make this stream your default.

View New Content.txt

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, john6767 said:

David,

Here is my go at a simple set up instructions.

. Start at the forum home page
. On the Browse tab, My Activity Streams, and Create New Stream
. On Create New Stream page
     Strean Title - give it a title you want like "View New Content"
     Show me - Content items Only
     Clicking Unread Items - Take me to the first unread comment
     Content Types - Topics
     The others can stay at the default unless you want to change them
     Save Changes
. this will show the stream results, next to the stream name the right most of the 3 icons is a tick, click that to make that stream the default
. Your named stream will now appear instead of Unread content, to the right next to Mark site read
. For RESULTS AS you can choose CONDENSED if you want to

That should be it.

Thanks John,

Your clear, concise step-by- step instructions were just what I wanted. 

Have a virtual greenie as I have used up todsy's miserly quota.

Greenie awarded from today's allowance.

Edited by cuthound

45 minutes ago, mross said:

Here are some step by step instructions for those who prefer this format.  Also attached so that you can print them.  This saves going back and forth between screens or between phone and computer.

On the home page go to 'MyActivity Streams'

Select 'Create New Stream'

Where it says 'Stream Title write VNC or whatever you prefer - I added my initials so that I know this 'stream' is something I created and can edit

Under 'Show me' select 'Content items, Comments and Reviews'

Under 'Read Status' select 'Content I haven't read'

Under 'Following' select 'Everything'

Under 'Content Types' select 'Topics'

Under 'Ownership'select 'Everything'

Under 'Time Period' select 'Any time'

Then click on 'Save Changes'

Go back to 'My Activity Streams' and select the stream you have just created

To the right of your new streams title are three, greyed out icons.  Click on the 'tick' to make this stream your default.

View New Content.txt

Great suggtion. As for the last step in bold I have included a screenshot showing where to find this. 

mross, would you mind if we re-use your tip? We could do with this in a more prominent location so others will get to see it.

Cheers

RichM

VNC button.png

Eureka !!! Thanks everyone, I have finally done it. It was  bit harder than suggested, as my home page is completely different from the one displayed in the posts, and does not have the panel with "browse",  "all activity" etc in it to click on. Nor do I have the bell and envelope icons, or my user name. Instead,I just have three icons in the top right hand corner. By playing around, I discovered that clicking on the third one (three horizontal bars) all the various headings are displayed in a list. From there I was able to follow the instructions, except that to save it, I had to clear my bookmarks and re set the new one. The printable instructions from mross were particulary helpful, so thank for that.

I still don't understand why it had to be so complicated, and agree with MtB that many members and newcomers will be put off by the need to mess around with clicking various buttons to make it work properly.

P.S. Jan is not a member, and she cannot re-configure the page even though she has the same page displaying as the ones posted above. If she clicks on browse the list does not include a "create new stream2 catagory, does she have to join to be able to re set the view new content?

8 minutes ago, RichM said:

Great suggtion. As for the last step in bold I have included a screenshot showing where to find this. 

mross, would you mind if we re-use your tip? We could do with this in a more prominent location so others will get to see it.

Cheers

RichM

VNC button.png

May I suggest that you also incorporate the process I had to go through, as I get a completely different home page. I use Firefox rather than IE so i don't know if that is why my home page is so different.

35 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

May I suggest that you also incorporate the process I had to go through, as I get a completely different home page. I use Firefox rather than IE so i don't know if that is why my home page is so different.

David, I don't know why your home screen is apparently different to other peoples.
It certainly is not because of Firefox, which is the only browser I use on PCS, and mine looks like the screenshots being posted.
If you can manage a screen-shot of what you are seeing, then post that, and somebody may be able to explain your anomaly'

24 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

David, I don't know why your home screen is apparently different to other peoples.
It certainly is not because of Firefox, which is the only browser I use on PCS, and mine looks like the screenshots being posted.
If you can manage a screen-shot of what you are seeing, then post that, and somebody may be able to explain your anomaly'

Could you (or anyone else) explain how I do that.

10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Could you (or anyone else) explain how I do that.

You could take a photo of the screen with a camera and upload it in the usual way by using the facility below. Like this.

images Another V1 Doodlebug bomb site.jpg

Edited by bizzard

46 minutes ago, mross said:

The reference to three horizontal bars suggests that he was using a phone.................

Once past that stage the instructions work OK.

Nope on a Desktop PC using Firefox and XP operating system (maybe that is the problem, being so old!!)

25 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Nope on a Desktop PC using Firefox and XP operating system (maybe that is the problem, being so old!!)

Hi David,

I suspect it could potentially be to do with the screen resolution on your computer as the forum will scale with it as best as possible. It has to do so in order to be compatible with as many devices as possible. 5-7 years ago when the old forum software was designed, smart phones & tablets were still in their infancy and were not used like they are today. Now, it's a lot more to accommodate for and thus we should perhaps expect the odd compromise here and there and should perhaps consider focusing on the improvements that it does have to offer. Sure, it's a new journey but we're all in the same boat. :)

I'm more than happy to configure it for you as documented here if you wish.

Rich

The menu changes to the three bars, as I mentioned last night in the New Content thread, when the screen resolution is not wide enough to show the full menus.  This is standard modern day interface for web sites using a responsive design allowing the same content to be displayed independent of the device. I used a Bootstrap CSS on my web sites which handles this without me having to produce any device specific code.

• Greenie 1

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of those who have kindly helped others by providing support, assistance & technical insight/guidance. - One of the things we do best as a community. Will be spending some time handing out my greenies to show appreciation. (didn't want to say "hearts"! :huh:)

38 minutes ago, RichM said:

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of those who have kindly helped others by providing support, assistance & technical insight/guidance. - One of the things we do best as a community. Will be spending some time handing out my greenies to show appreciation. (didn't want to say "hearts"! :huh:)

Yes I noticed that, thanks. The only slight problem is that there now seems no way to see one's total of green things. On the one hand, one of course doesn't help other people in order to bask in a large green thing total, on the other hand there doesn't seem too much point in having green things if they disappear into the ether shortly after they have been awarded.

My feeling is that there should either be no green things, or it should be possible to see one's total accumulation. I appreciate that space in a VNC-type listing doesn't want to be taken up with such clutter, but does turning that off inevitably mean that green thing totals are not available anywhere else? 

• Greenie 2