New software

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Oi! not so "basic" if you don't mind. Mine has 280bhp, 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, top speed limited to 155mph whilst also having automatic lane holding and distance keeping (from the car in front), automatic parking, reversing camera, automatic traffic sign recognition, automatic wipers and headlights/dipping, powered tailgate, flip out towbar, a TV, leather upholstery with coloured ambient lighting, seat position memory. And a lot more stuff, but I guess you get the message!

Skodas are Volks Wagens really, if so ,do they use the creative Emissions Soft ware?

14 minutes ago, mross said:

What is automatic traffic sign recognition?  Does it just take off when it sees a green light?  :unsure:

The sat nav database knows what the speed limit is on any bit of road. This is displayed on the dash as a reminder. But if you enter an area of temporary speed limit, the front facing camera sees this and changes the displayed speed limit accordingly, displays such things as "no overtaking" temporary signs too.

As to moving off on its own, it does that too. The adaptive cruise control will slow the car right down, to a stop if necessary, when the car in front slows down. When the car in front moves off, it moves off too, all with feet off the pedals. It takes a little getting used to!

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The sat nav database knows what the speed limit is on any bit of road. This is displayed on the dash as a reminder. But if you enter an area of temporary speed limit, the front facing camera sees this and changes the displayed speed limit accordingly, displays such things as "no overtaking" temporary signs too.

As to moving off on its own, it does that too. The adaptive cruise control will slow the car right down, to a stop if necessary, when the car in front slows down. When the car in front moves off, it moves off too, all with feet off the pedals. It takes a little getting used to!

The long A30 road ends abruptly at Lands end in Cornwall. Does the gadget warn you before you plunge into the Atlantic?

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Dunno, mine is petrol. But probably for the diesels.

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Which model is it?  This technobeast!

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Skoda Superb estate 2.0 tsi 280 in L&K trim with a few extras. I bought it at 6 months old. Even I'm not stupid enough to buy a brand new car!

Neither am I. Octavia 2.0 TDi DSG estate bought at four months old. Elegance trim with several additional goodies over standard (including headlight washers for the Bi Xenons). Mine has the test software cheat but no physical mods are required. The Memsahib has an Octavia diesel hatchback version with nearly all the tricks of yours, and no diesel cheat -- hers is too new!   

(Don't tell anyone the Superb is just like an Audi A6 but better built!)

Edited by Machpoint005

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It won't be a 2-3 gearchange, because he has the 7-speed DSG box.

Well actually the 6 speed wet clutches DSG one, but same difference! Changes gear in about 0.1 second which is quicker than a manually controlled one. (For those that don't know, a DSG gearbox has 2 "manual" gearboxes and 2 clutches, one set for 1,3,5,R, the other for 2,4,6. The gear train and clutch not in use preselects the next gear so that a gear change is simply a matter of disengaging one clutch and engaging the other, all done by the computer of course. So it isn't really an automatic gearbox, it is two manual gearboxes controlled automatically by a computer.

Yes I know this is all superficially off topic but underneath, it is on topic because it shows the inexorable progress of technology! Get with it or be left behind!

Back to the new forum software, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the suggestions that  if members spend a few minutes setting their "view new content" and condensed listing, everything will be  ok. Most of these comments seem to come from people who are familiar with computers and the problem is that so far, no one has suceeded in giving clear instructions on how to achieve any changes. and where people have attempted to do so, the descriptions of where and what needs to be changed bear no resemblence to anything that appears on my home page.

I cannot understand why the default cannot deliver the same facilities as the previous site, and leave the reconfiguring to those who want something different to find out how to personalize their site appearance. Couls i please ask someone who managed to fix it all in a few minutes to spend a few more minutes comiling some somple instructions to help people like myself who are getting to the stage of dumping the whole Canal World site for good.

• Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Back to the new forum software, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the suggestions that  if members spend a few minutes setting their "view new content" and condensed listing, everything will be  ok. Most of these comments seem to come from people who are familiar with computers and the problem is that so far, no one has suceeded in giving clear instructions on how to achieve any changes. and where people have attempted to do so, the descriptions of where and what needs to be changed bear no resemblence to anything that appears on my home page.

I cannot understand why the default cannot deliver the same facilities as the previous site, and leave the reconfiguring to those who want something different to find out how to personalize their site appearance. Couls i please ask someone who managed to fix it all in a few minutes to spend a few more minutes comiling some somple instructions to help people like myself who are getting to the stage of dumping the whole Canal World site for good.

I do think you need to try a little harder!  There has been plenty of help posted on the forum if you look.  Sorry if this seems rude.  The old software was probably a challenge when it was first introduced.  Remember also that the software is new to the Admins and Mods too - all of whom are volunteers.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mross said:

I do think you need to try a little harder!  There has been plenty of help posted on the forum if you look.  Sorry if this seems rude.  The old software was probably a challenge when it was first introduced.  Remember also that the software is new to the Admins and Mods too - all of whom are volunteers.

It isn't an unreasonable request that David makes.

Yes, there are ways that we can create something like the old view new content, but even then it will still be two clicks instead of one. Good practice would have been to make the link at top right work just like the old site, and those who want something different could create it (and use 2 clicks to use it)

1 minute ago, mayalld said:

It isn't an unreasonable request that David makes.

Yes, there are ways that we can create something like the old view new content, but even then it will still be two clicks instead of one. Good practice would have been to make the link at top right work just like the old site, and those who want something different could create it (and use 2 clicks to use it)

No. If you read through the thread you will find out how to have a button at the top that gives "view new content" function with one click.

I'd agree that a "how to" guide would be useful. This forum is run by volunteers. Are you volunteering to produce it?

• Greenie 1

I have tried to follow the various posts making suggestions, but some of the features that I need to set do not exist on the page that displays. My latest effort was to follow Dan's latest post which repeated earlier advice. I managed to reset "content type" to show "topics" and the "results" to display "condensed" but cannot find anywhere where I can set these as my "activity stream", with the consequence that it a reverts to the dfault when I close down and start up later. And my head is beginning to hurt!!

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

No. If you read through the thread you will find out how to have a button at the top that gives "view new content" function with one click.

I'd agree that a "how to" guide would be useful. This forum is run by volunteers. Are you volunteering to produce it?

Despite trawaling through pages of advice, I have failed to find those instructions, could you please direct me, or as the new software does not number posts, it wouild be really helpful if you could perhaps paste it in for me ( and I suspect, a lot of other people).

Thanks in advance.

26 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

David,

Like you I was frustrated when I first tried to use the new forum software. But I managed to sort it out reasonably quickly on my phone, and having set up a new "Activity Stream" (what an unhelpful term) to provide the equivalent of the old View New Content, I am pleased to find that it is there when I visit the forum on the laptop. I have now deleted my old browser bookmarks/favourites on the laptop and phone, and created new ones for my new VNC Activity Stream. This makes it easy to go straight to New Content. John 6767 provided a pretty good guide to setting up a new Activity Stream in this post.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

David,

Like you I was frustrated when I first tried to use the new forum software. But I managed to sort it out reasonably quickly on my phone, and having set up a new "Activity Stream" (what an unhelpful term) to provide the equivalent of the old View New Content, I am pleased to find that it is there when I visit the forum on the laptop. I have now deleted my old browser bookmarks/favourites on the laptop and phone, and created new ones for my new VNC Activity Stream. This makes it easy to go straight to New Content. John 6767 provided a pretty good guide to setting up a new Activity Stream in this post.

Yes, that's what I did. Deleted the old bookmark, set up the new Activity Stream, then created a new bookmark. That seems to work - well, as far as I'm concerned.