New software

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

We have head about the death knell of CWDF a lot lately.  No doubt another site was already proclaiming weeks or months ago that we were on our last legs, and would not survive.

Somehow it never seems to happen, and I can't really imagine things like having to spend a few minutes configuring things to work as you want will bring it to its knees.

What other site Alan? I know of no other canal site on tinternet?

2 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I'm 59 years old. I've been working as a packer in a warehouse for the past three years, where my only use of a computer is to scan a barcode, key in three numbers and hit return twice. I also had no dealings with the Internet or mobile phones till I was in my thirties. I joined Facebook last October, reluctantly, but after Dave had a stroke I realised it was the only way I was going to be able to contact some of his friends. Now I use it daily, have never encountered any twelve year olds on there, but do enjoy taking the mickey out of the people I work with. Things in life change. Adapt or stay in your cave. 

Ahh told you I could be wrong :D I am staying in my cave though its much warmer in here than the " modern " world. You will be trying to get me to live in a house next and life is much too short to ever do that again.

If a discussion forum forces existing users to waste time and effort confirguring it into a useable format then it IS going to drive away traffic. It should work 'out of the box' just like all other discussion forums.

Any potential new members are also pretty unlikely to make the effort either. I can imagine traffic here dropping off a cliff if it's anything like as user-hostile to new users as it is to me.

Yes I can probably configure it to my taste if I spend an hour fiddling with it and Nick is right I probably will, but equally I know a LOT of forum members who sure as hell won't bother.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I'm 59 years old. I've been working as a packer in a warehouse for the past three years, where my only use of a computer is to scan a barcode, key in three numbers and hit return twice. I also had no dealings with the Internet or mobile phones till I was in my thirties. I joined Facebook last October, reluctantly, but after Dave had a stroke I realised it was the only way I was going to be able to contact some of his friends. Now I use it daily, have never encountered any twelve year olds on there, but do enjoy taking the mickey out of the people I work with. Things in life change. Adapt or stay in your cave. 

Well said,

This twelve year old Facebook user has just submitted his state pension application, (using the new-fangled Internet, amazingly).

Stereotypes are dangerous things!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If a discussion forum forces existing users to waste time and effort confirguring it into a useable format then it IS going to drive away traffic. It should work 'out of the box' just like all other discussion forums.

Any potential new members are also pretty unlikely to make the effort either. I can imagine traffic here dropping off a cliff if it's anything like as user-hostile to new users as it is to me.

Yes I can probably configure it to my taste if I spend an hour fiddling with it and Nick is right I probably will, but equally I know a LOT of forum members who sure as hell won't bother.

Any potential new member is unlikely to notice the new format ,as they won't know the format is new.

I am sure you will get used to the new format in time, as we probably all will,who knows, we may even get to like it in a few days and wonder what all the fuss was about!

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well said,

This twelve year old Facebook user has just submitted his state pension application, (using the new-fangled Internet, amazingly).

Stereotypes are dangerous things!

Alan you should have done it on the Telephone. My missus claimed hers last year and looked on tinternet and on some paperwork they had sent her throught the post and was unsure what to do so she rang them and a nice young man did it all over the phone there and then for her and she had nowt else to do. Magic bit of kit the telephone been around donkeys years and still the quickest way.

I am quite surprised at some of the "youngsters" on here saying that the new software will be the death of CWDF. Come on guys, if I, at three quarters of a century can master it (by reading helpful posts like Nicks) then you young things should all manage too. 

There's a challenge for you :-) . Instead of posting saying how awful things are, spend the time customising it so that it works as you want it to. It will be worth it!

haggis

• Greenie 4

Clearly we can all make an effort, and get back to something that is more familiar, and hence usable.

However, it is something of a disappointment to find that we have to do that.

If you want users to like your shiny new system, you need to make it easier for them to see it as just like the old system but with more possibilities.

• Greenie 2

One thought if Briskoda is running the same software how come its so user friendly and CWDF is like a nest of vipers

Retract the above they have also changed software since I was last there.

Another nest of vipers

Edited by Loddon

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am quite surprised at some of the "youngsters" on here saying that the new software will be the death of CWDF. Come on guys, if I, at three quarters of a century can master it (by reading helpful posts like Nicks) then you young things should all manage too. 

There's a challenge for you :-) . Instead of posting saying how awful things are, spend the time customising it so that it works as you want it to. It will be worth it!

haggis

Excellent comment.

I don't need to learn how the entire site works, I'll just pick up the bits I need as I go along, just like when I learn to drive a new smartphone, laptop operating system, or software package. 

Security cannot be quietly forgotten about: there is too much personal information at stake. I even run an antivirus app on my phone (I believe that many don't).

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Who or what is " Briskoda "?

The Skoda owners' site. It's very useful for those of us with an enlightened attitude to personal transport, although I've had trouble signing in lately!

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Excellent comment.

I don't need to learn how the entire site works, I'll just pick up the bits I need as I go along, just like when I learn to drive a new smartphone, laptop operating system, or software package. 

Security cannot be quietly forgotten about: there is too much personal information at stake. I even run an antivirus app on my phone (I believe that many don't).

The Skoda owners' site. It's very useful for those of us with an enlightened attitude to personal transport, although I've had trouble signing in lately!

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, most of them do have, including every current diesel model, in common with nearly every major manufacturer. .

Ahh ok that makes sense. One of my kids ran a skoda for years as did my daughter in law. Exellent if basic mode of transport.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

100% agree. I came back here this morning to say exactly that. I won't be back to take part in any further debate until I can find a way to make the new format more useable. I'll call in from time to time to see how it's panning out.

I see I got three greenies for more earleir comment. I'm surprised there ae still three of us here.

There are other canal sites available, I'm sure they welcome new members.

Slowly getting used to it.

Once you have set and saved filters, is it possible to remove those areas from the top of the page,  or put them down the bottom???? 

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

...to add insult to injury, every time I press the enter key it drops down 2 lines....

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

... if you want a line feed it is shift+return as you would do in Word etc.

That is excellent.
I wish I had tried and hence found that myself

Thanks
Daniel

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh ok that makes sense. One of my kids ran a skoda for years as did my daughter in law. Exellent if basic mode of transport.

Oi! not so "basic" if you don't mind. Mine has 280bhp, 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, top speed limited to 155mph whilst also having automatic lane holding and distance keeping (from the car in front), automatic parking, reversing camera, automatic traffic sign recognition, automatic wipers and headlights/dipping, powered tailgate, flip out towbar, a TV, leather upholstery with coloured ambient lighting, seat position memory. And a lot more stuff, but I guess you get the message!

Edited by nicknorman