Glass Manufacturers

Featured Posts

Has anyone got the contact details of glass manufacturers who will make windscreens for boats?

A forum member on another forum has the same boat as ours and has smashed one of their screens.

Trend Marine who made the original screens want £14.6k to do the job. Another quote has come in at £15.8k!

To me these prices seems well OTT. How can a replacement glass be this much?

Granted they are quite curvy in shape but £15k really?

They are putting the claim in.

However there is a clause on the insurance regarding replacing parts old for new and they can withhold up to 30% of the cost of the replacement screen.

They have not said they will yet but if they do that is £5k plus that they have to find!

ETA: Editted to add picture showing shape and size of screen.

252598_4207639873471_1434798472_n.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

I know it is of no help to your friends but maybe for you when you come to renewal.

Our boats are both covered on 'indemnity' insurance where the full value / cost of new for old replacement is covered, except fo 'wearing' parts such as sails and outboard motors, batteries and covers.

Fixtures and fittings (such as windscreens) would be replaced at no cost to the policy holder.

Due to historical problems with some Volvo engines the are not covered fully :

For partial loss claims and/or particular average to Volvo Penta D3 and D6 engines, a contribution of 30% of the total amount recoverable under this Policy will be required from the Insured prior application of the Excess clause.

The broker we use is :

Traffords Limited
Telephone 01525 717185 Fax 01525 717767 Email: marine@traffords-insurance.co.uk

Our cover is as the map below :

post-11859-0-24029800-1487771942_thumb.png

We have just reinsured with our current insurers. Our policy is a little more favourable then the one in the OP.

It is daft though that if both front screens were broken it would beyond doubt write off the boat!

Must be more careful squeezing under low bridges blink.pngwacko.pngunsure.png

I can't see how the whole screen with all four panes of very special glass indeed could cost that. Are we sure there's not a boat model or part catalogue mix up?

They are being made up to suit the boat. They don't carry stock and have not got the original patterns or tooling to make them.

The glass contract was with Trend Marine. Sealine didn't make their own glass as most boat builders dont.

So, if a car windscreen cracked and (insert name of car manufacturer here) said "That'll be £15k because our glass contractor ditched the pattern", we'd all think they were responsible, forward-thinking car builder? That's pretty poor of Sealine and Trend Marine imho.

Thanks. I will pass these on.

So, if a car windscreen cracked and (insert name of car manufacturer here) said "That'll be £15k because our glass contractor ditched the pattern", we'd all think they were responsible, forward-thinking car builder? That's pretty poor of Sealine and Trend Marine imho.

Car manufacturers make very may more cars then boat builders do boats. We are not really talking about manufacturing on the same scale.

Sealine as was went bust about five years ago and their premises in Kiddeminster were sold along with all of the contents of the site. Whilst Sealine have been reincarnated it is by a foreign company and not in the UK.

Thanks. I will pass these on.

Car manufacturers make very may more cars then boat builders do boats. We are not really talking about manufacturing on the same scale.

Sealine as was went bust about five years ago and their premises in Kiddeminster were sold along with all of the contents of the site. Whilst Sealine have been reincarnated it is by a foreign company and not in the UK.

Oh, that's alright then. Maybe £15k for a small section of windscreen isn't the issue I thought it was. Perhaps it's acceptable that a Sealine is recategorised as a BOATT - Bring Out Another TEN Thousand! :D

Oh, that's alright then. Maybe £15k for a small section of windscreen isn't the issue I thought it was. Perhaps it's acceptable that a Sealine is recategorised as a BOATT - Bring Out Another TEN Thousand! biggrin.png

£15k isn't acceptable.

But neither is expecting a company that has gone bust to keep around a stock of windscreens for the 100 boats they made of a particular model. rolleyes.gif

Another vote for polycarbonate. I have 6mm polycarbonate in 8 of my windows, I made the windows and used it because its a little barge and people can sit on the roof, I was worried about feet going through windows. It is also the outer layer of 'double glazed' pigeon box roof lights, worried about people tripping and putting hands through glass - been there now for 8 or 9 years and still OK. Get the best possible, some of the cheaper stuff does yellow and scratch easily.