Peg Feeding Tube

Dalesman

Featured Posts

After getting over throat cancer some years I find that I can no longer swallow food and have just been fitted with a peg tube to feed directly into my stomach. Do any of our members have the same thing..and if so how does it effect your boating..?

Edited by Dalesman

Not first hand like you want, but I had an op in 2008 which often results in the patient having to be fed by PEG long term, (removal of oesophagus and large part of stomach).

From what I read prior to my op, it didn't cross my mind that I wouldn't be able to go sailing offshore for a few days at a time, although I don't recall the detail.

The chances of someone here having a PEG are slim, (not nil), but the chances of someone on a support forum having dealt with a similar issue are probably high?

i was lucky and didn't need a PEG :)

• Greenie 1

My Dad had throat cancer and had to have a PEG fitted. He was able to continue boating, although he sometimes had complications that compromised his boating. Most of them were not related to the PEG tube although on one of our boating trips we had to get Dad ambulanced off the boat at Braunston due to a bleed in his stomach and he had to spend a week in Northampton General. 

We used to have to find space for all his bottles of special food but obviously we did not have to shop for him. 

Edited by mattlad