Does anyone have a spare water point key?

silverlode

Featured Posts

Hello, I've been really unorganised and I haven't collected my water point key yet (I sent it to a friend's address but haven't had time to travel and collect it yet.)

Does anyone in the Castlefield area possibly have one I could borrow tomorrow (Monday)? I'm all out of water. New to boating and didn't keep an eye on my water - totally my fault so I won't be offended if you all tell me to get lost! :)

Will pay or provide alcohol of choice in return!

This does depend on being able to move my boat - I'm on the first bit of the Rochdale canal and the water level has gone way down! :(

Thanks for reading, as always.

Edited by silverlode

Hello, I've been really unorganised and I haven't collected my water point key yet (I sent it to a friend's address but haven't had time to travel and collect it yet.)

Does anyone in the Castlefield area possibly have one I could borrow tomorrow (Monday)? I'm all out of water. New to boating and didn't keep an eye on my water - totally my fault so I won't be offended if you all tell me to get lost! smile.png

Will pay or provide alcohol of choice in return!

This does depend on being able to move my boat - I'm on the first bit of the Rochdale canal and the water level has gone way down! sad.png

If the tap is outside there's every likelyhood that its not locked or the padlock stolen, anyhow with the latest stainless steel boxed in ones you can put your hand up into the box from below to connect to and work the tap. Awkward but possible.

This does depend on being able to move my boat - I'm on the first bit of the Rochdale canal and the water level has gone way down! sad.png

Well I am not surprised at that, when we were there the last boater up hadn't bothered to shut the top gates behind them.

There is a water tap just down the Bridgewater where the restaurant boats moor and thats not locked.

If the tap is outside there's every likelyhood that its not locked or the padlock stolen, anyhow with the latest stainless steel boxed in ones you can put your hand up into the box from below to connect to and work the tap. Awkward but possible.

I found a chastity belt similar to that once.

• Greenie 1

There is a water tap just down the Bridgewater where the restaurant boats moor and thats not locked.

Thank you! I'll see if I can get there! Think if I carefully reverse down the centre I can just about make it.

Is it obvious to see? Or is it inside a little shed or something?

Sorry for lack of replies everyone - totally forgot to receive updates on the topic! Great start to the week... duh.

Edited by silverlode

Thank you! I'll see if I can get there! Think if I carefully reverse down the centre I can just about make it.

Sorry for lack of replies everyone - totally forgot to receive updates on the topic! Great start to the week... duh.

On the side of the brick hut on the off side under the railway arches

Ive no idea where you are . Im not familiar with the area . Seems to me though perhaps get on google / bike / foot / ask another boater to locate the nearest waterpoint , move the boat to it asap and then see if you can use it without the need for a key or simply wait for someone to arrive and try to borrow thiers maybe .?

Edited by chubby

On the side of the brick hut on the off side under the railway arches

Thank you! I wondered if it was there - walked past in the dark on the opposite side the other night but couldn't quite see. I'll give it a go!

Thanks everyone for all your help, as always :)

Edited by silverlode

Remember if you try to back up the lock afterwards you will take another lock full of water from that already low pound.

Remember if you try to back up the lock afterwards you will take another lock full of water from that already low pound.

Is this a really bad idea? Would it make so much of a difference that I might not be able to get back up again?

Ive no idea where you are . Im not familiar with the area . Seems to me though perhaps get on google / bike / foot / ask another boater to locate the nearest waterpoint , move the boat to it asap and then see if you can use it without the need for a key or simply wait for someone to arrive and try to borrow thiers maybe .?

Yeah I had a scan for it on foot but wasn't sure what I was looking for! I didn't know whether I was literally looking for just a tap, or something a bit fancier. I'm literally learning on the go as and when I face problems! (However small and ridiculous they might seem to experienced boaters...!)

Thank you! I wondered if it was there - walked past in the dark on the opposite side the other night but couldn't quite see. I'll give it a go!

Thanks everyone for all your help, as always smile.png

There is also a waterpoint down the lock and at the end of the basin after going under the railway on your right going down. You can buy a key on line http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151845695504?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=39613511478&rlsatarget=aud-105106656306%3Apla-279348967138&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045262&device=c&campaignid=737386489&crdt=0

Is this a really bad idea? Would it make so much of a difference that I might not be able to get back up again?

Probably, depends how much water is in there now.

Probably, depends how much water is in there now.

I'm pretty sure I can get down; the level keeps rising a little and then going down again from day to day... might have to moor on the Bridgewater for a week once I'm down there. Have to risk it, or no water for me until the works have finished!! My own fault.

There is also a waterpoint down the lock and at the end of the basin after going under the railway on your right going down. You can buy a key on

We used to use the waterpoint along there on the same side as the YM but the last time we were there, it either wasn't there or wasn't working. We tried to use the one across the canal but I seem to remember a problem with the hose connections and we ended up using the one where the trip boat moors. Mind you, it a couple of years since we have been to Castlefield so things might have changed!

haggis

I'm pretty sure I can get down; the level keeps rising a little and then going down again from day to day... might have to moor on the Bridgewater for a week once I'm down there. Have to risk it, or no water for me until the works have finished!! My own fault.

If you use the lock make sure yo shut all the gates and paddles to reduce leaks afterwards. When I was there 2 weeks ago the top gates had been left wide open so there was only the bottom ones trying to stop your pound draining.

If you use the lock make sure yo shut all the gates and paddles to reduce leaks afterwards. When I was there 2 weeks ago the top gates had been left wide open so there was only the bottom ones trying to stop your pound draining.

Will definitely shut them. The amount of times I've arrived at a lock to find them open is ridiculous. Might not matter so much usually but when there's this amount of water it's a bit worrying! Though I doubt anyone will be using them now until the canal is open again. Apart from me, like an idiot ?

Will definitely shut them. The amount of times I've arrived at a lock to find them open is ridiculous. Might not matter so much usually but when there's this amount of water it's a bit worrying! Though I doubt anyone will be using them now until the canal is open again. Apart from me, like an idiot

One of the things few people point out to you as a new boater is the importance of 'redundancy'. By this I mean having two methods of achieving everything important.

It's good advice to never cruise with fewer than two windlasses as dropping in the only windlass stops you dead at the next lock. Two or more water point keys and handcuff keys in the boat are equally important. Expanding on the concept having two methods of heating the boat is fantastic for when you run out of coal (or diesel), which happens. Having a genny around for when your alternator or engine packs up is another example.

Anyway don't worry about being an idiot. One has to be one to by a boat in the first place :D :D

Remember that if you stay in Castlefield for more than 7 days you'll get a ticket.

Yup, will get a temp license if I can't get back on the Rochdale ?

One of the things few people point out to you as a new boater is the importance of 'redundancy'. By this I mean having two methods of achieving everything important.

It's good advice to never cruise with fewer than two windlasses as dropping in the only windlass stops you dead at the next lock. Two or more water point keys and handcuff keys in the boat are equally important. Expanding on the concept having two methods of heating the boat is fantastic for when you run out of coal (or diesel), which happens. Having a genny around for when your alternator or engine packs up is another example.

Anyway don't worry about being an idiot. One has to be one to by a boat in the first place :D :D

I'm beginning to think that may be the case!! ? Thanks for being kind to a newbie :)

Learning all these things the hard way!

Edited by silverlode

Will definitely shut them. The amount of times I've arrived at a lock to find them open is ridiculous. Might not matter so much usually but when there's this amount of water it's a bit worrying! Though I doubt anyone will be using them now until the canal is open again. Apart from me, like an idiot

given the low water levels on the Rochdale 9, and that you need to go down to the waterpoint, would it be more sensible to continue along the Bridgewater once you've watered up, rather than heading back up above Dukes Lock for a few days more?

given the low water levels on the Rochdale 9, and that you need to go down to the waterpoint, would it be more sensible to continue along the Bridgewater once you've watered up, rather than heading back up above Dukes Lock for a few days more?

And have a pump out/empty cassettes, fill up with diesel, buy some coal etc.