Views on this unique boat

Jon57

Featured Posts

Your statement surely contradicts itself.

One reason for the asking price is that the boat has received a recent major refit and upgrade which must have cost five figures, excluding the pence. This also means that much of her equipment is not 17 years old at all, but 4 or 5 years, excluding the engine which is 50 years or so old.

I wonder why the galley has both a range and a gas cooker though?

Overall there is very much to like, and if she was 20 feet shorter (with a concomitantly shortened price) I'd be over there having a look.

As a matter of interest, what does the team think would be a fair price for this boat? I would hazard a guess at £80,000.

Still a 17 year old boat. There was a boat called Oak for sale around 2010, may of been this boat, as I remember the owner saying everything was solid oak, asking price was £75-£78K, which was still a lot of money for a second hand boat then. Edited by Northernboater

Still a 17 year old boat. There was a boat called Oak for sale around 2010, may of been this boat as I remember the owner saying everything was solid oak, asking price was £75-£78k for what I remember, which was still a lot of money for a second hand boat then.

In parts, yes.

From memory, the one about which you're talking had an oak hull, with all the maintenance problems which that could entail. I think it's been for sale again more recently - is her full name 'Maid Of Oak' or summat similar?

130K is a lot of money for a second hand boat, Some of you might remember the 2014 Crick boat "Celtic Pride" which was up for sale at roughly the same price after the show. YouTube link below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjYuM8AlkU

Which one would you buy??

In parts, yes.

From memory, the one about which you're talking had an oak hull, with all the maintenance problems which that could entail. I think it's been for sale again more recently - is her full name 'Maid Of Oak' or summat similar?

No it was not that boat. Edited by Northernboater

130K is a lot of money for a second hand boat, Some of you might remember the 2014 Crick boat "Celtic Pride" which was up for sale at roughly the same price after the show. YouTube link below.

Which one would you buy??

No it was not that boat.

Definitely Oak, if she was shorter! That's not to say that Celtic Lady isn't a fine-looking boat in some respects.

Actually, CL's exterior with (most features of) Oak's interior would fit the bill nicely.

Edited by Athy

Definitely Oak, if she was shorter! That's not to say that Celtic Lady isn't a fine-looking boat in some respects.

Actually, CL's exterior with (most features of) Oak's interior would fit the bill nicely.

I must admit there is quality woodworking skill on show with Oak's interior that would be very expensive to fabricate today, but maybe a bit too dark for people's tastes today looking at recent Crick boats.

£130k just too much. Might have a chance at @£70K.

66ft just a tad long,

I must admit there is quality woodworking skill on show with Oak's interior that would be very expensive to fabricate today, but maybe a bit too dark for people's tastes today looking at recent Crick boats.

£130k just too much. Might have a chance at @£70K.

66ft just a tad long,

Actually we are broadly in agreement here - except that, in the words of a kind friend, I am "nuts about France", so anything with a (reproduction of) a period French interior appeals to me.

So, I reckoned £80,000 and you reckon £70,000. Any more guesstimates valuations?

Actually we are broadly in agreement here - except that, in the words of a kind friend, I am "nuts about France", so anything with a (reproduction of) a period French interior appeals to me.

So, I reckoned £80,000 and you reckon £70,000. Any more guesstimates valuations?

Well in the region of £70k give or take?? A difficult boat to value, has pluses and negatives.

Absolutely: it depends whether it's so stylish that it quickly attracts a buyer, or so individual that people think "Baa! That's too different. Baa!"

It's hard to see though that they actually want a buyer, or they might have actually priced it at a price that might induce someone to bother to go and view it.

We all know about "cheeky offers", but is anybody going to go and look at a boat priced at £130K, if in their own mind it might be worth not a lot more than half that?

Perhaps there is a potential scam here? Advertise boat for £130K, and then it does a "Que Sera Sera" and "disappears" from the canal system. Claim to insurance company for £130K, because that's what it was on the market for!

Only joking of course, but, I repeat, what can possibly be a genuine vendors logic in putting a ridiculous price tag on what at the end of the day will never be a less than 17 year old shell?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjYuM8AlkU

Which one would you buy?

It was a MUCH nicer video :)

... what can possibly be a genuine vendors logic in putting a ridiculous price tag on what at the end of the day will never be a less than 17 year old shell?

And accompany it with such a bloody awful video...

Reminds me of a Victorian funeral parlour. Very gloomy and depressing.

Yes I see where your coming from, looks depressing with no colour. Then again it looks as if you were to get modern colourful stuff it would just look out of place. Maybe some modern William Morris wallpaper/fabrics to bring some colour in???

Reminds me of a Victorian railway carriage, as for the shell nothing special, doesn't seam to go with the character of the interior with those Windows.

Is that an alter under the cratch?

Certainly unique but that doesn't equate to wantable or sellable especially with a dreamable asking price.

Edited by Northernboater

My impression of Oak from watching the video was that it was a mash-up of reclaimed hardwood doors and panels from various bits of old furniture melded into a framework of veneered ply and hardwood trims. Celtic Pride seems far more purposeful in its design and, in my opinion, more pleasing. Neither are really to my taste. However, I trained as a bench joiner many years ago when it was 'uncontroversial' to be working with Brazilian Mahogany and, looking at these eye-watering prices, I could be tempted to literally get back to the drawing board.

• Greenie 1

My impression of Oak from watching the video was that it was a mash-up of reclaimed hardwood doors and panels from various bits of old furniture melded into a framework of veneered ply and hardwood trims. Celtic Pride seems far more purposeful in its design and, in my opinion, more pleasing. Neither are really to my taste. However, I trained as a bench joiner many years ago when it was 'uncontroversial' to be working with Brazilian Mahogany and, looking at these eye-watering prices, I could be tempted to literally get back to the drawing board.

Pray tell us, what is controversial about this particular wood, and is it used in the fit-out of 'Oak'?

Pray tell us, what is controversial about this particular wood, and is it used in the fit-out of 'Oak'?

I didn't notice its use in Oak. The controversy is simply rain-forest related. Apparently it's just about acceptable still to harvest the tropical forests elsewhere in the world but one mention of Brazilian and you're (probably correctly) assumed to be some earth destroying climate change denier. I only mentioned it because that was the particular species I worked with at the time.

I didn't notice its use in Oak. The controversy is simply rain-forest related. Apparently it's just about acceptable still to harvest the tropical forests elsewhere in the world but one mention of Brazilian and you're (probably correctly) assumed to be some earth destroying climate change denier. I only mentioned it because that was the particular species I worked with at the time.

Ah, fair enough.

I reckon that for half that money you could find a boat that would take you round the world in reasonable comfort and safety.

It's most unlikely that a prospective buyer for this boat would be looking for a boat that could take him/her round the world in reasonable comfort and safety.

I bet that he/she just wants a good and comfortable luxurious boat to play with on the canals, and that money isn't a problem.

Peter.

It's most unlikely that a prospective buyer for this boat would be looking for a boat that could take him/her round the world in reasonable comfort and safety.

I bet that he/she just wants a good and comfortable luxurious boat to play with on the canals, and that money isn't a problem.

Peter.

...or to play with in the marina?