Views on this unique boat

Jon57

Featured Posts

I think it proves that no matter how brilliant the fit out is - and it is v.good indeed - it is still a 60 foo narrowboat. If you had two identical Barratt homes and one was magnificent inside with thousands spent on the fixtures and fittings it wouldn't be worth much more than the ordinary one.

Bit dark for my taste but I would rather have this than the oak faced plywood sheds with fake marble worktops and house sized showers which are being churned out now.

But at least with those you get a brand new boat, rather than 17 year old boat.....

........ or, in fact, for the price being asked here you could have two brand new boats!

• Greenie 1

I agree with a lot of the above comments. My feelings is like anything in life, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As I said it's not for me. I Would like a traditional old boat or a modern classic like a les Allen tug . That's what l like about the boating community where all different and this boat must have given the owners a lot of enjoyment. As does my present boat which is ok but l need to move on to the next level whatever that is!!

But at least with those you get a brand new boat, rather than 17 year old boat.....

........ or, in fact, for the price being asked here you could have two brand new boats!

But I was only commenting on the style and perceived quality of the boat Alan, not the price which will eventually be what someone is prepared to pay. Also I do wonder about the quality of the steel used on some new builds. When I was building steel yachts we used only BS certificated plate. God only knows what some of the imported plate used is like now.

In reply to Alan's post about the price as I said it's only worth what someone's prepared to pay (if it floats their boat ) sorry about the punn and it gives them pleasure all good and well.

Like yourself I admire your boats love the history, what price can we put on that. Plenty

I do hope that whoever buys it insists that everyone aboard wears late 19th century period costume. That boat needs a very well dressed owner, who has to be wealthy anyway to buy it. A captain in full uniform, with a captain's hat; this is one of the few narrow boats where it wouldn't look too out of place. Crew, again in uniform with hats appropriate to their rank. Cook, but without a chef's hat because there probably isn't the headroom. And a kitchen/parlour maid, perhaps combining the roles because by now the boat's getting a bit crowded. In fact, just get a butty for the main kitchen and the staff accommodation, towed on cross straps so that the kitchen maid can hand the food across to the parlour maid, who will have to be very careful not to drop the silver in the cut.

I do hope that whoever buys it insists that everyone aboard wears late 19th century period costume. That boat needs a very well dressed owner, who has to be wealthy anyway to buy it. A captain in full uniform, with a captain's hat; this is one of the few narrow boats where it wouldn't look too out of place. Crew, again in uniform with hats appropriate to their rank. Cook, but without a chef's hat because there probably isn't the headroom. And a kitchen/parlour maid, perhaps combining the roles because by now the boat's getting a bit crowded. In fact, just get a butty for the main kitchen and the staff accommodation, towed on cross straps so that the kitchen maid can hand the food across to the parlour maid, who will have to be very careful not to drop the silver in the cut.

Subtle as a flying mallet, Mr. X! Do I detect that you feel that this boat is the teensiest bit pretentious?

If it was 46 feet rather than 66 feet long I'd be tempted to have a look. I could always repaint the taps.

Edited by Athy

For the sort of money they're asking, there may be a silver-magnet included in the list of equipment that comes with the boat.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

A Gardner 2LW, but with some sort of modification at the near end of the view, not sure what it is: maybe just a cover for the fuel filters?

Once you get past such frippery as the gold taps, and the crockery that's just waiting to jump off that shelf on impact, it's a very high-spec boat which has much to commend it, not including its asking price. I wouldn't mind that France-Belge stove, which appears to be an antique model.

The shell looks a bit "square" to these eyes, not much tumblehome, possible bridge-clouting?

Just for your information, the make of that stove is Franco-Belge.

Peter.

Just for your information, the make of that stove is Franco-Belge.

Peter.

Thank you, but you do not need to inform me, just inform my independently-minded keyboard!

I'm familiar with the marque, as we considered one for Trojan, but ended up installing an old Godin instead.

Thank you, but you do not need to inform me, just inform my independently-minded keyboard!

I'm familiar with the marque, as we considered one for Trojan, but ended up installing an old Godin instead.

As I didn't know about your independently-minded keyboard, and wouldn't know how to inform that, you are in a much better position to supply that information to your keyboard yourself.

Btw, you can inform your keyboard that it didn't make a mistake writing "Godin".

Peter.

I wonder what this boat cost back in 2000 when originally built?

Looks like there's been a lot of money spent on this boat, one massive money pit.

£130k for a 17 year old second hand boat, madness.

Your statement surely contradicts itself.

One reason for the asking price is that the boat has received a recent major refit and upgrade which must have cost five figures, excluding the pence. This also means that much of her equipment is not 17 years old at all, but 4 or 5 years, excluding the engine which is 50 years or so old.

I wonder why the galley has both a range and a gas cooker though?

Overall there is very much to like, and if she was 20 feet shorter (with a concomitantly shortened price) I'd be over there having a look.

As a matter of interest, what does the team think would be a fair price for this boat? I would hazard a guess at £80,000.

Edited by Athy