Urgently seeking corgi gas fitter for cooker switch...welford

Nb Gwithian

Featured Posts

Hello lovely people...

So late last year many of you kindly offered advice on trying to get my old flavel stove up to scratch. I finally gave up on it in Nov and acquired a 2nd (BSS ok) replacement. My problem is that I have been waiting since Nov to get this fitted, the local person was away then too busy etc. I am fed up with tripping over the new cooker in the cabin, plus I need BSS is now due!

Anyone know of a corgi fitter who could get this done ASAP? Moored at Welford.

Huge thanks pls feel free to private message if you prefer.

Kay

GORGI went out years ago, I believe it's Gas Safe and Boat Safe these days and the gas fitter must have his Boat Gas Safe ticket to fit and sign off boat appliances.

Solution is find out who is the local Boat Safe Gas guy, give him a ring, he fits the cooker, signs it off for the BSS and you pay him. Simple.

Are you looking for a cheap solution? As I can't see anyone other then a Boat Safe Gas fitter solving your predicament.

Have you the money to pay for the work?

Speak to the local Marina/Boatyard to get the work done, take your boat there, they organize and get the job done, you pay them jobs a good-un.

Edited by Northernboater

GORGI went out years ago, I believe it's Gas Safe and Boat Safe these days and the gas fitter must have his Boat Gas Safe ticket to fit and sign off boat appliances.

Solution is find out who is the local Boat Safe Gas guy, give him a ring, he fits the cooker, signs it off for the BSS and you pay him. Simple.

Are you looking for a cheap solution? As I can't see anyone other then a Boat Safe Gas fitter solving your predicament.

Have you the money to pay for the work?

Speak to the local Marina/Boatyard to get the work done, take your boat there, they organize and get the job done, you pay them jobs a good-un.

You do have a way with words, don't you? I know what I would reply if I were the OP.

What is the difference between a Corgi gas fitter and a normal gas fitter?

Corgi is defunct while a normal gas fitter will be Gas Safe Registered.

This is of course bollocks as any fool knows. Even Northernboater himself could fit gas appliances on leisure boats if he so wished, provided he did it competently.

Only for a liveaboard is Gas Safe Registration mandatory.

Apologies for the lack of correct terminology. In answer to questions - no boatyard can't do it, and I have been advised to find someone else, after 4 months of them trying to secure a fitter. No the bss person doesn't know of anyone else other than the fitter used by the boatyard. As to the pathetic / superfluous / patronising /faintly mysoginist? response - how sad. It needs fitting, fast, by someone qualified to do it. i just needed suggestions of names/ places, (thank you for crick suggestion and list of gas safe ).

Apologies for the lack of correct terminology. In answer to questions - no boatyard can't do it, and I have been advised to find someone else, after 4 months of them trying to secure a fitter. No the bss person doesn't know of anyone else other than the fitter used by the boatyard. As to the pathetic / superfluous / patronising /faintly mysoginist? response - how sad. It needs fitting, fast, by someone qualified to do it. i just needed suggestions of names/ places, (thank you for crick suggestion and list of gas safe ).

Although some of the responses weren't very helpful and one perhaps slightly rude, the only mysoginism is in your head. You would have received exactly the same treatment if you had been bloke. If I were a gas fitter I'd be reluctant to work for someone who seeks mysoginism at every turn where none exists. They would be concerned that any glitch, disagreement on the bill etc would come down to "it's because I'm a girl" and life is too short for that sort of rubbish. I suggest you refine your search only to female gas fitters, then this problem won't arise.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

Nick is right, Northernboater is noted for patronising and belittling posts in response to genuine requests like yours for help. He is not by and large mysoginistic.

But getting back on topic, no-one so far has pointed out GSR have a search facility for gas technicians (few are engineeers despite the incorrect terminology) on their site. Here is a link to the results of my search for boat-quailifed gas bods near Northampton. There are quite a few in your area for you to choose from.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/find-by-location/?ep=1xPOGK1AdTeDy4hfLti5P6obYcjtV7jpUPia%2bhscIpALl2wolwGmEAUP9G82OjGzfU4yJsKGXWkK%2fSrOBprV7A%3d%3d

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

From a consumer point of view, CORGI (Council of Registered Gas Installers) simply morphed into GasSafe. For a live aboard you should have the installation signed off by a GasSafe person with specific boat permissions. For a recreational use boat no sign off is needed.

Use MtB's link above to find an installer in your area with the permissions needed to sign off boat installations.

From a consumer point of view, CORGI (Council of Registered Gas Installers) simply morphed into GasSafe.

Not quite true actually. Being picky, CORGI still exists and for gas bods in Northern Ireland, they are still the body holding and administering the register.

Here in EW&S, CORGI held a unique position being a private limited company endowed with statutory powers, i.e. charged with administering the register. All would have been well had they not abused their powers. They overstepped the line with their abuse when they made registration of all gas boilers mandatory with them (on pain of deletion from the register), then proceeded to sell the data on new boiler installations to British Gas, Homeserve etc so every boiler we installed received a letter from BG, HS etc offering mainatenance plans. Even today CORGI Ltd still exists but with their statutory powers withdrawn, plundering the (old now) data they still hold and offering service contracts to all and sundry.

The govt responded eventually by setting up a new body owned by itself to administer the Register, calling it Gas Safe Register and changing the law to disenfranchise CORGI Ltd. I never found out why they managed to retain administration of the register in NI.

The gov't currently subcontracts administration of the register to Capita, but should they start abusing the data it is now easy to switch administrators whilst keeping the switch invisible to the public.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Very interesting and informative post, Mike. I didn't know any of that.

Although some of the responses weren't very helpful and one perhaps slightly rude, the only mysoginism is in your head.

I completely agree. I had no idea what sex OP was. Does she think that we check out the details of every new poster?

Not quite true actually. Being picky, CORGI still exists and for gas bods in Northern Ireland, they are still the body holding and administering the register.

Here in EW&S, CORGI held a unique position being a private limited company with a statutory right to administer the register. All would have been well had they not abused their powers. They overstepped the line with their abuse when they made registration of all gas boilers mandatory with them (on pain of deletion from the register), then proceeded to sell the data on new boiler installations to British Gas, Homeserve etc so every boiler we installed received a letter from BG, HS etc offering mainatenance plans.

The govt responded eventually by setting up a new body owned by itself to administer the Register, calling it Gas Safe Register and changing the law to disenfranchise CORGI Ltd. I never found out why they managed to retain administration of the register in NI.

The gov't currently subcontracts administration of the register to Capita, but should they start abusing the data it is now easy to switch administrators whilst keeping the switch invisible to the public.

According to the gassafe website they have been responsible for Northern Ireland and Guernsey since 2010.

If a member is sensitive such things they don't have to show their gender in their profile (I think).

Yes. But sadly misogyny is quite common which leads wimmins to see it everywhere, even when it is not present.

Mysandry is rarer but also exists, and (understandably) tends in my experience to be doled out by those who feel misogynised.

I note that one canal side name on Mike's list who is possibly nearest to you that I will never use again. They fitted a faulty manufactured compression fitting that resulted in a gas leak. When I found the culprit it was clear that they had had a problem and solved it by an exceptionally liberal application of Calortite type jointing compound rather than inspecting the parts and finding an incomplete thread that prevented the olive being compressed enough to make a safe seal.

Just one of their high quality jobs!

Edited by Tony Brooks