Site Outage 18/02

RichM

Featured Posts

We encountered an outage today as a result of a storage issue which effectively stopped the database from functioning. This was resolved this afternoon. This was similar to the issue encountered on the 14th. We have contacted our hosting provider to review the amount of resources allocated to our server to prevent a recurrence.

It may be that some may see a SQL error when navigating to some pages as this was encountered by a view users on the last occasion and was resolved by clearing their browser cache.

We apologise once again for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you

Best,

RichM

Many thanks for letting us know. The Forum has just reappeared for me on Safari via which I am replying, but is still not available to me on Chrome. Just for information, and thanks again.

If you can use it through one browser, but not another, then the remaining issue is likely to be at your end, not the server end.

Have you tried fulling clearing the cache on the device you are using Chrome on?

I'm on Chrome and I got the SQL error which still didn't clear by emptying the browser cache. On the previous outage I did get it working by clearing the browser cache. It's now working fine. I'm pretty certain the fault is with the server and not with the end users machines.

I'm on Chrome and I got the SQL error which still didn't clear by emptying the browser cache. On the previous outage I did get it working by clearing the browser cache. It's now working fine. I'm pretty certain the fault is with the server and not with the end users machines.

That is correct though some users may have spent time refreshing the page to see if the site is back online. This will cause the page to be cached in the browser as the browser would have noticed that the site is displaying the same error. So although the root cause of the problem was entirely server-side, browser caching on the user's side can cause the error to appear still even though the actual issue with the server has been resolved.

RichM