Buyers Market vs Sellers Market

bluenosegirl

Featured Posts

I believe we could sell the boat we bought in September 2015 for a profit, including getting back everything we've spent on it

and all our subsequent fees (C&RT licences, mooring, etc), such is the strength of the (seller's) market at present.

My reasoning is that a friend's son bought an ex-hire boat a bit older than ours, the same length, but not so well equipped, etc, for the same price as we paid

and from the same place late last year and it's not a patch on what we got.

Your friend's son might have bought badly. Did he have help in making his choice?

I hope you have put in a clause that the new owner has to take part in the BCN Challenge.

:)

Hope the sale goes well.

:)

Thanks.

I'll put a condition on the sale that if they enter the challenge they have to donate their points to us!

We'll still be there this year, but hopefully on our new boat.

Tom

Your friend's son might have bought badly. Did he have help in making his choice?

Sorry Laurie, I've only just seen your query. I believe he had it surveyed and it's essentially solid, but he (and his girlfriend) really didn't know what

they were looking at. At the time, his dad didn't know we'd bought a boat either, so didn't ask me to come along which was a shame as I might have had a better idea

about it.

They didn't realise it was an ex-hire boat until I told them, and a lot of the stuff that needs doing isn't disasterous, but it is expensive of course.

Edited by Joe the plumber

That is the problem with that seller, for every 'good one' they sell they dishonestly sell 100 'bad ones'.

In our litigious age, I wouldn't want to put something like that on a public forum if I didn't have hard, verifiable evidence to back it up. One of these

days Whilton are going to make an example of someone for writing things like this.

Back on topic, my point is that a boat that might have been five to ten grand less only 18 months ago is 'worth' a lot more in the market conditions today.

My mate's son's boat isn't unsound, it's a few years older and needed more work doing to it than ours did for the same money we'd paid a year before.

In our litigious age, I wouldn't want to put something like that on a public forum if I didn't have hard, verifiable evidence to back it up. One of these

days Whilton are going to make an example of someone for writing things like this.

Most unlikely; but, were they to do so, it might well be with you that they take issue, as you have mentioned the seller's name, whereas Alan did not. In this "litigious age", you should perhaps take more care.

Yes

I noticed too . It struck me that Mr de Enfield very purposely avoided using any business names whatsoever .

Despite mentioning no name at all , it seemed very evident that many including Joe The Plumber knew exactly to whom he was ( possibly ) referring .

This would suggest that thier poor reputation & questionable practices are widely known . Theres no smoke without fire .

Id be very cautious of buying from " the mystery dealer " as theyre not worthy of my trust or my money . Without a degree of trust im not likely to involve myself with such a business .

Edited by chubby

Tubby. If you haven't bought a boat from them, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Of course I know whom Alan was referring to. I said my mate's son bought his boat from the same broker as we did, and as we bought ours from Whilton, it

is ridiculous to suggest there was ever any doubt about it. My point was merely to show how much prices have risen with a direct comparison between two

similar boats from the same broker a year apart.

As Alan well knows, I have nothing but praise for Whilton (see plenty of my previous posts for proof). I've never posted anything other than positive comments

about them on here, so I very much doubt that they would have grounds (or any desire) to take me to court for that.

I've also yet to meet (first hand, and I've met a few now) anyone who has bought a boat from them and not felt just as happy about them as we do. Their supposed

faults seem to come from people who haven't bought boats from them and are merely repeating whispers from the grapevine.

If Alan has got positive, verifiable evidence that Whilton are "dishonest" (his words, and I'm not letting him hide behind not naming them), I suggest he posts it for

us all to see, or else stops writing the same heresay and drivel every time their name is mentioned.

Bye for now.

If Alan has got positive, verifiable evidence that Whilton are "dishonest" (his words, and I'm not letting him hide behind not naming them), I suggest he posts it for

us all to see, or else stops writing the same heresay and drivel every time their name is mentioned.

Bye for now.

One man's "hiding behind" is another man's "being diplomatic".

I assume that this "heresay" is a mélange of hearsay and heresy - gosh, a potent mixture!

There's two sides to every story Joe.

You have one side, and all credit to the nameless lot for treating you well.

They had to get it right eventually.

There are also a lot of people who have been victim of sharp practice, been told information that was perhaps fluid with the truth, and been told lies.

Perhaps now they have cleaned up their act.

• Greenie 1

Sorry Laurie, I've only just seen your query. I believe he had it surveyed and it's essentially solid, but he (and his girlfriend) really didn't know what

they were looking at. At the time, his dad didn't know we'd bought a boat either, so didn't ask me to come along which was a shame as I might have had a better idea

about it.

They didn't realise it was an ex-hire boat until I told them, and a lot of the stuff that needs doing isn't disasterous, but it is expensive of course.

Of course I know whom Alan was referring to. I said my mate's son bought his boat from the same broker as we did, and as we bought ours from Whilton, it

is ridiculous to suggest there was ever any doubt about it. My point was merely to show how much prices have risen with a direct comparison between two

Perhaps you would be kind enough to show me, where in the above post (21st Feb at 7:12pm) you :

1) Said they had purchased the boat from Whilton, or

2) That they purchased it from the same broker as you purchased yours

That was the post I replied to.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Their supposed faults seem to come from people who haven't bought boats from them and are merely repeating whispers from the grapevine.

This is clearly bollux.

The negative comments and story I post about them from time to time is not whispers from the grapevine, it is direct personal experience.

I'd say you just got lucky.

Tubby. If you haven't bought a boat from them, you have no idea what you're talking about.

As Alan well knows, I have nothing but praise for Whilton (see plenty of my previous posts for proof). I've never posted anything other than positive comments

about them on here, so I very much doubt that they would have grounds (or any desire) to take me to court for that.

I've also yet to meet (first hand, and I've met a few now) anyone who has bought a boat from them and not felt just as happy about them as we do. Their supposed

faults seem to come from people who haven't bought boats from them and are merely repeating whispers from the grapevine.

Bye for now.

Id openly admit to being a tad confused .

Ive skimmed back thru the thread . No mention of any brokerage by name occurs until YOU mention one by name . Not overly wise i 'd suggest having just felt an overwhelming need to give legal advise about litigation .

Id ask :

1) how do you know i haven t bought a boat from the brokerage in question ?

You don t know do you ? You have assumed . Assumption is also unwise is it not ?

2) How do you know i don t know anybody who s had problem with the brokerage in question ? Again , you do not know . More assumption .

3) How do you ascertain that my attitude is based on hearsay or some some of grapevine ? .....You do not know do you ?

It seems there is alot you do not know . Which makes it unwise to come on here accusing others of not knowing much .

I simply noted , as did another person , the hypocrisy of advising about legal matters before going on yourself to name the business n question .... for tje first time in the thread .

As it happens i have no issues with the brokerage you saw fit to name at all . My comments , if you read them again , just state that because their reputation is not entirely trustworthy I choose & will continue to choose not to have any dealings with them .

I am entitled to mistrust them as you are entitled to praise them . I would suggest however that you are very much in the minority with your opinions .

Please don t make assumptions about folk you 've never met , such as myself , as you have no idea whatsoever about the foundations of my opinion s.

cheers

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 4

Hello,

I have only just joined the forum today so hello all!

I was curious to read the correspondence above. It seems as though it is pretty clear by now, but as a narrowboat broker myself I can confirm that it is very definitely a sellers market at present! Boats are selling so quickly once they come onto the market that the challenge is getting the boats to sell, not selling them. We are desperately short of stock.

I think there are lots of reasons. The pension release rules, as someone mentioned above, for sure is having an effect. We are also selling many boats to relative youngsters who simply cannot afford to get on the housing ladder and see boats as a more economical option. The TV exposure that narrowboats are getting is having, I am sure, an impact and I also think that more people are looking at the UK as holiday options rather than foreign travel due to currency related cost increases and terrorism threats.

My advice as and when you find your boat is certainly not panic buy. We have seen customers here buying boats without even having looked in the engine bay, and foregoing surveys, just to avoid missing out on the boat. So keep a steady head, but also do not dither. Accept that compromise will usually need to be made but proceed quickly once you think you have found your boat. Otherwise you will lose it.

• Greenie 1

Hello,

I have only just joined the forum today so hello all!

I was curious to read the correspondence above. It seems as though it is pretty clear by now, but as a narrowboat broker myself I can confirm that it is very definitely a sellers market at present! Boats are selling so quickly once they come onto the market that the challenge is getting the boats to sell, not selling them. We are desperately short of stock.

I think there are lots of reasons. The pension release rules, as someone mentioned above, for sure is having an effect. We are also selling many boats to relative youngsters who simply cannot afford to get on the housing ladder and see boats as a more economical option. The TV exposure that narrowboats are getting is having, I am sure, an impact and I also think that more people are looking at the UK as holiday options rather than foreign travel due to currency related cost increases and terrorism threats.

My advice as and when you find your boat is certainly not panic buy. We have seen customers here buying boats without even having looked in the engine bay, and foregoing surveys, just to avoid missing out on the boat. So keep a steady head, but also do not dither. Accept that compromise will usually need to be made but proceed quickly once you think you have found your boat. Otherwise you will lose it.

Hello to you.

You have taken on what was the best brokerage in the past and I wish you well. Tell Paul to pull his finger out and sell his boat whilst its still a buyers market biggrin.png

How does this work? I can't see how getting a survey would lead to someone missing out. In my experience a deposit will take the boat off the market whilst waiting for the survey to take place.

If I was selling a boat and two prospective buyers were interested and one said "I'll give you a deposit if you take it off the market so I can arrange a survey after which I may try to knock the price down or walk away", and the other said "Yes I'll have it, you can have the money this afternoon" guess which one I'd sell to?

If I was selling a boat and two prospective buyers were interested and one said "I'll give you a deposit if you take it off the market so I can arrange a survey after which I may try to knock the price down or walk away", and the other said "Yes I'll have it, you can have the money this afternoon" guess which one I'd sell to?

This is exactly what is happening, don't expect Lulupinkfish to agree though

Ermmmm I give in. Can't figure it out.

Oh I geddit. The first one, if she is a girl as hot as Lulu Fish!

Precisely what happened with my last boat two years ago. I had two buyers in two days both stating they wanted to buy it. I didnt take it off the market and one guy paid within a day or two without a survey. No deposits and faffing just a straightforward sale. He actualy wanted to pay immediately but I told him he needed to pay through Dom the broker.

Edited by mrsmelly

The boat does technically come off the market once a deposit has been taken, but as Wotever points out, if someone is prepared to pay straight up, its an easy decision for the vendor. No haggle, no hassle.....

Quite. And the hassle comes not just from the delay and uncertainty introduced by getting a survey, but from the buyer wanting the deposit to be refundable and the sell seeing that as making the deposit pointless.

The boat does technically come off the market once a deposit has been taken, but as Wotever points out, if someone is prepared to pay straight up, its an easy decision for the vendor. No haggle, no hassle.....

And having read on this forum the oft quoted advice 'get a survey, as the surveyor will find enough wrong with the boat to justify a reduced offer that will more than cover his cost' the vendor will know that having agreed a price, he will then be 'knocked down' even further.

When I have sold my boats I have informed the prospective purchaser that' the price is the price', they are more than welcome to have a survey and from the results of the survey can decide to buy or not to buy at the agreed price.