Buyers Market vs Sellers Market

bluenosegirl

Featured Posts

I'm currently at the start of my boating adventure, boat buying!

I've seen old posts from some years ago stating that it was a buyers market. I'm curious to know the signs of a buyers market and the signs of a sellers market as well as what kind of market people think we are in at the moment?

Thanks!

It's been a seller's market for about 18 months now. All the brokers seem desperate for boats to sell and the only ones not shifting in a couple of weeks are either unusual or overpriced.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Sellers market. We started looking last summerand found we were very much at a disadvantage, with boats we set it to see that morning sold by the time we arrived.

The boat we bought was a fixed price with no negotiation as he wasn't desperate to sell and knew he'd get that price at some point.

I have been told more than once that as long as it is a sensible mid range boat it is very much a sellers market, and prices seem to have risen to reflect this.

One brokerage said if they could get a steady supply of boats from Liverpool Boats at around the 57 foot mark, and around the 10 year old mark, with decent but not luxurious fit-outs that they could keep selling them as fast as they come in.

Definitely a sellers' market at the moment. I was worried about putting our boat up for sale in mid October because I thought the market would be seasonal, but she sold for not much less than the asking price within two weeks - we actually had an offer that wasn't stupid the day after she went on brokerage. We were a bit worried about holding out for more in case we came a cropper and had no further offers (we needed the cash fairly urgently) but it paid off.

I'm currently at the start of my boating adventure, boat buying!

I've seen old posts from some years ago stating that it was a buyers market. I'm curious to know the signs of a buyers market and the signs of a sellers market as well as what kind of market people think we are in at the moment?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

One sign of a sellers' market is a steady stream of people popping up on here asking about buying a boat... e.g now ;)

And the corollary is when no-one is interested, it's a buyer's market.

That's one factor, together with low interest rates. No point keeping cash on deposit, may as well spend it.

And of course the reverse.

People are hanging on to them, because cash is a poor investment, hence less of a stock available to those looking to buy.

I believe we could sell the boat we bought in September 2015 for a profit, including getting back everything we've spent on it

and all our subsequent fees (C&RT licences, mooring, etc), such is the strength of the (seller's) market at present.

My reasoning is that a friend's son bought an ex-hire boat a bit older than ours, the same length, but not so well equipped, etc, for the same price as we paid

and from the same place late last year and it's not a patch on what we got.

Wow, thanks for the fantastic response! I've had this idea in my head for a while and now seems the right time, our time in London feels like it's up. We're tired of the crowds, noise and pollution. Fingers crossed that the stars align and the right boat at the right price comes up at the right time. Not too much to ask for eh?

Looking forward to joining the community in the real world and not just virtually some time in 2017!

Wow, thanks for the fantastic response! I've had this idea in my head for a while and now seems the right time, our time in London feels like it's up. We're tired of the crowds, noise and pollution. Fingers crossed that the stars align and the right boat at the right price comes up at the right time. Not too much to ask for eh?

Looking forward to joining the community in the real world and not just virtually some time in 2017!

Don't buy a boat in London, in general you will pay well over the odds for anything that floats (even if it takes 5 pumps running continuously to keep it floating)

• Greenie 1

Well this all makes depressing reading for someone with no boat to sell and in no position to buy for a couple of years yet! I hope prices don't climb too much, or that house prices keep pace with them at least (house sale will be funding boat purchase). Nightmare scenario for us would be a recession driving house prices down and boat prices up (through increased demand for cheap housing).

Don't buy a boat in London, in general you will pay well over the odds for anything that floats (even if it takes 5 pumps running continuously to keep it floating)

Yes we'd come to this conclusion at the start of the search. When we find our boat we'll be leaving London so there is no advantage to buying here and paying above odds. smile.png

Was half tempted to cruise our boat down to London and sell. Think it might have fetched a higher price!

I have to say I was surprised at the interest in our boat. Had 5 viewings and 2 offers today and it's only been on 10 days or so. Hopefully now sold.

Tom

Was half tempted to cruise our boat down to London and sell. Think it might have fetched a higher price!

I have to say I was surprised at the interest in our boat. Had 5 viewings and 2 offers today and it's only been on 10 days or so. Hopefully now sold.

Tom

Fingers crossed for you.

Tom

Well it looks a fine boat and it's a credit to all you and all the dedicated work you've done on it.

Frankly I'd have thought you'd have acheived more than £30k had you taken it down to London. Set against this the effort and uncertainty would have been considerable. Sadly, needing to sell against a deadline has worked savagely against you.

Frankly I'd have thought you'd have acheived more than £30k had you taken it down to London. Set against this the effort and uncertainty would have been considerable. Sadly, needing to sell against a deadline has worked savagely against you.

I'm not convinced full length boats will do any better in London than elsewhere. There seems to be a general trend towards much shorter, due to the extreme difficulties into trying to find moorings. As most of the popular spots are now at least double berthed, or often three abreast or more, it is relatively harder to moor a boat on the outside if it is a lot longer than the vast majority of the others.

Many hardened London live aboards seem to prefer the mobility advantages of a relatively short boat.

Edited by alan_fincher

Tom

I hope you have put in a clause that the new owner has to take part in the BCN Challenge.

:)

Hope the sale goes well.

:)