Thames visitor licences-2 weeks?

frangar

Featured Posts

Hi

We are thinking of going south for the first time in many years... the first time in fact since 1997....and going down the GU then along the Thames possibly to Lechlade then back on the Oxford in late March till mid April

Looking at the EA/Gov website it seems visitor licences are available for either a day, week or month...I'm thinking a week might not give us much time should the river go into flood or we fancy a day or two in one place...but a month is a bit overkill. Does anyone know if that's the only option? I know when we were last on the Thames in the mid 90's there were limits on how many visitor licences you could have in a year etc.

A two week visitor licence would be ideal but unless I buy two one week licences that doesn't look to be an option.

Any thoughts on the licence and the trip in general more than welcome....e.g. Can we actually moor for the night once we get past Berko? ..... I noticed there is whole new system for mooring on the Thames....so any thoughts on Thames visitor moorings welcome too!

Many thanks

Gareth

I think that depends on the lock keeper at the first lock.

We have bought a 2 week licence, at 2 times the cost of a one week licence with no problem, they just hand write the expiry date on the card anyway.

We have also had a lock keeper refuse to do that, and got snotty with me about it, basically why am I asking for 2 weeks and I must be stupid if I can't understand 1 day/1 week/1 month. So if you get one that will not do it you will have to buy 1 week and then when that runs out buy another 1 week at the next lock you come too.

Two weeks does not sound a lot for the GU up to Lechlade and back to Oxford, obviously doable, but a month licence is about the cost of 3 single weeks I think so is good value if you have the time.

I think that depends on the lock keeper at the first lock.

We have bought a 2 week licence, at 2 times the cost of a one week licence with no problem, they just hand write the expiry date on the card anyway.

We have also had a lock keeper refuse to do that, and got snotty with me about it, basically why am I asking for 2 weeks and I must be stupid if I can't understand 1 day/1 week/1 month. So if you get one that will not do it you will have to buy 1 week and then when that runs out buy another 1 week at the next lock you come too.

Two weeks does not sound a lot for the GU up to Lechlade and back to Oxford, obviously doable, but a month licence is about the cost of 3 single weeks I think so is good value if you have the time.

Thanks for that....I'm not missing something then!

How much time we have may well dependant on work as much as anything....I did think about a gold licence but I'm not sure we will do justice to that. I'm guessing you can just buy another week when the first one exprires....day licences now seem to be quite pricey too!

It isn't difficult to find an overnight mooring on the GU all the way down to Brentford, as long as you're a bit flexible about exactly where. In the most convenient spots e.g. near public transport you might see an unbroken long line of boats, but there are plenty of empty lengths of towpath too. It's a different story on the ever-popular Regent's Canal, but that isn't in your plans. To wait at Brentford prior to getting out on the tidal Thames you might need to breast up to someone, but the canal's fairly wide there so I doubt it would be difficult.

Canalplan says Brentford to Lechlade then back to Wolvercote Junction (via Duke's Cut) is 66 hours of boating, so it's a rather fast week, a comfortable two weeks, or a lazy month averaging only 2.5 hours a day. It's up to you, depending on how quickly you like to take things.

If the river goes into flood (does anyone know roughly the probability of that in March/April?) you just have to adapt and re-plan. If that leaves you unable to move for a week or two I guess EA would be reasonable about it so long as you get going once the level comes back down. I'll be going up from Reading to Oxford with bigste some time during the first few days of April, we might come across you there. If he's doing the transit on a one day licence we might overtake you.

frangar, on 16 Feb 2017 - 1:16 PM, said:

How much time we have may well dependant on work as much as anything....I did think about a gold licence but I'm not sure we will do justice to that. I'm guessing you can just buy another week when the first one exprires....day licences now seem to be quite pricey too!

A Gold runs from January to December only - so you've missed the chance - i.e. not cost effective, unless you want to leave the boat on the Thames for long periods.

Peter X, on 16 Feb 2017 - 1:46 PM, said:

If the river goes into flood (does anyone know roughly the probability of that in March/April?) you just have to adapt and re-plan. If that leaves you unable to move for a week or two I guess EA would be reasonable about it so long as you get going once the level comes back down. I'll be going up from Reading to Oxford with bigste some time during the first few days of April, we might come across you there. If he's doing the transit on a one day licence we might overtake you.

In our current climate it's impossible to predict anything. The Thames water catchment area is huge and water levels rise quite quickly. Unless there is a prolonged period of heavy rain, the river returns to normal quite quickly as well. That's why 'we' have lock keepers to manage the flow - as far as they are able. (If CaRT take over as they seem to want, then there'll be no lock keepers....).

If you get trapped when Red boards are displayed, you are able to use the lock layby as a safe haven and I'm sure if you treat the facility fairly and keep a note, a lockie or patrol will be understanding. The regulations make no provision for that, but it's a matter of custom and practice.

You must purchase whatever licence you need for the full time that you are on the Thames and that includes any stay in a marina. However, if you break your journey by going into the K&A, then there's nothing to stop you buying a fresh licence as the next lock down (Sonning). You could probably do the same if you popped up the Wey.....

AFAIR March can be a bit wet, but usually by April things have settled down (and the days are longer for cruising). Would it be practicable to do the River downstream? There's always at least I mph current which is tedious in a NB even with a big engine. Punching the stream when on 'Yellows' is even more so.

It isn't difficult to find an overnight mooring on the GU all the way down to Brentford, as long as you're a bit flexible about exactly where. In the most convenient spots e.g. near public transport you might see an unbroken long line of boats, but there are plenty of empty lengths of towpath too. It's a different story on the ever-popular Regent's Canal, but that isn't in your plans. To wait at Brentford prior to getting out on the tidal Thames you might need to breast up to someone, but the canal's fairly wide there so I doubt it would be difficult.

Canalplan says Brentford to Lechlade then back to Wolvercote Junction (via Duke's Cut) is 66 hours of boating, so it's a rather fast week, a comfortable two weeks, or a lazy month averaging only 2.5 hours a day. It's up to you, depending on how quickly you like to take things.

Thanks for that. I think two weeks is the best plan...at least I won't be pushed to moor in a particular place. I'm used to rivers so like to build some "flood time" into my plans. I'd hoped there were still some places to moor but I have heard some horror stories probably by people who have heard from a mate!

If you do see us on Doris then give us a wave....I'm guessing I'll have the VHF on too.

A Gold runs from January to December only - so you've missed the chance - i.e. not cost effective, unless you want to leave the boat on the Thames for long periods.

In our current climate it's impossible to predict anything. The Thames water catchment area is huge and water levels rise quite quickly. Unless there is a prolonged period of heavy rain, the river returns to normal quite quickly as well. That's why 'we' have lock keepers to manage the flow - as far as they are able. (If CaRT take over as they seem to want, then there'll be no lock keepers....).

If you get trapped when Red boards are displayed, you are able to use the lock layby as a safe haven and I'm sure if you treat the facility fairly and keep a note, a lockie or patrol will be understanding. The regulations make no provision for that, but it's a matter of custom and practice.

You must purchase whatever licence you need for the full time that you are on the Thames and that includes any stay in a marina. However, if you break your journey by going into the K&A, then there's nothing to stop you buying a fresh licence as the next lock down (Sonning). You could probably do the same if you popped up the Wey.....

AFAIR March can be a bit wet, but usually by April things have settled down (and the days are longer for cruising). Would it be practicable to do the River downstream? There's always at least I mph current which is tedious in a NB even with a big engine. Punching the stream when on 'Yellows' is even more so.

Good point about punching the flow....we don't usually have trouble on flows but I agree it can be a bit tedious. The Ribble was fun last year! Going with the flow might make more sense....what's it like going in at Brentford?.....we didn't find west stockwith or selby too stressful but that means I'm far from complacent.

Thanks for the advice so far...very helpful

Gareth

Buy a weeks licence, then at the first lock after it's run out buy another. You might need a cheque book as I doubt if all of the locks have card readers. The lockies will stop you if you licence has expired.

Martin/

That's what I would do. I can't find the number of visitor licences you can buy in a year on the web site now, I don't know if its changed or not

Buy a weeks licence, then at the first lock after it's run out buy another. You might need a cheque book as I doubt if all of the locks have card readers. The lockies will stop you if you licence has expired.

Martin/

Yes that is a good point, the locks that are commonly used to buy licences when you come on all have card readers, but a random lock where they don't commonly issue licences they possible don't have one.

Brentford is easy compared with West Stockwith or Selby. Just don't leave the turn to late or you over run the entrance to the creek and have to push against the tide to get back.

He would be coming out at Brentford so even easier smile.png

You don't need VHF for Bentford to Teddington in a narrowboat.

Hi I bought a gold license for the same reasons as you are considering and although it was £300 more than my annual CRT license which was due at the end of this month I was delighted to receive a cheque for the 2 months overlapping. I think I might pop down to the River Nene at Northampton aswell as I'm passing on the GU.

Yes that is a good point, the locks that are commonly used to buy licences when you come on all have card readers, but a random lock where they don't commonly issue licences they possible don't have one.

He would be coming out at Brentford so even easier smile.png

You don't need VHF for Bentford to Teddington in a narrowboat.

Post #6 he asked what's it like going in at Brentford.

I've never had a problem buying a licence for two weeks. Done it at least once a year for the last four years.

Last year got caught on red boards for 4 days during May. When we got going again the next lock extended the licence for the four days lost.

Shouldn't have any problems with moorings in March/April. Not sure about the new mooring regime. You were always meant to contact someone when you arrived at EA visitor moorings but I don't think anyone bothered. Now you are meant to contact outfit called Thames Visitor Moorings who will supposably police the use of moorings.

Post #6 he asked what's it like going in at Brentford.

Yes...I hadn't given much thought to pushing the flow so I might come out at Oxford and back in a Brentford now

I would recommend the River Wey as an extra. Its another toll but I've done it a couple of times and it is worth it.

Not going to have time this trip sadly....might have to wait for another time

I've never had a problem buying a licence for two weeks. Done it at least once a year for the last four years.

Last year got caught on red boards for 4 days during May. When we got going again the next lock extended the licence for the four days lost.

Shouldn't have any problems with moorings in March/April. Not sure about the new mooring regime. You were always meant to contact someone when you arrived at EA visitor moorings but I don't think anyone bothered. Now you are meant to contact outfit called Thames Visitor Moorings who will supposably police the use of moorings.

Thanks for that and all the other replies....very useful...seems you have to do the new mooring thing online...it does look like the first day is free in the places I have looked so far.

frangar, on 16 Feb 2017 - 6:07 PM, said:

Yes...I hadn't given much thought to pushing the flow so I might come out at Oxford and back in a Brentford now

Excellent!

Thanks for that and all the other replies....very useful...seems you have to do the new mooring thing online...it does look like the first day is free in the places I have looked so far.

You only pay for official EA moorings - and there aren't many of those. Have a look at the map on the site.

The 'new' system is a bit rough around the edges. It wants your credit card up front and - when I last looked if you don't report you've left by 16:40 hrs, you'll be charged. The moorings are supposed to be on a 24 hour basis. However, the chap running it is open to suggestions....

Apart from 'no mooring' signs there are lots of places where folk moor with no charge. For example:-

Abingdon

Culham

Several places between Clifton and Day's and below the river Thame bridge

Wallingford

Beale Park

Pangbourne meadow

and (as they say) many more....

Moorings at Henley above the bridge are charged for an overnight stay. Below the bridge and above Mapledurham lock are managed by SRB moorings - he with acute hearing.. will cost you £8.

The new "Thames Visitor Moorings" scheme has no statutory basis in respect of visitor moorings provided by the Environment Agency.

The Thames Conservancy Act Section 136 prescribes that no charge may be made for a reasonable period or for overnight mooring. It also states that any charges are to be those appointed by Byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force:

"Charges for Mooring - Section 136 -The Conservators may from time to time demand and receive in respect of vessels using any of the moorings in the Thames belonging to the Conservators the charges appointed by byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force save that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

The privately operated TVM web-site states that “You can add further nights to your stay by clicking the icon” and then specifies that a charge of £5 must be paid for any “additional night”. It also suggests that in breach a charge of up to £100 may be payable.

Section 23 of the later 1972 Thames Conservancy Act removes only the statutory obligation for charges for moorings owned by the Agency “to be appointed by Byelaws”. It has no effect on the statutory provision of Section 136 of the 1932 Act that “no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

But then the Environment Agency does seem to like to make it up as it goes along!

The new "Thames Visitor Moorings" scheme has no statutory basis in respect of visitor moorings provided by the Environment Agency.

The Thames Conservancy Act Section 136 prescribes that no charge may be made for a reasonable period or for overnight mooring. It also states that any charges are to be those appointed by Byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force:

"Charges for Mooring - Section 136 -The Conservators may from time to time demand and receive in respect of vessels using any of the moorings in the Thames belonging to the Conservators the charges appointed by byelaws of the Conservators for the time being in force save that no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

The privately operated TVM web-site states that “You can add further nights to your stay by clicking the icon” and then specifies that a charge of £5 must be paid for any “additional night”. It also suggests that in breach a charge of up to £100 may be payable.

Section 23 of the later 1972 Thames Conservancy Act removes only the statutory obligation for charges for moorings owned by the Agency “to be appointed by Byelaws”. It has no effect on the statutory provision of Section 136 of the 1932 Act that “no charge shall be made for vessels tied up or moored at night or for a reasonable time when not at work unless the traffic of the Thames is thereby impeded."

But then the Environment Agency does seem to like to make it up as it goes along!

This new system will likely generate a lot of complaints

There is no Resident lock keeper at Goring and several other locations,so no one to check on over stayers

The EA 24 Hour mooring at Shiplake is never checked so if there was a Commercial enterprise over seeing these moorings it may be worth their while to collect any potential fees

Cannot see this Idea lasting long

CT

Flow on the Thames at normal levels, you are having a larf.

Maybe Loddon is unusual fir a narrowboat but we hardly notice it.

Going downstream it is however easier to get the ropes on in a lock

I will admit to being flagged down by the EA twice for speeding, why the limit is so low compared to the Nene is a mystery to me.

As for places to stop The Three Horseshoes has gone posh, the beer in the Anchor is fine and The White Horse is now a foody pub with drinkable beer if you like McMullens ;)

Edited by Loddon

Certainly some time ago we had problems trying to use CanalPlanAC for planning on the upper Thames above Oxford.

CanalPlanAC had completely wrong distances recorded for various legs of that stretch. This resulted in some of the suggested timings being wrong, (not slightly wrong - very wrong!).

This was several years ago, so I'm fairly certain it will long since have been sorted out, but it might be worth doing a sanity check on anything it comes up with against another source.

Onewheeler, on 16 Feb 2017 - 9:13 PM, said:

...other than at Easter when all the plastic boats come out to play

I wish that was really so - on the Thames (can't say for other rivers). I find that Easter is really quiet unless we get a heatwave, when there's a bit more activity. Traffic is well down generally, folks seem to buy a boat and then leave it in a marina. To my mind it's a real case of Use It or Lose It - well certainly the lock keeper service.

Several lockies regularly comment - "if it wasn't for the NBs the river would be dead". Certainly NB traffic is usually long distance whereas "other craft" just potter to the nearest pub and back...

I'm re-evaluating relocating at the mo. The WEY and THAMES seems more attractive to me than trundling past ever increasing static boats.

The Wey is ,of course,Beautiful as is the Thames

Have not taken the Narrowboat on to BWB/CRT waters since 2006 as the Proliferation of CMers was increasing even then.

Home Mooring is on the Thames and 124 miles of Cruising is adequate, the Wey is nice to visit every now and then

CT