Baby on board..

Jennyf87

Featured Posts

Arthur - this concerns me a little as I didn't even stop to think the powers that he might have an issue with it..

We of course have a fridge, have microwave, central heating, even a small second 'bedroom' for when they get old enough to move away from us.. you'd almost think we live like humans!

I didn't consider that it might not be seen this way, is it likely that there'll be an issue??

I dont think you will have any problems at all. health care proffesionals deal with people in all kinds of circumstances, most I have come across luv the boat life idea. Funnily enough though if you approach one of the big dog rescue groups such as Blue cross they dont entertain rehoming onto a narrowboat or certainly didnt when we asked. The more localised dog rescue centres run by people with brains and allowed to make an informed decision certainly do rehome to boats though

I come from a long long line of boaters - my great grandmother used to pull the working barge with a harness from the age of about 10. They were too cheap to buy horses...

Hope to start our little one with that from 5 if we can get a suitable harness.

• Greenie 1

We don't live aboard but have cruised when the kids were babies. Sort out a cot that is up high and you will have to keep the boat much warmer during the night. When they start to crawl and are able to climb the steps, is when the real problems start. I find the marina the most dangerous place to be with toddlers, we get out the marina to the towpath as soon as possible.

We took my first born on a 3 week hire boat trip starting when he was 9 weeks old. But halfway through the first week I broke my ankle. Didn't stop us though. Just meant I did all the steering while the wife did all the locks!

The wife should do all the locks.

• Greenie 1

Congratulations! As mrsmelly said please don't worry about the professionals, you are more than adequately set up. If your health visitor is a problem ask for someone else. Your kiddie will have a wild time, all the kids I know who live on boats love it and get such an enriched life.

Rule no 1. Convince the health visitors and midwives that you can cope on a boat, that you have cool (fridge?), hot -sterilising, and warm -feed and environment.

Rule no 2. Convince said people that you have all the support you need day and night -you will need it.

Life on board is better than they think, but you have to demonstrate that when they call.

Arthur - this concerns me a little as I didn't even stop to think the powers that he might have an issue with it..

We of course have a fridge, have microwave, central heating, even a small second 'bedroom' for when they get old enough to move away from us.. you'd almost think we live like humans!

I didn't consider that it might not be seen this way, is it likely that there'll be an issue??

I doubt many health visitors will have come across a baby on a narrowboat. The older and more experienced the health visitor the more likely they are to be understanding and relaxed about the way of life.

I don't see why the environment on a narrowboat should be detrimental to a baby! If it's one baby and no other children then as long as you can grab sleep when you can you should be fine. After a few weeks a baby will generally sleep for much of the night.

Convince the health visitors and midwives that you can cope on a boat, -means make a nice cup of tea when they visit!

Convince said people that you have all the support... You will be tired for all of the first weeks, you need help -Husband, sister, mother, good friends etc

Hello all.

I'm just looking for any advice / experiences..

We are expecting our first in June and live aboard a 60ft nb at a marina.

Does anyone have any tips or insights into living aboard with a baby?

TIA!

I suspect some hackles will rise after this post. This is my experience with babies and small children though not on a boat.

0 - 6 months they tend to move little and stay put. Therefore there is little risk of any them coming to any harm on a boat through their own action.

6 - 12 months they are becoming mobile. They have no sense of danger and will be into anything and everything. If they can hold it they will, and pull anything they can lay their hands on, such that your belongings will rise vertically to be out of their reach. Wood stoves will have to be reassessed for safety, barriers considered.

12 - 18 months If not walking they will often be able to stand up and climb, same state as 6-12 except their reach and their ability to climb will try you. I regard this as their most dangerous time from their own innocent harm. Doors will have to be kept shut, gates to the galley put in place. If there's a pan handle it will get pulled. Similarly doors to the outside are inherently closer to them on a boat and there is the additional danger of water. Many houses have a front door and a front gate whereas on a boat there is a single door.

18 months onwards, they start to develop a sense of fear and self preservation. Rather than throwing a TV remote they'll hand it to you!

Just some thoughts.

18 months onwards, they start to develop a sense of fear and self preservation. Rather than throwing a TV remote they'll hand it to you!

Just some thoughts.

My teenagers still managed to chuck it instead! ;)

Re support I don't see why that's any different to being in a house..?

Both our families live at least 100 miles away in opposite directions, and I can't imagine any of my friends 'helping' as such.

But this isn't a boat issue!

Oh and I don't consider husband to be 'help'? His baby too!

Not liveaboards but have boated with 3 children since they were born - now all in their 20s.

When they were younger we made it a rigid rule that while boating life jackets must be put on before leaving the cabin and kept on until going back inside - every time. When leaving the boat to go away from the water, life jacket taken off at the last moment and children carefully supervised until well clear of the water's edge.

And take them swimming at the earliest opportunity to get them used to being in water. Your local pool will almost certainly offer mother-and-baby swimming sessions.

• Greenie 1

Congratulations.

Our daughter was born January last year and we had fantastic help and support from our midwife and health visitor. They're there to help and advise you so make use of them, just use some common sense and judgement as they're limited to sticking to official advise on some issues.

We have no family nearby (150 miles away) and think we manage very well. You do need to be organised and ruthless with what to keep and what to get rid of - particularly with regard to toys. Babies and toddlers really don't need lots of expensive and bulky toys, they need sensory things and interaction!

One modification we did is remove one of the dinette benches to create a bit more floor space to play and roll around in. We've also got a retractable roller style safety gate across the front of the boat to keep Lily away from the front doors and fire. We found this style at safety gate much more suited to the odd sizes on boats. We also found an old fashioned Milton sterilising bucket much better and easier than steam or microwave sterilisers (but we do live off grid).

Definitely keep pram/buggy in car and use a sling for carrying baby to and from car etc. Sling has had an amazing amount of use and one of our best buys! Try out several types before you buy though (sling library?) as different slings suit different people (even consider one each).

Also don't under estimate the amount of extra laundry a new born baby can create! Particularly if (as in our case) you decide to use reusable nappies and you have a baby that suffers from very bad reflux!

Also be prepared for midwife and health visitor to tell you off for having to many blankets on the baby in a warm boat!

Finally enjoy what is a wonderful experience and make the most of your time with your baby - is amazing just how quickly the time goes!

Hope this is of stove help. If we can offer any further help or advise just ask.

Click on the following link of photos of our boat and check out the space by the dinette for play time. (Boat not usually that tidy - photos were just taken for selling!) Just to put mind at rest we're only selling because we want to change to a cruiser stern - we can never see ourselves leaving the cut!

Photos of boat: https://goo.gl/photos/iaUUppsA2rMjjTbZ8

Tom and Becky

Edited by Tom and Bex

Just another boaty family here to add to the voices saying you'll be fine. We've got a 14 month old onboard. She's been brought up on the boat. First words were duck, bird and quack. And she had no fear of swans.

We're reluctantly moving to a house soon, but only temporarily till we get a bigger boat; we've another little one due in summer and we haven't got space to put another bedroom in.

Everything Tom and Becky says above is true. Just make the most of it, and when people try to tell you how dangerous it is for kids on boats just tell them that at least yours wont fall down stairs or stick their fingers in a plug socket!

From Narrow Boats at work: Re Sister Mary Ward, "You know she even helps set the locks, and can wind a paddle, but she says winding paddles is not a woman's work....."

Its certainly a womans work on this boat. Come along and tell my missus to do the steering and for me to do the locks if you have the bottle biggrin.png

Hello all.

I'm just looking for any advice / experiences..

We are expecting our first in June and live aboard a 60ft nb at a marina.

Does anyone have any tips or insights into living aboard with a baby?

TIA!

My repeated experience is that people 'in authority' love to butt in whenever you allow them.

Sadly you need to keep them on board rather than telling them to feck orf. Best to keep them at arms length wherever possible but don't underestimate they ability to make things difficult if you alienate them.

Toilets are especially fascinating. Remote controls and/or mobile phones can be dropped down them to see if they flush away like poo does. Hard bread sticks can be dipped into them to soften them up for eating. Not a likely hazard nowadays (especially on a boat), but toast can be inserted into a video recorder as well as eaten. Many other possibilities for mayhem will be found, some previously unknown to science. Enjoy ;-)