Easter Boat Gathering @ Ellesmere Port

junior

Featured Posts

It is the same weekend as the Historic Narrow Boat Club's Easter gathering at Brownhills on the BCN, and "historics" will have the choice of one or the other.

Brownhills may be possible for us, but the Port would be more than we can manage, although we would ove to make it there at some future Easter.

Who is Danny?

• 4 weeks later...

Definite no, from us, I'm afraid Ange.  Too much on to take the boat that far.  Hope to be doing the HNBC event at Pelsall that weekend though.  Still a big trip, but not quite sch a big trip!

With gearbox still out were not doing port this year although we had planned to.

Were now even debating if we can make the hnboc one as were running out of time to start moving if box is back in by now and end of month even with old gears in well be pushing the 6-7 day trip in 3 weekends, so were thinking braunstone may now be our first trip this year.

I'll be there on Saturday - but by road - with my Alarum Theatre hat on with Heather Wastie performing our double bill of theatre, poetry and song about the wartime trainees: Idle Women of the Wartime Waterways.

We're about to start a major tour recreating the journey that the GUCC women worked - recognising that they weren't the only women at work on the boats during the war! The dates are all just about finalised and on our website www.alarumtheatre.co.uk

Might see you there :-)

We'll be there with the stand so come and find us.

Would love to take Tawny as accommodation, but it's a long way and we've got too much to do to get ready for our first show of the season. And we'd have to get her back in time for the BCN challenge.

It's 7 1/2 days at 7 hours per day so just too far. She will be at Braunston, but not in the parade obviously.

Sue

We went to the Port last weekend. Have to say very disappointed. Dead as a do-do, we knew the museum was closed but..........

we moored. Down in the 'basin' for four pounds a night, what for ive no idea.

Anyway, with all the boats there and lots of people and the museum and Cafe up and running I'm sure it's a different place. 

Wheres all the pubs?

Edited by Nightwatch

The nearest pub is just outside the back door, and then further drinking establishments can be found in the town, which is out the back door, past under the motorway and over past the railway bridge, including a Wetherspoons.

Just now, Liam said:

The nearest pub is just outside the back door, and then further drinking establishments can be found in the town, which is out the back door, past under the motorway and over past the railway bridge, including a Wetherspoons.

The nearest pub used to be known as somewhere to hire a lady of negotiable affections and the rest of the pubs in town weren't exactly havens for a quiet pint, have they improved?

Speaking as an ex resident of the town

I've only been in Wetherspoons in the past few years of visiting.

The last time I went to go in the one directly behind the museum about 7 years ago, after just boating to EP via the Ship Canal for Easter, the door burst open just as I went for the door handle, the result of a bloke having been beaten up and then thrown out.

I stayed for 1 pint with a mate and then went back to the boat for a bit of peace.

It's called the Horse & Jockey if I remember rightly.

I had a cracking night with cracking company at the Horse & Jockey during last years Easter Gathering. Weatherspoons in town is good too, as is the all you can eat Sunday buffet at the Indian by the station. 

Are you going to the port this easter Liam?

34 minutes ago, junior said:

I had a cracking night with cracking company at the Horse & Jockey during last years Easter Gathering. Weatherspoons in town is good too, as is the all you can eat Sunday buffet at the Indian by the station. 

Are you going to the port this easter Liam?

There used to be a bloody fantastic curry house on one of the side roads just over the Westminster bridge, won all sorts of awards, unfortunately I dont know if its still there

56 minutes ago, Liam said:

I've only been in Wetherspoons in the past few years of visiting.

The last time I went to go in the one directly behind the museum about 7 years ago, after just boating to EP via the Ship Canal for Easter, the door burst open just as I went for the door handle, the result of a bloke having been beaten up and then thrown out.

I stayed for 1 pint with a mate and then went back to the boat for a bit of peace.

It's called the Horse & Jockey if I remember rightly.

Yup that follows my memories of the place but tbh the port was very tribal and it definitely wasn't a pub for a bloke from the other side of town :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 03:05, Ange said:

We're thinking about going. Anyone else? It'd be good to know who to look out for and maybe organise a banter. We've been woefully short of banters of late.

Can't go I'm afraid. I agree about the shortage of banters though, I've got a van that needs a run.