Castlefield moorings

Narrowjack

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm after some up to date info on visitor mooring in Castlefield basin.

We're thinking of doing a run up to Manchester 2nd week of Easter and last time I was there (it was a while ago) a resident told me peel holdings were going to let off a lot of the space as permanent moorings, which I believe came to fruition.

It was not always easy to get a decent slot there anyway, so I imagine it's pretty hard now, especially at peak periods.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I was there last week. Most of the boats that were there are on long term moorings but they are not marked. we were sitting having a cup of tea when a boat returned and we were on his moorings. Only two of the boats there were visiting.

I would say there are probably space for about 6 to 8 boats there manly against the carpark side but a couple at the end on the other side next to the hording. This was on the arm to the left as you come down the Rochdale 9

There's always New Islington a few locks up the Rochdale. Are you coming up the Bridgewater or the Ashton? If the Ashton then new Islington is only 2? Locks away from piccadilly basin. Good facilities.

One has to wonder whether he had any "official" claim on your space!

Yes, I had already been speaking to one of the long term moorers there, They have requested the Bridgwater puts notices up but nothing has happened, one or two have made their own. He did say there was talk and only talk of moving all longterm to the right and make all that side long term, in front of the flats where most are. Then make the carpark side all visitor moorings. He said its not unusual for confrontation discussions to take place between visitor and long term.

Yes, you mean the Staffordshire arm, over towards the museum?

I've always been a little Leary of that side as it doesn't appear too salubrious and seems a little isolated.... Any experience of mooring that side?

I agree! Not only are the trains closer but the area seems to attract shall we say a less than desirable type.....

Yes, you mean the Staffordshire arm, over towards the museum?

I've always been a little Leary of that side as it doesn't appear too salubrious and seems a little isolated.... Any experience of mooring that side?

We have moored there before and it is noisier due to the trains but we have only been disturbed once when a film crew and catering van turned up for some overnight filming.

They did treat us to bacon butties in the morning though.

If you moor on the offside you won't get people passing your boat in the early hours of the morning.