Electric points on the Trent and Chesterfield

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm heading that way soon and was having a look at the boater's guides on waterscape. Now, I know they're out of date now, but they seem to indicate that there are a lot of VMs with the ampy type electric bollards on the Trent and the Chesterfield. Does anyone know:

1. Are they still there?

2. Are they still taking the ampy cards or are they now on the smartmeter system?

For those who don't know, the ampy bollards are the type which take the £5 pre-payment cards which some CRT pump-outs use.

Ta!

Certainly the ones on the Trent are still there, and, they take £x cards available from the lock-keeper.

They deduct an 'amount' (cannot remember if it is 1-unit) each time you insert it into the meter, so if just staying overnight, you put it in, it deducts a 'unit', you then use (say) half a unit but a total of 2 units are deducted, same again on the next moorings, the next night. Its an expensive way of going on unless you intend to stay for a few days and not run you engine ;

HOWEVER

Remember that the moorings on the Trent are 48 hour and it is the stomping ground of Enforcement officer Gardner (he of river Trent Section 8s fame)

Certainly the ones on the Trent are still there, and, they take £x cards available from the lock-keeper.

They deduct an 'amount' (cannot remember if it is 1-unit) each time you insert it into the meter, so if just staying overnight, you put it in, it deducts a 'unit', you then use (say) half a unit but a total of 2 units are deducted, same again on the next moorings, the next night. Its an expensive way of going on unless you intend to stay for a few days and not run you engine ;

HOWEVER

Remember that the moorings on the Trent are 48 hour and it is the stomping ground of Enforcement officer Gardner (he of river Trent Section 8s fame)

Thanks Alan.

I enquired about using the electricity at West Stockwith, as a visitor , and received a refusal. A shame really as we have in recent times visited there a couple of times a year and would be happy to pay.

There is electricity at Cromwell Lock on the 48hr upstream visitor pontoon. It uses pre purchase cards obtainable from the lock keeper - assuming they haven't changed the bollards. The trick is not to remove the card until you are ready to depart. It seems only to deduct one unit per visit.

Also at the pontoon in Newark near the C&RT offices has electricity - but I am not sure if that is using the same cards of some other system.

Otherwise there is nothing on the C&RT moorings at the locks at Torksey, Nether, Town ,Hazelford, Gunthorpe , Stoke or Holme.

There is power at the Boat Club @ Clayworth on the Chesterfield and they allow visitors for mooring. Equally in Retford the Hop Pole pub allow mooring (I beleive you need to book a table as well) and they have power. Give me a shout when you are passing through!