Limescale in toilet pipes

Featured Posts

Unfortunately another 'cross you have to bear' with a pump-out system.

You can buy a 'wizzy-wire' that you put into drill, poke the wizzy-wire into the blocked pipe, start the drill and the wire thrashes about breaking up the limescale, keep pushing it forward so it progresses down the pipe until all the lime scale is broken down and the pipe is clear.

You tend to get limescale blockages if you do not use enough flushing water, and / or the predominant users are male.

The most effective method is to remove the pipe entirely and bang it end on until the scale all falls out.

Be aware, this is a smelly and messy solution, but means you do not introduce nasty chemicals into your holding tank.

In my experience this is definitely the quickest and easiest method. Also make sure the non return valve is still supple enough to work.

Agree with all the above. It's not actually limescale but uric acid scale, the curse of pub bogs. Once you've got it clear, regular (say once per month) use of phosphoric acid to flush through the macerator and pipes will stop it building up again. You want 8-10% concentration available expensively as LeeScale or buy 5 litres of concentrated phosphoric off eBay for about the same price as half a litre of LeeScale and dilute it down yourself.

Leave it in the bowl and macerator for a couple of hours to a couple of days then just let it flush through in its own time. Don't leave it in the macerator for more than a week or it will eat the stainless steel blades...

By all means, try any or all of the above methods.

In the end you will replace the pipes.

Replace them now, and save the time, money, and trouble.

Bod

+1 once the pipes are scaled up enough to be blocked, or almost so, no safe amount of any acid will break it down.

Lovely problem...

Seems my toilet won't flush anymore and on investigation the pipes are clogged with limescale (I think)

It's formed a solid barrier in the pipe leading to the black tank.

Is there anything safe I can use as a de-scaler?

Had this problem when we had a pump out toilet with holding tank in the engine room. Solution was to disconnect pipe work both ends the attaché a wet vac to end nearest the holding tank, then tap the pipes gently with a hammer. This took some time to do but got it cleared in the end.

The Recovery Solution is the one I mentioned. ☺

Indeed, or, having taken it off, just put a fresh pipe in there, the stuff's not that expensive and the big hassle is getting it off. Braidbar seal it with Sikaflex and double clip it, so removal is not easy and involves a lot of graduate level swearing :(

I've had this problem in my job, on average every 3x months and yes, it is easy to remove by taking the pipe off and tapping it ..... smelly and grosss :) but easy to do or replace the pipe (not as cheap as cleaning the old one.

When I worked offshore our urinals flushed with sea water, the pipes use to get in hell of a state.

Now they are mostly FW flushed vacuum toilets, we used Unitor "Gamazyne" biological toilet products (cleaner, descaler etc) link to website below:

http://wssproducts.wilhelmsen.com/marine-chemicals/cleaning-and-maintenance-1/bio-chemicals