Coffee machine won't run on new boat

Amber34

Featured Posts

On 19/03/2017 at 22:00, WotEver said:

Sorry, if you can't be bothered to link to the post I certainly can't be bothered to search for it :P

So you agree post numbers being restored would save you having to search for it then. Well done! We are making slight progress at last.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

So you agree post numbers being restored would save you having to search for it then. Well done! We are making slight progress at last.

Not at all. 

If you've bothered to go searching for the post the least you could do is to have the courtesy of sharing the link. 

30-15

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

So can anyone with taste buds. What has that got to do with Aldi and Waitrose?

Because Aldis sell the same stuff as Waitrose in different packaging to people with more sense than badge buyers shopping at Waitrose.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Because Aldis sell the same stuff as Waitrose in different packaging to people with more sense than badge buyers shopping at Waitrose.

Are you sure.... Aldis pasties and pies are not as good as pies I get from Sainsburys and Tesco and, occasionally, from Waitrose. Aldi steaks and cheese are good, as are their honey roast nuts... but I dont think they are rebadged Waitrose stuff??

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Take a trip to Italy where coffee has long been the national drink and try a cup over there where they've not been brainwashed by tax-dodging American conglomerates and you'll see what real quality coffee tastes like. 

Couldn't agree more. I have spent a fortune over the years trying to buy beans and machines that can emulate the taste of Italian coffee, without success.

I was last over there in 2012 doing some factory testing and they gave us free access to the office coffee vending machine. Even the coffee from that was better that most of the coffee I have tasted in this country.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Couldn't agree more. I have spent a fortune over the years trying to buy beans and machines that can emulate the taste of Italian coffee, without success.

I was given a batch of date-expired Douwe Egberts vacuum packed ground coffee by a publican friend. It's perfectly fine still and using it in a Bravilor machine makes the best filter coffee I've tasted over here. Sadly it doesn't work as well in an espresso machine and like you I've yet to find a blend that does. Most U.K. ground coffee is way too bitter. 

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I was given a batch of date-expired Douwe Egberts vacuum packed ground coffee by a publican friend. It's perfectly fine still and using it in a Bravilor machine makes the best filter coffee I've tasted over here. Sadly it doesn't work as well in an espresso machine and like you I've yet to find a blend that does. Most U.K. ground coffee is way too bitter. 

We as you know are a caff/bistro we dont sell a terrific amount of coffee but nevertheless we still use about 5 kilos of coffee a week. Being in catering we have access by umpteen suppliers to every kind of coffee available. We buy always Kenco medium roast and serve it in good old fashioned cafetiere fashion, no silly crappy, flappy, floppy chinos. We are often complimented on how good our coffee is and asked how we " Do it " 

Coffee has been turned into a marketing fiasco by multi million pound companies just wanting to make more millions. Buy a good quality bog standard coffee and drink it and dont be bamboozled by all the hype and silliness. Just as an after thought we only buy proper milk no semi skimmed, skimmed, lactose free, almond, coconut,soya etc etc etc as we would need forty fridges for all the nonsense. Unless with a genuine allergy ( those people always carry their own stuff ) joe public always likes proper milk as its their " Guilty secret " having one of our coffees with real milk rather than the " semi " they buy at home. We will start serving semis skimmed milk when cows start producing it.

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just as an after thought we only buy proper milk no semi skimmed, skimmed, lactose free, almond, coconut,soya etc etc etc as we would need forty fridges for all the nonsense. 

If dairy happens to make you ill for a day or two, as it does my daughter Soya and Almond aren't nonsense.   Fortunately more and more cafes are prepared to go the extra mile and keep Soya for those who need it.

23 hours ago, WotEver said:

I was watching a documentary on coffee recently and a supplier of beans said "People's tastes are changing and they're wanting a more bitter bean than in years past". Yes they are, because they've been conned by the likes of Starbucks into believing that bitter coffee is 'proper' coffee. Take a trip to Italy where coffee has long been the national drink and try a cup over there where they've not been brainwashed by tax-dodging American conglomerates and you'll see what real quality coffee tastes like. 

I just wish that Starbucks would stop using the word "coffee" to describe what it is that they do!

Edited by mattlad
Typo

Have you seen the McDonalds add for their coffee? It is a bit of reverse psychology marketing..."but all I want is a coffee".. not that I want to try it myself mind. But it is exactly what I think when confronted by a myriad of blends and concoctions.

4 minutes ago, Paringa said:

Have you seen the McDonalds add for their coffee? It is a bit of reverse psychology marketing..."but all I want is a coffee".. not that I want to try it myself mind. But it is exactly what I think when confronted by a myriad of blends and concoctions.

Things will go full circle. Joe Public is quite gullible when it comes to marketing. People come in to our caff and ask for all manner of silly named coffees such as crapachino, latte, flat white, long white, skinny, flippy, floppy, jobby the list is endless. We say we only do cafetieres and they say " Fine " thats great or whatever or some say I will have tea then ( they are the ones that dont like coffee anyway ) At present the public for the last couple of years are falling for " Prosecco " to prove my point listen to how often its refered to on tv etc. Until it was pushed a couple of years ago most people hadnt heard of it and " cahardonnay " was oft asked for. Prosecco is just a cheap naff alternative to Champagne. Why else would cocal cola be a worlds best seller if it wasnt down to good marketing as in reality it is rubbish. Macdonalds although their food is inedible have it right with this add.

• Greenie 1

Back in the 70's me and a few mates bought a dozen of crates of champagne. Except it wasn't called champagne because it was made outside of Champagne. The label stated 'Method Champagnoise'. Same grapes, similar region, same method but a tenth the price. It was lovely. It didn't have a trendy name  

Prosecco will go the same way as Asti Spumante, Piesporter Michelsberg and Beaujolais Nouveau. It'll be forgotten in 5 years. 

In the mean time I'll continue to drink cheap but tasty plonk :)

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

In the mean time I'll continue to drink cheap but tasty plonk :)

Isn't that what Prosecco is?  I have seen a number of blind tastings where the tasters prefered Prosecco to Champagne.  I am not particularly keen on any wine.

At around a fiver a bottle it is certainly cheap.

When a mob of us were touring the Cherbourg peninsula on bicycles we stopped at a cafe-B&B in Port Bail. Being on bikes we were always made welcome. On this occasion we were told to put our bikes in their back yard shed for safety. It was there bottle and wine shed. Two big barrels on trestles with taps on, one white and one red wine, local plonk.  In the the corner was a massive heap of empty wine bottles of every label and date imaginable, complete with corks. In the dining room that evening we were entertained by a posh British couple dining behind us. The  posh show off chap had summoned the waiter to order wine which went something like, waitah! a bottle of La Chatteu poop de pom 1962 please there's a good chap The waiter sloped off to get it with a smirk on his face and returned pulling the cork from the La Chatteu poop de pom bottle on his approach. Poured out the usual little taster which the posh chap swirled around, sniffed, swirled around and sniffed again, held it up to the light to check the colour and for any bits floating about and took a sip, just a small sip as if he was taking communion and declared it ''jolly excellent old chap'' to the waiter. The waiter sloped off with another smirk. The wine was undoubtedly out of one of the barrels of plonk poured into one of the appropriate empty bottles. Goodness knows what the posh bloke paid for that bottle of plonk. We were probably drinking the same stuff at a tiny weeny fraction of the price.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:43, WotEver said:

I was watching a documentary on coffee recently and a supplier of beans said "People's tastes are changing and they're wanting a more bitter bean than in years past". Yes they are, because they've been conned by the likes of Starbucks into believing that bitter coffee is 'proper' coffee. Take a trip to Italy where coffee has long been the national drink and try a cup over there where they've not been brainwashed by tax-dodging American conglomerates and you'll see what real quality coffee tastes like. 

not true, Italian coffee is dark roasted, very dark and bitter, quality coffee is roasted to a level that suits the bean, all variety's require different roast profiles, the roaster is trying to get the natural flavours' from the bean, a sweet spot if you like.