Coffee machine won't run on new boat

Amber34

Featured Posts

Unless it was genuinely a coincidence, as my former housemate was led to believe (by me), then I can vouch for the fact that GHD straighteners really do not like modified sine wave inverters. In fact they stop working permanently in disgust. Who takes hair straighteners to a festival, anyway?

Didn't GIbbo work for Sterling before he became a super star

No, but when I told him what Charles had said he replied "A perfectly fair response if I may say so"

IIRC He worked for the importers of Xantex Freedom inverter chargers

Yes, I believe he did a lot of work on the Heart Interface stuff.

I use a Nespresso on board. It's about 3 or 4 years old and works fine on a Pure Sine Wave 2500W inverter charger.

I know the OP has a quasi sine wave, but thought the above worth knowing for some.

Interesting. My Mastervolt is, or claims to be, PSW, but as I say the Nespresso runs very unevenly on it. There are actually two manufacturers, aren't there, Magimix (mine) and, I think, Bosch. The guts are supposed to be the same in both, but I wonder if they use different chips, one of which is pickier about waveform than the other.

Interesting. My Mastervolt is, or claims to be, PSW, but as I say the Nespresso runs very unevenly on it. There are actually two manufacturers, aren't there, Magimix (mine) and, I think, Bosch. The guts are supposed to be the same in both, but I wonder if they use different chips, one of which is pickier about waveform than the other.

This is something that I am questioning - my old machine is a Krups, the two new ones are Magimix.

We'll not have a chance to test it for another 3-4 weeks, but taking the others back (If the old machine doesn't run on the boat, then I'd end up with 3 machines at home!) and looking into alternatives for my caffeine fix as I'm not convinced Himself will be wanting to get me an alternative boat or new inverter just to run my Nespresso!

We have a magimix U Nespresso and it runs fine on our Mastervolt 2500w PSW Combi.

Nowt wrong with an old school percolator used on the gas stove, they worked great years ago and still work great today. Look up Von Chef on eBay.

Phil

Quite right. Must get another as ours sprung a leak and was binned after much use.....proper coffee like the old westerns always on the top of the squirrell in winter lol. No leccy or expensive pods etc.

Pretty sure mine's a Magimix.

41169ZAI08L._SY300_.jpg

I don't see what's wrong with one of these, the italians all use them at home.

I don't use those because they are made from aluminium, which is (or used to be) associated with dementia.

So far I haven't caught it (I don't think), which I put down to my studious avoidance of aluminium cookware.

41169ZAI08L._SY300_.jpg

There's an argument for a proper espresso machine for the pressure but, in my opinion, kitchen space is precious and the domestic ones are crap.

Of course you can make coffee with filter/percolator/cafetière etc or even instant. But the point is that you get a completely different taste from each of those, with the pressure pumped machines giving a taste I prefer. Since the amount of energy used to make a Nespresso cup is minimal I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy the type of coffee I like. Yes it is true that space is a consideration but we keep ours in a corner of the worktop, under a wall cupboard - space that isn't much use for anything other than storing things. And we chose the U because of its pretty small footprint. Edited by nicknorman

41169ZAI08L._SY300_.jpg

There's an argument for a proper espresso machine for the pressure but, in my opinion, kitchen space is precious and the domestic ones are crap.

It's main flaw is that it is made from aluminum. As are Nespresso pods. Having used one of these for a couple of years I don't think it makes better coffee than a Nespresso.

I have a new 12v Handpresso that takes Lavazza Mio capsules. It claims to operate at 16 bar which is more than enough to make a decent cup. It will draw up to 12A for 2 minutes so that's about 0.4Ah per cup. I haven't used it yet but as I move a considerable distance pretty much every day I am on the boat I am not worried about power consumption.

I think Mrs P may have bought it as much for her own benefit as mine as she likes her home comforts whereas I am not bothered when I go boating. If we wanted to take our Nespresso on board I think a new boat would be required first.

JP

Anyone done a Google search on the environmental impact of coffee pods?

anyone give a toss?

anyone realise how much aluminium you have to eat to increase dementia risk?

anyone thought about a stainless moka machine?

no? didn't think so.

My brother took his small percolator for use on our boat when he borrowed it last year. It wouldn't stand on the grid over any of the gas burners.

i could have probably found it quicker if i knew what is was called....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/gas-ring-reducer

not convinced about the name but it looks like ebay is struggling too.

I don't use those because they are made from aluminium, which is (or used to be) associated with dementia.

How many Italians suffer from dementia? Two thirds the amount of UK citizens. And everyone in Italy (and most Spaniards too) use those coffee percs.

Interesting statistics: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alzheimers-dementia/by-country/

i could have probably found it quicker if i knew what is was called....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/gas-ring-reducer

not convinced about the name but it looks like ebay is struggling too.

I used a small offcut of stainless wire mesh that I found kicking around somewhere. It worked for years.