Looking for a boat to rent on the Kennet and Avon

vintagescubaman

Featured Posts

Hello

a friend of mine is moving to the Aldermaston wharf area and is presently house hunting. I suggested he should look for a boat to rent for the short term as it would be right up his street. Does anyone know of a boat to rent, preferably with a mooring on the Kennet and Avon in commutable distance to Aldermaston wharf? I guess that would be between Reading and Newbury.

Many thanks

I'm afraid it's not normally quite as simple as that. My understanding is that unless your friend can find a boat on a residential mooring then the boat owner isn't legally permitted to rent it out.

.... unless he can find a hire company who will give him a deal for a few out-of-season months.

it must be worth ringing round.

.... unless he can find a hire company who will give him a deal for a few out-of-season months.

it must be worth ringing round.

But will he not then be struggling to find a mooring where he doesn't need to move every few days ?

Without a mooring and 'hook-up', will he understand the needs of battery charging, toilet emptying, water tank filling etc etc ?

(It appears he is not a 'boater' and needs a permanent base to be able to commute to work)

Your friend should request the join the K&A facebook page. Renting mostly goes on down the Western End, less boats at the Eastern End, partly because much of it is an evil river so not for the inexperienced. Renting a small flat would be a whole lot easier.

..............Dave

I'm afraid it's not normally quite as simple as that. My understanding is that unless your friend can find a boat on a residential mooring then the boat owner isn't legally permitted to rent it out.

As its a temporary arrangement, a leisure mooring will be fine.

I am inclined to suggest renting a room in a house will present fewer trip-ups for him though. A room in a nice house but sharing a kitchen and batroom is £250-£300 a month in the Newbury/Reading area. I'd imagine even an 'under the radar' boat rental would be a lot more than that.

I am inclined to suggest renting a room in a house will present fewer trip-ups for him though. A room in a nice house but sharing a kitchen and batroom is £250-£300 a month in the Newbury/Reading area. I'd imagine even an 'under the radar' boat rental would be a lot more than that.

Totally agree: I am renting a room in a house and it's a whole lot less hassle if what you really need is temporary accommodation. I'm sitting on my boat as I type this so I have simultaneous experience of both options!

Totally agree: I am renting a room in a house and it's a whole lot less hassle if what you really need is temporary accommodation. I'm sitting on my boat as I type this so I have simultaneous experience of both options!

No, strictly you have sequential experience in close temporal proximity.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

I didn't know that, can anyone tell me more? What exactly constitutes "temporary" and is temporarily renting out a boat on a leisure mooring a grey area or perfectly legal?

Edited by blackrose

It certainly is 'grey'

To rent out a boat you need a business licence, 'business' level BSSC, and business insurance.

To obtain a business hire licence there are all sorts of hurdles to jump thru' - one of which it must have a 'home mooring', others requirements include waste disposal facilities, toilet emptying facilities, car parking space, etc etc.

It certainly is 'grey'

To rent out a boat you need a business licence, 'business' level BSSC, and business insurance.

To obtain a business hire licence there are all sorts of hurdles to jump thru' - one of which it must have a 'home mooring', others requirements include waste disposal facilities, toilet emptying facilities, car parking space, etc etc.

Ok thanks, so it's not "fine" then?

Edited by blackrose

Another thing to bear in mind;

I know someone who rented a boat on a 'private' arrangement last year. It sank within a week and all possessions and money were lost. It was impossible for them to claim back any costs as this was not a formal arrangement with insurance in place. Caveat emptor as they say.

Another thing to bear in mind;

I know someone who rented a boat on a 'private' arrangement last year. It sank within a week and all possessions and money were lost. It was impossible for them to claim back any costs as this was not a formal arrangement with insurance in place. Caveat emptor as they say.

Something similar happened on the Mac last month...

No, strictly you have sequential experience in close temporal proximity.

...............Dave

clapping.giflaugh.png

Thank you Dave!tongue.png

This morning I woke up at the lodgings, drove for two hours and, amongst other things, had lunch on the boat, tonight I'm back at the lodgings

Some days I wake up in the morning at the boat and go to bed that night at the lodgings, or vice versa. If we were talking about girlfriends sociologists would call this "concurrent" and everyone else would call me a lot of rude names...

Fact remains, if you need temporary accomodation, go for lodgings, I get far more grief from Lutine than from my landlady

clapping.giflaugh.png

Thank you Dave!tongue.png

This morning I woke up at the lodgings, drove for two hours and, amongst other things, had lunch on the boat, tonight I'm back at the lodgings

Some days I wake up in the morning at the boat and go to bed that night at the lodgings, or vice versa. If we were talking about girlfriends sociologists would call this "concurrent" and everyone else would call me a lot of rude names...

Fact remains, if you need temporary accomodation, go for lodgings, I get far more grief from Lutine than from my landlady

And how often do you surface into semi-consciousness believing you are on the boat then discovering you are in your lodgings? And vice versa?

I do this constantly. Reach out to turn the radio on and there is nothing there!

And how often do you surface into semi-consciousness believing you are on the boat then discovering you are in your lodgings? And vice versa?

I do this constantly. Reach out to turn the radio on and there is nothing there!

I use to have that problem working Offshore changing from platform to platform, often wake up even at home and not have a clue where I was

Crikey

I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly, I should have checked back sooner! I think he wants to live on a boat as more of a lifestyle choice and try it out before buying his own. That's what I did 10 years ago and a very good idea it was too, it was a private arrangement rather than an official rental.

I take it that nobody knows of a boat to rent?

Crikey

I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly, I should have checked back sooner! I think he wants to live on a boat as more of a lifestyle choice and try it out before buying his own. That's what I did 10 years ago and a very good idea it was too, it was a private arrangement rather than an official rental.

I take it that nobody knows of a boat to rent?

If you are talking about a private arrangement then probably no body is going to post on here if they do, because probably the person renting the boat would be breaking the bylaws and possibly the law as well