Tug Ezra For Sale

David Mack

Featured Posts

So we have a few interesting opinions, and a general consensus that EZRA is overpriced at £33950 for a 20 year old boat without sanitary facilities - but what are the opinions of the great and good as to what this boat is actually worth, apart from the obvious - what somebody is prepared to pay for it ?

captain.gif

Ok as no-one else seems to have understood your question I'll kick off.

Given the boat is on ho historical interest othert than the engine, and it is a day boat only as there is no shower, I'd be happy to pay about £15k for it.

Or put another way, to make it a useable hobby boat it needs a shower room. Adding one will cost about £20k I reckon, given the hull needs stretching by 3ft. Oncve a shower room has been fitted I reckon the boat will be worth £35k. Or £40k if the seller gets lucky.

Given the boat is on ho historical interest othert than the engine, and it is a day boat only as there is no shower, I'd be happy to pay about £15k for it.

I am inclined to think that the engine is of little 'historical interest' as it is an industrial unit mated to a modern PRM gearbox, but clearly it has a reasonable exhaust note.

I am also confused by the length being quoted for EZRA as 37' when it appears to be licensed as 35', and the Tyler Wilson website states 36'. It would be nice if any potential purchasers knew what they were getting, and this also goes for the accompanying plan which does not give any dimensions captain.gif

I am inclined to think that the engine is of little 'historical interest' as it is an industrial unit mated to a modern PRM gearbox, but clearly it has a reasonable exhaust note.

I meant it is of historical interest purely because it is an old engine of a type no longer made, and lots of people find such engines rather interesting..

I am also confused by the length being quoted for EZRA as 37' when it appears to be licensed as 35', and the Tyler Wilson website states 36'. It would be nice if any potential purchasers knew what they were getting, and this also goes for the accompanying plan which does not give any dimensions captain.gif

I noticed that discrepancy too. Am I being cynical, or isn't "advertised" length often slightly in excess of "licensing" length? I would exclude some brokers from that comment, e.g. ABNB who give an exact length to the nearest inch.

It can work the other way. We bought our first boat 'Octavia' from Whilton Marina, who advertised it as a 40-footer. We took their word for it, and licensed the boat as a 40-footer. When we came to sell it, the (different) broker measured it and found it to be a 39-footer.

I think I understood the question, and to be fair did acknowledge I wasn't answering it. (My point was that comparing "historics" with "non historics" is pretty much a non starter.)

If I try to now, I think being realistic, maybe this is somewhere around the "mid £20,000s" bracket.

I would however have thought the market for something this basic, and with no historical provenance beyond an old engine was fairly limited. I can't see there being that many potential buyers.

It's a pretty boat, but certainly not any kind of "replica" or "remake".

I noticed that discrepancy too. Am I being cynical, or isn't "advertised" length often slightly in excess of "licensing" length? I would exclude some brokers from that comment, e.g. ABNB who give an exact length to the nearest inch.

It can work the other way. We bought our first boat 'Octavia' from Whilton Marina, who advertised it as a 40-footer. We took their word for it, and licensed the boat as a 40-footer. When we came to sell it, the (different) broker measured it and found it to be a 39-footer.

It's always worth checking the length. Years ago when BW, as it then was, went metric they converted the length of our boat wrongly. I discovered the mistake many years later but managed to get over a hundred pounds refund for the overcharged licence.

I must dispute that! Surely I am not the only person who can go for more than a day without a shower?

PS. There is only one non-historic tug I'd be tempted by (and sorry, it's not Warrior) - Ian Kemp's Gazelle.

Edited by Chertsey

I must dispute that! Surely I am not the only person who can go for more than a day without a shower?

Quite,

I lived in a (back) cabin for 6 years, with no running water let alone a shower. Fresh water was kept in Cans on the cabin top and I kept myself clean with only a handbowl and hot water from a kettle (providing the fire was in). I had no fridge or gas cooker, although I did have a fairly rubbish Primus. I would also say I was very comfortable and this simplicity of boating was more about self discipline and routine - so to my eye EZRA looks to be luxurious as it has that little kitchen, with hot water on tap from a calorifier (however that works).

I appreciate that many boat owners now look for all of the facilities that can be found in a house, and clearly these are all achievable nowadays. My style of boating harks back to traditional boats where there is no need for invertors, calorifiers, flushing toilets, central heating e.t.c., but each to their own captain.gif

I lived in a (back) cabin for 6 years, with no running water let alone a shower. Fresh water was kept in Cans on the cabin top and I kept myself clean with only a handbowl and hot water from a kettle (providing the fire was in). I had no fridge or gas cooker, although I did have a fairly rubbish Primus. I would also say I was very comfortable and this simplicity of boating was more about self discipline and routine - so to my eye EZRA looks to be luxurious as it has that little kitchen, with hot water on tap from a calorifier (however that works).

So how did you run the computer, Pete?

PS. There is only one non-historic tug I'd be tempted by (and sorry, it's not Warrior) - Ian Kemp's Gazelle.

I can imagine that Gazelle is tempting you, she has very graceful lines, I know that Ian Kemp built her, but unless he bought her back, he's not her owner.

Peter.

So how did you run the computer, Pete?

I worked a pair of boats from 1979 to 1985, then owned my own large Woolwich pair from 1988 to 1990 - all of which only had back cabins. Back then invertors were not a common fitment, and computers were huge desktop items that were barely user friendly. I started researching boats in a more structured way in 1990 when we sold our large Woolwich pair and my sister gave me a computer with user friendly Windows 3.1 captain.gif

You are steadfast in your affections. On the internet I found an old CWDF thread from over five years ago in which you expressed the same sentiments. There's also a photo of 'Gazelle', confirming her pleasing proportions.

From that thread I also learned today's new word, or rather new usage: that a boat with no side windows is referred to as "blind". Funny, that, you'd think it would refer to one with no front windows...

Thought it would sound a bit less bangy and a bit more puffy. Although I don't know much about older engines, as you can possibly tell wink.png

Thought it would sound a bit less bangy and a bit more puffy. Although I don't know much about older engines, as you can possibly tell wink.png

May we compromise on "chuggy" or indeed "chuffy" (an expression coined, I think, by Ally Charlton, formerly of this forum)?

Do you know who owns Michaelangelo's David?

I dont think you'll tell me that that's yours is it ?

Btw if I would talk about your boat I would say Sarah's "Chertsey" and not Harland & Wolffs "Chertsey.

Possibly I would make it more clear by saying: "Sarah's Chertsey that was built by Harland & Wolff".

Peter.

clapping.gif

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

EZRA is now 'un-Ducked', and the Brokers website states 'under offer'.

I was going to take a look next week, so it would now appear that the Jaguar restoration fund might actually see through the Jaguar restoration after all - unless something else catches my eye of course captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

I wouldn't worry about missing out on Ezra too much Pete, having experienced a few Tyler/Wilson tugs I think a 'test drive' would have left you disappointed. Although the lines are good and the steelwork well finished, they seem to lack the heavy feel of a proper boat.

Maybe it's the shallow draught or over balanced rudder, there's just something that doesn't feel as right under way as a brinklow/Harris/kemp etc. If I was in the market for something similar I'd be chasing the owner of the Fuller tug moored above Hoo Mill lock. Apparently it's not for sale but it's been in the same state for years and there's no harm in asking..

If I was in the market for something similar I'd be chasing the owner of the Fuller tug moored above Hoo Mill lock. Apparently it's not for sale but it's been in the same state for years and there's no harm in asking..

The only Fuller built boat that has ever appealed to me is the tug HECTOR, complete with a Lister FR6 ! I do suspect that HECTOR would be out of my price bracket, which was a part of the appeal of EZRA.

To be honest I am not too bothered about returning to boat ownership, but if something comes up for sale that catches my eye and at a reasonable price then who knows captain.gif

I can remember HECTOR up for sale back in '98 when I was looking to buy something interesting. Complete with FR6 and saddle making workshop it was on at 24k! What is it they say about hindsight.. Another Fuller tug did tempt me from the classifieds, just as distinctive but with a slightly smaller engine. The one at Hoo Mill is certainly very shapely and I think is also one of his earlier shells. It's looked unloved for years, draped in a tarpaulin with no ballast- could be a bargain.